NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Why was he bleeding from the face?
Unfortunately he was bleeding from side of head under helmet. His head bounced off the ice hard.

I thought it was super dirty as I was watching last night. After looking again closely today it was not as bad as I thought. I thought Stastny had corkscrewed him down on purpose. Either way, I hope he’s ok — he hit his head hard and was out cold.

After that Vegas choked and Fleury needed to make a save or two on the PP.

Was an extraordinary game to watch.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
A crosscheck like that off the draw happens 50 times on any given night during the NHL season.

VGK should be rightfully enraged.

And people who say "Just kill the penalty" Lmaoooo.

It's a 5 minute major, in a game 7, in the 3rd, after your team already busted it's ass to get a 3-0 lead. A couple of spread out 2 minute penalties? Yea, should probably kill those off in the third.

An unnecessary 5 min major? Hard to fault the team for that.

its not even "just kill the penalty", they literally just had to not have the worst PK in the history of the game...and failed

brutal call? obviously. but suck it up and play through the adversity. they had the cushion to where if they were simply bad on that PK, they come out of it ahead 3-2. They instead went for all time bad.

so yeah, it is as simple as "just kill the penalty". Like you said, it was 3-0. not 3-2 or 3-3 when the call was made.

and dont let the 1 call cover up the fact that Vegas had 3 chances to close the series out and lost all 3

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
i'd be 97% disgusted at their ineptitude and 3% pissed at the call.

trust me, all i heard for years from people from the New England area was that all the Raiders had to do was stop the Pats.

Good call or bad....right or wrong....I think a lot of people are missing the most important aspect of the call.

Max Pacioretty is no longer playing in the playoffs!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
brutal call? obviously. but suck it up and play through the adversity.

This always makes me laugh.

There's a limit to what's reasonable. This reminds me of the ol' "Just pull yourselves up by your bootstraps".

It wasn't just a couple of 2 minutes minors spread out throughout the game, or even the 3rd period. The refs put in an unnecessary large hurdle in front of the Knights. In a game 7, between 2 even teams, that was the difference. Only goal I didn't really like that Fleury gave up during that kill was the Lebanc goal, he looked off his angle.

This wasn't game 4 of a 4 game sweep, wasn't a game 5 while they were down 3-1. It was game 7, both teams deserved to be there.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
And any Golden Knight fans, who had never watched a lot of hockey before last year, have probably experienced the greatest highs (except for the Cup) and greatest lows that you can experience in hockey already.

Reactions: BMC and sarge88

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
This always makes me laugh.

There's a limit to what's reasonable. This reminds me of the ol' "Just pull yourselves up by your bootstraps".

It wasn't just a couple of 2 minutes minors spread out throughout the game, or even the 3rd period. The refs put in an unnecessary large hurdle in front of the Knights. In a game 7, between 2 even teams, that was the difference. Only goal I didn't really like that Fleury gave up during that kill was the Lebanc goal, he looked off his angle.

This wasn't game 4 of a 4 game sweep, wasn't a game 5 while they were down 3-1. It was game 7, both teams deserved to be there.

Vegas lost 3 straight series winning games. Blaming the series loss on the 1 call is like Yankee fans blaming the 2004 collapse on the A-Rod glove slap call

They didnt even have to fully "pull themselves up", they just had to not puke on themselves.

it was a 3-0 game. Hell, a bad PK there and they still come out leading. They had the worst penalty kill in the history of the game. That's on them, not the refs.

And yes, the playoffs are about adversity. Things are going to unfairly go against you, its up to you to roll with the punches

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
That cross check may be the worst call in the history of the NHL considering it was the playoffs and how drastically it changed the game and cost Vegas the game. They should be foaming at the f***ing mouth angry. He shoved him, and then Stastny shoved him again while he awkwardly lost his balance. TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE CALL.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Not sure if you listen to Spittin’ Chiclets or not, but they had a great interview with Fraser a couple of weeks ago.

I don't.

I think Fraser is a tool, and has said some really stupid things the last few years to confirm that, but I've heard him talk about that non-call many times, including how he asked both linesmen who each said they didn't see it, and I'm not sure what he was supposed to do differently.

I'm also real glad any Leafs fans reading this board today have to see us discussing it.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I don't like the narrative of "hey just kill the penalty". If this was just a run of the mill regular season game where a ref got a 5 min major call wrong and my team gave up four PP goals...I would rip into the team. This is a little different to me. You play 82 games and then put yourself in position to win a grueling 7 game series. That game was OVER. With Couture scoring just 6 seconds into the PP you could feel the energy in the building and it took off from there. Yes, Vegas should have had a better PK but the overall point is you can't put them in that position just because you saw blood on the ice. The only way to rectify that going forward is allowing refs to review major penalty calls to see if they are in fact worthy of a major.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
By the way, how about if Eakin just decided not to cross check Pavelski at all in a 3-0 game?

I mean if we're being honest it really wasn't much of a cross check either. Usually you see penalties called on cross checks to the back. I would imagine the type of cross check Eakin delivered to Pavelski's chest goes uncalled a lot during the season.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I mean if we're being honest it really wasn't much of a cross check either. Usually you see penalties called on cross checks to the back. I would imagine the type of cross check Eakin delivered to Pavelski's chest goes uncalled a lot during the season.

Doesn't even get a whistle without the blood. Maybe the call interference on Statsny, but even that would have been a bad call. Linesman said he thought Eakin got him in the face. That's why the back of his head was gushing.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I don't.

I think Fraser is a tool, and has said some really stupid things the last few years to confirm that, but I've heard him talk about that non-call many times, including how he asked both linesmen who each said they didn't see it, and I'm not sure what he was supposed to do differently.

I'm also real glad any Leafs fans reading this board today have to see us discussing it.

Fraser came across as very confident (some might say arrogant) in the interview. It was nice to hear some of the stories. I wasn’t the biggest Fraser fan because I felt he thought the game was about him sometimes, but the interview did “humanize” him a bit for me.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Vegas lost 3 straight series winning games. Blaming the series loss on the 1 call is like Yankee fans blaming the 2004 collapse on the A-Rod glove slap call

They didnt even have to fully "pull themselves up", they just had to not puke on themselves.

it was a 3-0 game. Hell, a bad PK there and they still come out leading. They had the worst penalty kill in the history of the game. That's on them, not the refs.

And yes, the playoffs are about adversity. Things are going to unfairly go against you, its up to you to roll with the punches

Again, they were two even teams. Two even teams often go to game 7. They didn't blow a 3-0 series lead. It was a close back and forth type matchup. Two of which went to OT. They worked their way to a 3-0 lead in game 7. And the refs then incorrectly gave a lengthy man advantage to their opponent. Could they have killed the penalty without giving up a goal?

Yea ideally. But they shouldn't have had to in the first place. There's a bad call like Reich "tripping" Andrei Markov in OT in the playoffs, and then there's this abortion of a call.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
So what’s your West

Colorado vs Sharks
Dallas vs Blues

Colorado vs Blues

Blues

Reactions: Estlin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad