OT: Stanley Cup Playoffs

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I recognize that they have talent but for the most part their "strategy" seems to be "let's hope bob gets super-hot and steals us game after game".

They're similar to Nashville a few years back, though a little more balanced: good defence, good goaltending, meh forwards. Leads to a gameplay that is more or less trap + forecheck, minimize passing because most of their forwards can't do it. At least their d is pretty active and pinches (Jones has been great this year...I will forever mourn that we didn't somehow swing RNH+ for him instead of Nashville), and they have Panarin. But there's not much exciting happening when they play.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I recognize that they have talent but for the most part their "strategy" seems to be "let's hope bob gets super-hot and steals us game after game".
Ah the old Score and Pray, what the Nucks used to use when they had Luongo playing out of his mind.

Edit: I'll say this for Columbus, they do seem to try to make the most of the opportunity afforded to them by Bobrovsky being amazing.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
They're similar to Nashville a few years back, though a little more balanced: good defence, good goaltending, meh forwards. Leads to a gameplay that is more or less trap + forecheck, minimize passing because most of their forwards can't do it. At least their d is pretty active and pinches (Jones has been great this year...I will forever mourn that we didn't somehow swing RNH+ for him instead of Nashville), and they have Panarin. But there's not exciting happening when they play.
Must be nice to have a coach that can game plan for the players he has on his roster. Seeing other teams find ways to make the most out of their roster, even when they have deficiencies in it, is what frustrates me the most about Mclellan. It’s the biggest reason why I think he needs to go.

Reactions: Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Went back and googled a bit about Fleury's work to improve since I'm feeling a little nostalgic, and this is a great article. Addresses some of the huge amount of work Fleury has put in to improve his game mentally and positionally:

Unmasked: Fleury has improved tactically, mentally

'With more conservative positioning has come more consistency for Fleury, who has learned to better manage his passion to win through work with a sports psychologist.

Just as the Reverse helped Fleury get comfortable with his posts, working with a sports psychologist helped him find ways to manage the highs and lows of the position.

"Like at first I was a little uneasy about it, it feels like you are crazy or something, but once you go and talk, it's just more tools to help you out," Fleury said, adding Bales works with them. "I used to slam my sticks and get really mad after goals and stuff, so I think I have learned even though to me it wasn't a big deal maybe to teammates and people watching, they might not take it the right way. It's something I try to be better at; be calm, breathe, and don't break the stick." '

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Beyond how frustrating it is to see Hall carry a team in the playoffs, it's also frustrating to see how New Jersey's coach utilizes him. He's playing two minutes on the power play, he's double shifting on multiple lines. The first time we saw McLellan do that for any significant amount of time was against the Islanders this year in what, March? You have the best player in the game, find a way to use him more effectively.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
A Devils fan in peace, what a grab Maroon is. The guy is slower than a tank but is an absolute puck possession beast and impossible to move in front of the net. You guys may get him back next year in free agency but he is such an effective player.

Reactions: Mez and Aerrol

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Nothing overly special about the Sharks, but all four lines create offense very effectively the same way.
Well coached team.

I hope they finish off the Quackheads in 4

hoove17

Oct 29, 2015
Just curious, was Steve Barton the guy that screwed us last year against Anaheim with the bad calls?
I don't think the linesmen were an issue in that series. He is, however, the linesman who McDavid took out at the end of the season who hit his head and had to be stretchered off. Now he dislocates his knee and tears his quad needing surgery. Tough go for the guy.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I don't think the linesmen were an issue in that series. He is, however, the linesman who McDavid took out at the end of the season who hit his head and had to be stretchered off. Now he dislocates his knee and tears his quad needing surgery. Tough go for the guy.

They were an issue. Remember the icing they waved off and Ducks scored

hoove17

Oct 29, 2015

I don't know the linesman makes the decision to waive off the icing nice and early on a close one, that's all you can ask, Larsson had plenty of time to retrieve the puck and clear the zone, he just blew it. The offside is about as close as it gets, tough to fault a human being on missing that one. But in any case, no, Steve Barton was not a linesman for that game.
Game Summary

Last edited:

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Not making the playoffs sucks, getting shut out and swept by an expansion club sucks more... Haha La queens are now vegas's bitch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad