Stanley Cup integrity

Status
Not open for further replies.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
The Messenger said:
For the guy to run 13 miles and say he is as good or deserves as much respect for his accomplishment IS WRONG TO ME .. To me that means by regular standards that he was nothing more then leader of the race 1/2 way through the event .. BIG DEAL I would say .. the lead changes many times in the second half and the first half is the easiest .. in the second half is where the race is won and lost as the hills and weather and course take it pounding on the body and endurance and stamina and pacing yourself and your body holding up are all key parts of the event as the champion is crowned .. The shorter the event the less these become factors ...
I'm not sure how much I agree. It's not wrong to give the winner credit because if they win it, they deserve it.

In team sports, the shorter the event the harder it is to win. You have to be on your game every night because the stakes are so much higher, and everyone knows this going in. There's no time to coast, there aren't any "dog days of the season", and teams should be healthier. Perhaps we'll see a winner based on which players actually play rather than the players who don't play.

I agree the conditions are unique with a shortened season, but I don't think it takes away from previous winners or diminishes the winner's accomplishment. It's just different.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
If they don't want to play for the cup, or won't play for the cup because of a lockout, strike or a bad case of hemroids:

THEN LET THE BEST TEAMS AVAILABLE, THAT ARE WILLING AND READY PLAY,PLAY FOR THE CUP.

If that means a beer league team from Saskatoon wins the cup, so be it.

NOONE PLAYING FOR THE CUP WOULD BE A DISGRACE.

It's not like they have a major health epidemic/emergency. :teach:

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
If they don't want to play for the cup, or won't play for the cup because of a lockout, strike or a bad case of hemroids:

THEN LET THE BEST TEAMS AVAILABLE, THAT ARE WILLING AND READY PLAY,PLAY FOR THE CUP.

If that means a beer league team from Saskatoon wins the cup, so be it.

NOONE PLAYING FOR THE CUP WOULD BE A DISGRACE.

It's not like they have a major health epidemic/emergency. :teach:
Mental health is the epidemic here.

Anything less than an NHL team winning the Cup would be the disgrace. The Cup is property of the NHL.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
HF2002 said:
Mental health is the epidemic here.

Anything less than an NHL team winning the Cup would be the disgrace. The Cup is property of the NHL.

Then why do they have trustees?

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
The Maltais Falcon said:
For all you 82-games-plus-16-wins purists out there, how do you feel about teams that won the Cup in the 80 game season era? What about the 70 game season era? Or even the 48 games-or-less era that lasted up until 1942? Are those Cup winners less legitimate?

This has been dealt with before. For *thirty* years, we've played 80 games or more. You have to go back to 1925, eighty years before you find a season where they played less games than what's being talked about now. That's a league in it's first few formative years, with an uncertain future, no financial stability, where teams had to travel by train for a couple of days to play a road game, and rinks were puddles of slush.

In most of those days, there were *six* teams, and even in a short season, you still played each other four times or so. And even they recognised that 20 something games was a joke, and quickly extended the season as much as possible to make it legitimate. As more teams were added, more games were added to make sure the season stayed legitimate.

Playing only one half the league, twice at most is simply not a legitimate test to determine who should make the playoffs, and who shouldn't. They may as well just toss a coin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->