OT: Stanley Cup Winning Percentage - All Teams

Ron*

Was thinking last night that it would be interesting to chart this now, that the Kings are no longer bottom dwellers of such a statistic or worksheet (which is the format I chose to chart this).

Anyway, I was thinking, well, the Blackhawks and Bruins had long droughts recently snapped (along with the Kings), but the Rangers have had a long drought, and these teams are original six teams. So I thought it would be interesting what their ratio is in terms of success (Stanley Cups) as to how long they had been in the league.

It makes for some real interesting analysis. A couple of notes here: I did not include defunct teams, nor did I include the one championship Montreal had prior to the formation of the NHL (even though I went back to the founding year).

I included two Excel worksheets (as image files). The first one is winning the Cup percentage, and the second, just for interest, is sorted by how long the teams have been in existence.

Original six teams are in powder blue, original twelve (one is defunct) are in salmon.

ormat.jpg

League duration:
t56r.jpg

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
Ok but what about since the Kings entered the league.
How do the O6 teams do when there are a few more teams?

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Ok but what about since the Kings entered the league.
How do the O6 teams do when there are a few more teams?

Not near as well as they did when there were just 6. The best example that is used is the Habs. Since it went to 21 teams in 79-80 they have won the same amount as the Kings 2. As I have heard often joked about they were the best team in a 6 team league. Of course they do have wins when there were between 12-17 teams which was 67-79 they had 8 cups.

Ron*

I ranked the teams that were even in Cups by how long they have not won...hence, St. Louis and Toronto at the bottom.

That is why LAK is above PHI since their Cups are more recent, but an argument can also be made that the first teams in should be ranked ahead, but that is just picking **** with the chickens.

Ron*

Good stuff Ron. Thanks for doing this.

You are welcome.

Every once in a while I get the itch to do something with stats. The Kings' run the past three seasons inspired me to do this earlier today. It is so incredible where the Kings have been the last three seasons. It's actually unfathomable...only a few us experienced the dominance of the Montreal Canadiens in the 1970s...I would never have dreamed in those days the Kings even approaching that type of dominance, but we are real close to that now (sans the regular season, of course...).

Very damn close. It's like a dream come true, really.

Ron*

Oh, and one more thing...I didn't post these charts on the main boards because I can just see fans of certain teams trolling fans of other teams, especially that last chart.

I rather just keep it in house, so L.A. Kings fans can troll those other teams if they want. :P

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Oh, and one more thing...I didn't post these charts on the main boards because I can just see fans of certain teams trolling fans of other teams, especially that last chart.

I rather just keep it in house, so L.A. Kings fans can troll those other teams if they want. :P

We actually appreciate it.

Ron*

Poor Blues fan. I feel their pain.

If it's any consolation to you, they have won a couple of World Series lately that they had no business winning and they stole our football team and won a title with them as well.

Now, if you are talking about exclusivity in terms of hockey, then I agree with you. I will root for the Blues when our run is over and we are second division again. (Hopefully, this won't happen for a few years yet.)

Another Carter Snipe

Terminated User
Oct 20, 2011
San Diego, CA
Thanks for the hardwork, Ron.

Montreal pretty impressive even without the Original 6 era cups. They really beat the **** out of everyone in the late 70's.

Crazy to see where the Kings are since the expansion after these cups, especially considering the success came in the modern era with a very difficult hard cap to work with. Hope we can keep adding to that.

Ron*

Thanks for the hardwork, Ron.

Montreal pretty impressive even without the Original 6 era cups. They really beat the **** out of everyone in the late 70's.

Crazy to see where the Kings are since the expansion after these cups, especially considering the success came in the modern era with a very difficult hard cap to work with. Hope we can keep adding to that.

What's even more impressive is that Montreal did all that in 26 seasons. Think of it: 10 Cups in 26 seasons. That's just ****ing ill.

And I'm glad you picked up on the whole "Original Six" thing. Montreal is the only team you can point to and say they didn't just cherry pick when only six teams were in the league. I guess you can also make an argument for Detroit too...but as you can see, Toronto's titles mostly came with a six-league team. At least Montreal can lay claim they won consistently no matter how many teams were in the league.

w1ha.jpg

Talk about top heavy, too: In those 25 years the "original six" existed (1942-43 through 1966-67), three teams won 24 of those years, with only Chicago slipping in there for one Cup in 1961. Boston and New York? :laugh:

KingsFanInRI

Waiting 4 next year
Aug 27, 2005
Outside Providence
If it's any consolation to you, they have won a couple of World Series lately that they had no business winning and they stole our football team and won a title with them as well.

but weren't they stolen from Cleveland? :naughty:

Here's my list...
Cups won, by percentage, over the last 3 FULL seasons

Kings 67%
Bruins 33%
28 teams tied 0%

Ron*

but weren't they stolen from Cleveland? :naughty:

I know you are joking somewhat, but there are many who think since Los Angeles "took" the team from Cleveland, they have no business crying that ***** **** Georgia Frontiere moved the team on to St. Louis, but historically the Rams were foundering in Cleveland and in only 9 years they moved to Los Angeles, where they stayed and were successful for 49 years.

So there really is no comparison to the two moves.

Here's my list...
Cups won, by percentage, over the last 3 FULL seasons

Kings 67%
Bruins 33%
28 teams tied 0%

Yes, I know you are screwing around again, and it's true you can take any sample size you want to make a point. What I was trying to do above was show how any team can bolster their Stanley Cup pedigree in a very small league, and Toronto, the supposedly most important franchise in the league (ask that snake Leiweke), basically cherry-picked their way through a six-team league and for 25 seasons gathered up 9 Stanley Cups.

Toronto has a total of 13 Stanley Cups to their credit, none since the league expanded to 12 teams and beyond.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad