GDT: Stanley Cup Finals | Game #6 | Boston Bruins @ St. Louis Blues | Lets Finish This

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
If we lose Wednesday I’m done with both this team and hockey

The sport is soccer on ice at this point anyway so might as well get out ahead while it still has some semblance of hockey

I am a broken man

Thanks blues!
if they lose with another effort like that 3rd period, gonna be hard to continue being a fan of em.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Last time I suffered through loss like this was when Pujols broke Lidge and beat my Astros. Houston rebounded next game to win series behind strong performance from Oswalt. Binnington is our Oswalt.

Reactions: Bendak

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Last time I suffered through loss like this was when Pujols broke Lidge and beat my Astros. Houston rebounded next game to win series behind strong performance from Oswalt. Binnington is our Oswalt.
he has a very good record after a loss.

but cant have so many passengers as we did tonight.

Tiribulus

May 24, 2008
Detroit
If we lose Wednesday I’m done with both this team and hockey

The sport is soccer on ice at this point anyway so might as well get out ahead while it still has some semblance of hockey

I am a broken man

Thanks blues!
I know as a Detroiter it's easy for me to say, but don't you think they deserve some credit for getting this far against ALL the odds? They didn't even have a secure playoff spot not that long ago man.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Just finished reading through the thread, couple of thoughts....

- We are still very much in this. We are better on the road than at home and we are really good coming off of a loss.

- Binnington has to be better Wednesday. He has not been near Conn Smythe level like people are talking. Hard to win a SCF with a .911 goalie against a .937 goalie. The 2nd goal had to be stopped.

- Its borderline criminal that Armstrong never brought someone in to fix our powerplay. We bring in people all the time to help out before. I want a PP coach to be hired full time, but even if it is a consultant to come in for a few practices, something has to be done. Out PP has been horrendous all year. We've scored at times but its always like a blind squirrel finding a nut after running around (mixing metaphors time) like a chicken with its head cut off. Too late now, but the design of our PP will be the reason if we lose this series. A PP goal to tie it before it got out of hand would have changed the game

-As much as people have complained about the Bruins fans, I'd trade at the least a dozen of our "fans" and "bandwagon" posters for the worst Bruins posters. They may be ridiculous but they support their team. Some of our posters are so god damn entitled. You are not guaranteed a win or even a close game because you chose to watch or buy a ticket. If your team doesn't have their way, its not because they are lazy or don't care or whatever BS complaint you want to make. Their opponent is a damn good team too.

- Bottom line is the Blues have a real chance to win Game 7. Binnington has bounced back all year. This team has bounced back all year. We are on the road, away from our distractions, where we are solid. We are getting Barbashev back, so our 4th line can be back to form. Thomas will have the rust knocked off, and the third line can be better. We just have to stay out of the box, don't make too many bad plays and figure out Rask. Tough, but doable. We've done it before. Let's go Blues.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
All of this is also exactly correct.

I guess when I think of a "weak" powerplay, I think of a squad that just doesn't have the ability to put the puck in the net often in that situation. They DO have the ability, but it isn't being utilized effectively.

What you and a couple other guys have said about the powerplay coaching explains a lot. This is not the way these players are going to produce on the powerplay. Especially against a goalie like Rask. The Blues are playing to his strengths with the man (and 2 man) advantage, which is foolish in my opinion.

We've been saying this ever since Mike Yeo took over. What's the deal here? NONE of my coaches at ANY level would have stood for such poor execution and bad decisions by our 2 PP units. Players would have been "benched" (at least taken off the power play) if they couldn't do what we were instructed to do. The Blues 2 PP shifts are LOADED with scoring talent. They just seem to be "lazy" in their execution, and hesitating in making decisions. It just looks like the PP coach is telling them to keep passing it around quickly, till someone has an open shot. But, these 2 units don't have enough "perfect passers" to score that way against the better goaltenders and PK teams. One, or preferably two of The Blues, who don't have the puck, need to skate towards the net as the pass is being made, THEN, the player receiving the pass can have the option of passing to the driver, OR using the player as a screen at the perfect time to block the goalie's view, AND. preferably, the other driver, or one of the 3 other skaters, following the shot, can jump on the rebound, and knock it in.

hullderko

Apr 21, 2015
Boston did a great job of clogging shooting lanes from the point, however we made it easy for them by not moving the puck faster and letting the shot go quickly. Too much hesitation tonight.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
A colleague at work says "how different does the game go if ROR scores on the first period breakaway?"

The 5-on-3 followed mere minutes later.

Dam*.

I'm not sure the Blues have to score first, but that sequence/turn of events was not welcome.

JMO, but whoever is in charge of the PP isn't getting the job done.

It's not just the peripheral time-wasting, which mitigates so annoyingly.

Vlad should be a terror, the system should be geared to make him a deadly threat or excellent
decoy.

And with the extra man, the Blues physicality should be omnipresent and driving Boston nuts in front of Rask. There's a lack of a clear go-to directive for that PP; team strengths and assets are not in clear use.

You folks see these things, know them better than I do. Just venting a bit.

Go Blues. Get the 4th W, and the Cup.

Reactions: BergMan and Bendak

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
A colleague at work says "how different does the game go if ROR scores on the first period breakaway?"

The 5-on-3 followed mere minutes later.

Dam*.

I'm not sure the Blues have to score first, but that sequence/turn of events was not welcome.

JMO, but whoever is in charge of the PP isn't getting the job done.

It's not just the peripheral time-wasting, which mitigates so annoyingly.

Vlad should be a terror, the system should be geared to make him a deadly threat or excellent
decoy.

And with the extra man, the Blues physicality should be omnipresent and driving Boston nuts in front of Rask. There's a lack of a clear go-to directive for that PP; team strengths and assets are not in clear use.

You folks see these things, know them better than I do. Just venting a bit.

Go Blues. Get the 4th W, and the Cup.
Yes, after 51 years many of us Blues' Fans might well think "The Curse of Scotty Bowman" is real! If the puck doesn't roll on O'Reilly, and he scores, The Blues gain momentum, and skate harder over the next few minutes. Schenn might not have felt compelled to take his silly cross-checking penalty, and there is no 5 on 3, and no Bruins' goal. Even if the bouncing puck goal is scored, The Blues are still even, not behind by 2, and the DON'T PANIC, and don't stop playing their "A" game.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Boston did a great job of clogging shooting lanes from the point, however we made it easy for them by not moving the puck faster and letting the shot go quickly. Too much hesitation tonight.

Yeah, we weren't getting much on net, and when we were, we weren't crashing the net much. There were some decent rebounds to be had in the first 2 periods, but we weren't in close. Schenn had a good one, and Rask came up huge. He immediately got tripped by Arrciari, but of course NBC didn't mention it. But they mentioned everything we did that wasn't called. Fun coverage.

Boston flat out outplayed us be a large margin. Tank and Thomas didn't do much, and Schwartz ESPECIALLY was horrid. We have to tighten up if we're gonna have any chance Wednesday. Defensively, offensively, PP, PK, and goaltending. The whole shebang.

Tonight felt like coronation. Like the culmination of decades of fandom for all of us. I was very unhappy that ticket prices exceeded the $1800 limit I put on myself. But the saving grace tonight is that I didn't spend almost 2k on a below-average seat of us getting our asses kicked.

Last edited:

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Yeah, we weren't getting much on net, and when we were, we weren't crashing the net much. There were some decent rebounds to be had in the first 2 periods, but we weren't in close. Schenn had a good one, and Rask came up huge. He immediately got tripped by Arrciari, but of course NBC didn't mention it. But they mentioned everything we did that wasn't called. Fun coverage.

Boston flat out outplayed us be a large margin. Tank and Thomas didn't do much, and Schwartz ESPECIALLY was horrid. We have to tighten up if we're gonna have any chance Wednesday. Defensively, offensively, PP, PK, and goaltending. The whole shebang.

Tonight felt like coronation. Like the culmination of decades of fandom for all of us. I was very unhappy that ticket prices exceeded the $1800 limit I put on myself. But the saving grace tonight is that I didn't spend almost 2k on a below-average seat of us getting our asses kicked.
schwartz should be under consideration for being a scratch for barbashev. blais or sanford will clearly be the odd man out, but schwartz has been a total piece of shit once again in this series. what does he have, like 1 point in 6 games? everyones going crazy about how hes gonna break hulls single season goal record for the playoffs and the guy literally goes invisible since then.

you cannot win a series if your best players are not your best players and once again we have to have this stupid talk about schwartz going MIA again. 91 has not shown up in the past 2 games and tonight he was a colossal failure. 27 had a horrid game going a -3 and he played a large part in the first 3 goals against. outside of 90 and 57 and some spurts from 7, i saw literally nothing from the team tonight. that was a shitty, unacceptable performance and a putrid 3rd period push. rask was good but as usual the blues made it easy by passing almost every chance away.

they have 1 game to win it or just be another team that choked and faded away just like the rest of em. i didnt expect them to win 3 in a row vs boston but that f***ing effort in the 3rd period was absolutely unacceptable. people literally paid $2k+ to watch a effort that is easily surpassed by a team playing a game in November than the effort we saw for a chance to WIN A CUP ON HOME f***ING ICE.

Reactions: sfvega and Bendak

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
A gobsmack of analysis. So much accurate. From afar... gotta say... the Blues lack of discipline throughout... ugh. I sooooo badly want the Blues to win. But if they couple hesitation (like inability to get the puck outta the d-zone over and over) with questionable discipline, I cringe at the Bs taking it but, they will if...

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Alright, so after some time do some reflection and returning from downtown, these are my thoughts:

-The Blues are better ES than the the Bruins are.
-Blues cannot let Bruins get anything on special teams. The Bruins are a better team in that regard and the Blues carelessness that led to the 5 on 3(specifically Schenn's boarding penalty, I don't have much of an issue with ROR's penalty. Shit happens when you try to clear the puck and it was fluke) was not good.
-Schwartz and Tarasenko were ghosts tonight offensively. Tarasenko I thought showed up sometimes defensively but Schwartz did nothing. He's been in MIA this series.
-3rd line was the Blues best line tonight. Bozak/Maroon I thought played fine. Didn't notice much from Thomas one way or another.
-I didn't think any of the D played poorly, though I'd rather not see JBo shoot the puck.
-I thought Binnington was OK. Rask was better tonight, but Binnington was good in the beginning of the game and the 3rd I thought he was just OK. The first goal he was left out to dry on the 5 on 3. The one that's going to leave me pissed off is the flukey one that bounced in from near the blue line. His play didn't concern me tonight like Game 3.
-Rask was good tonight. With that being said, I do think the Blues were a little snake bit with regards to scoring tonight. The break away before the 5 on 3, the shot that went off Rask's back and somehow did not end up in the goal, Maroon and Parayko being unable to finish 2 shots are plays that all come to mind.

While I am discouraged that they lost tonight, I don't think it's as bad as the score shows and it's not the worst I felt in this series. Game 3 was much, much, much worse. I think the Blues have a chance in Game 7, but Schwartz and Tarasenko HAVE to show up.

Edited to add: I don't know who I'd scratch for Barbashev. I think Thomas should be playing, as should Blais. Sanford's play has earned him the opportunity to stay in the lineup, IMO. If it was based off performance, I'd say Schwartz, but that won't happen. Nor will Perron be scratched. So the likely suspects are Thomas or Sanford.

Edited a second time: ROR is playing out of his mind currently. If they win Wednesday, he should win Conn Smythe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bendak and Chippewa

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
Well stated sir. If I may add... what will do the Blues in is their shoddy discipline. That will be the diff maker. Am not sure they will exorcise that demon in gm 7. Has been a problem for them all along.

Alright, so after some time do some reflection and returning from downtown, these are my thoughts:

-The Blues are better ES than the the Bruins are.
-Blues cannot let Bruins get anything on special teams. The Bruins are a better team in that regard and the Blues carelessness that led to the 5 on 3(specifically Schenn's boarding penalty, I don't have much of an issue with ROR's penalty. **** happens when you try to clear the puck and it was fluke) was not good.
-Schwartz and Tarasenko were ghosts tonight offensively. Tarasenko I thought showed up sometimes defensively but Schwartz did nothing. He's been in MIA this series.
-3rd line was the Blues best line tonight. Bozak/Maroon I thought played fine. Didn't notice much from Thomas one way or another.
-I didn't think any of the D played poorly, though I'd rather not see JBo shoot the puck.
-I thought Binnington was OK. Rask was better tonight, but Binnington was good in the beginning of the game and the 3rd I thought he was just OK. The first goal he was left out to dry on the 5 on 3. The one that's going to leave me pissed off is the flukey one that bounced in from near the blue line. His play didn't concern me tonight like Game 3.
-Rask was good tonight. With that being said, I do think the Blues were a little snake bit with regards to scoring tonight. The break away before the 5 on 3, the shot that went off Rask's back and somehow did not end up in the goal, Maroon and Parayko being unable to finish 2 shots are plays that all come to mind.

While I am discouraged that they lost tonight, I don't think it's as bad as the score shows and it's not the worst I felt in this series. Game 3 was much, much, much worse. I think the Blues have a chance in Game 7, but Schwartz and Tarasenko HAVE to show up.

Edited to add: I don't know who I'd scratch for Barbashev. I think Thomas should be playing, as should Blais. Sanford's play has earned him the opportunity to stay in the lineup, IMO. If it was based off performance, I'd say Schwartz, but that won't happen. Nor will Perron be scratched. So the likely suspects are Thomas or Sanford.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Well stated sir. If I may add... what will do the Blues in is their shoddy discipline. That will be the diff maker. Am not sure they will exorcise that demon in gm 7. Has been a problem for them all along.

Like I don't even understand what was going in Schenn's mind at the time. It's not like Sundqvist's boarding which was exacerbated by a player's change of movement. He saw nothing but numbers and continued his check along the boards. Dumb, dumb, dumb play.

Mafisen

Oct 14, 2018
I gave up on the game soon after 2-0 and got some shuteye to not be completely screwed taking care of the kids today. I checked the score when I woke up at 7am and I was very surprised to see the scoreline. The game I watched the first 2 periods and a bit of the 3rd was never a 5-1 game. It probably was 1-0 either way or tie. The second goal was the killer. Dunno what went wrong after that. Anyone?

I do think the Blues played fine through 2, but as others have said, we lacked the physicality in that we didn't get in front of the net for rebounds and the forecheck that made us successful in game 4 (especially) and 5 wasn't quite there. For stretches it was, but nowhere near often enough.
Shooting opportunities were also passed up on too much, maybe because of the lack of traffic, there was some kind of hesitancy there. Parayko I was pretty disappointed with throughout.

Get back to the strong forecheck, physical play, getting on the inside and crash the net and stay disciplined and the boys can do it.

Oh, and our other stars besides O'Reilly need to step up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chippewa and Bendak

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
I gave up on the game soon after 2-0 and got some shuteye to not be completely screwed taking care of the kids today. I checked the score when I woke up at 7am and I was very surprised to see the scoreline. The game I watched the first 2 periods and a bit of the 3rd was never a 5-1 game. It probably was 1-0 either way or tie. The second goal was the killer. Dunno what went wrong after that. Anyone?

I do think the Blues played fine through 2, but as others have said, we lacked the physicality in that we didn't get in front of the net for rebounds and the forecheck that made us successful in game 4 (especially) and 5 wasn't quite there. For stretches it was, but nowhere near often enough.
Shooting opportunities were also passed up on too much, maybe because of the lack of traffic, there was some kind of hesitancy there. Parayko I was pretty disappointed with throughout.

Get back to the strong forecheck, physical play, getting on the inside and crash the net and stay disciplined and the boys can do it.

Oh, and our other stars besides O'Reilly need to step up.
3rd goal was a good shot but i believe 27 f***ed up on it. dont really remember 100% as i tuned out the game at that point. but like i said it was just a really clutch shot, tip your hat to bruins player.
blais made a idiotic play on the bruins 4th goal, first 5on5 points for their top line this series because of it so look out.

blues only goal rask actually saved but it was like 1cm over the line so the horn went off and we got a welfare goal from it.

the actual push in the 3rd was abysmal for a team trying to win a cup. only push I saw was from boston as they pushed their foot right up our asses.

typical blues home effort, shit on the fans as usual.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad