Confirmed with Link: Stanley signed - 2yrs, $900k

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
seems like a fair deal? even if he tops out as just a 3rd pair dman this is fine. i do think he could be a good partner with Pionk , but seems like the staff didn't trust him last year.....although somehow forbort's play cemented himself in that 2ld spot.

unsure if Stanley gets any burn next to Pionk this year with the Dillon addition.

Reactions: hn777

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I think anyone expecting over a million max were out to lunch. This kid has 40ish games of NHL experience having been sheltered for a lot of it. He's been very good on the 3rd pairing but this is a normal contract.
Very good with a good partner in DeMelo. We all saw what happened with Benn. I don't think folks have an idea on the level of sheltering that he received. And add in that it was in the worst division in the league. Outside of the five minutes where he scored two goals he was pretty meh. Are we getting carried away with the fact that because he actually played games he has been a success? That's a pretty low bar for a first round pick that you traded up for going into his draft +6 year. This year should be interesting to watch if nothing else. Hope it works out becuase clearly with the way the lineup is constructed they have decided that Stanley gives them a better chance than Heinola or Samberg for the next 2 years.

It will also be interesting to see what happens to Hienola and Samberg. Hienola is NHL ready now and will he want to play another year in the AHL or does he go back to Europe. One has to think that one or both gets traded.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Very good with a good partner in DeMelo. We all saw what happened with Benn. I don't think folks have an idea on the level of sheltering that he received. And add in that it was in the worst division in the league. Outside of the five minutes where he scored two goals he was pretty meh. Are we getting carried away with the fact that because he actually played games he has been a success? That's a pretty low bar for a first round pick that you traded up for going into his draft +6 year. This year should be interesting to watch if nothing else. Hope it works out becuase clearly with the way the lineup is constructed they have decided that Stanley gives them a better chance than Heinola or Samberg for the next 2 years.

It will also be interesting to see what happens to Hienola and Samberg. Hienola is NHL ready now and will he want to play another year in the AHL or does he go back to Europe. One has to think that one or both gets traded.

Not with what we saw of him with the Jets last season!

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

We also saw what happened with Poolman where he was good.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

You clearly were watching a different player than many of us were. Even in the first half of the season when he wisely played a very conservative game, he was rarely if ever a liability. As the season went on and he gained confidence, you got a taste of the great plays he could make with his reach, his pin-point outlet passes, his seeing-eye shot from the point (it's amazing that shot didn't find the back of the net more, or led to more rebounds or deflections), and of course his physical presence. He punished several players with big hits. Unlike a forward, sometimes it's a good thing when you don't really notice a defenseman. No highlights means no goals against.

And I know that the plus/minus stat is flawed if you look at it point-for-point. When you look at it as a whole, however, there's a story to tell. Sheltered or not, the Jets benefited far more with Stanley on the ice than the opposition did.

It also won't kill Heinola and Samberg to spend a little more time on the farm. Defensemen typically take longer to develop, and even though Heinola is likely NHL-ready now, he's far from developed physically. Spending another season (or half season) on in the AHL will only help him. It's not like he's dominating down there just yet. He's playing well and will get even better. No rush there.

Last edited:

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017

Way to spoil the good vibes for today.

I was hoping Stanley would prove his doubters wrong.
We need his size but he showed glimpses last year of having top 4 potential.

As for Hienola and Samberg.....Chevy is not giving away 2 of his best prospects.
They will continue to improve and be solid Jets players n the near future.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

This narrative is stale and getting staler by the minute.

First off, you are on a hockey forum with people that understand hockey, which also means we understand how rookies are developed in this league, and while you seem completely shocked by it, sheltering is normal for 22 year old d men getting their feet wet in the league.

He was much better than the 5 minutes 2 goal period, I think you failed to watch his game closely, because he did plenty of good things for us. Watch closer next time.

The bar was not set low by Stanley supporters , it was set low by his detractors that freaked out over the pick and needed to ensure that everyone understood how big a bust Stanley was going to be. Now that they are looking like they have no clue on how to assess hockey talent, the narrative now turns to sheltering and protecting, blah blah.

No we are not getting carried away with being happy with Stanley's development. Watching with our eyes, you can see that he has talent, brings several quality aspects to our back end, and his best days or years away.

If you want to burry your head in the sand, have at er, but please do not challenge our assessment of Stanley because it does not coincide with yours.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed. If anything this could indicate that the are nearing resolution with the other two RFAs, as they could’ve squeezed Stanley for a 1 year league min contract if necessary.
The just kept him in the expansion draft. Makes no sense to cause hard feelings. A couple years ago someone with Stanley’s promise likely gets 1.25 or so.

Reactions: surixon

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
This narrative is stale and getting staler by the minute.

First off, you are on a hockey forum with people that understand hockey, which also means we understand how rookies are developed in this league, and while you seem completely shocked by it, sheltering is normal for 22 year old d men getting their feet wet in the league.

He was much better than the 5 minutes 2 goal period, I think you failed to watch his game closely, because he did plenty of good things for us. Watch closer next time.

The bar was not set low by Stanley supporters , it was set low by his detractors that freaked out over the pick and needed to ensure that everyone understood how big a bust Stanley was going to be. Now that they are looking like they have no clue on how to assess hockey talent, the narrative now turns to sheltering and protecting, blah blah.

No we are not getting carried away with being happy with Stanley's development. Watching with our eyes, you can see that he has talent, brings several quality aspects to our back end, and his best days or years away.

If you want to burry your head in the sand, have at er, but please do not challenge our assessment of Stanley because it does not coincide with yours.

This is a great post. Always struck by how we all want to "confirm" our biases. I thought that Stanley would never make the NHL after watching him early.

This year, I was really PLEASANTLY surprised that I was wrong, and was struck by how calm the kid was in his own end, how crisp and heads up his passes were, and how he seemed to grow in confidence. An NHL defenseman for less than $1M in an $81 million cap league? Any way you slice that, its a good deal - sheltered, non sheltered, whatever. I also think he has upside...great job Jets.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The just kept him in the expansion draft. Makes no sense to cause hard feelings. A couple years ago someone with Stanley’s promise likely gets 1.25 or so.

This seems to be around the standard rate for a player just getting his foot in the door. I didn't expect anything over $1 million myself.

This is what you need to do in a cap league, develop good support pieces and make hay on them while they are on their rookie and bridge deals.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This seems to be around the standard rate for a player just getting his foot in the door. I didn't expect anything over $1 million myself.

This is what you need to do in a cap league, develop good support pieces and make hay on them while they are on their rookie and bridge deals.
Agreed it is around the standard rate, but a couple years back, pre covid the standard rate for a bridge with an expanding cap tended to be in the $1.2 range for promising players like Stanley.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Heinola can't go back to Europe, he is under contract for 3 more seasons. Samberg and Heinola will bide their time like most players and work on showcasing themselves in the A. Having players like this you can bring up without waivers gives us a lot of depth we haven't had for years. There will be injuries and both Samberg and Heinola will get games. At some point maybe they push into the starting roster, but we are in a position where we don't need to rush prospects, which is a good thing IMO.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Heinola can't go back to Europe, he is under contract for 3 more seasons. Samberg and Heinola will bide their time like most players and work on showcasing themselves in the A. Having players like this you can bring up without waivers gives us a lot of depth we haven't had for years. There will be injuries and both Samberg and Heinola will get games. At some point maybe they push into the starting roster, but we are in a position where we don't need to rush prospects, which is a good thing IMO.

Jets will more then likely be required to move on from DeMelo in a year. I expect one or both of Samberg/Heinola to be converted to RD on the Moose this year and then take the spot the following year.

I see this I 2022/-2023

JoMo Schmidt
Dillion Pionk
Stanley Heinola

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
upload_2021-8-4_12-39-37.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad