Stanley Cup dream dilemma

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'm actually bewildered why Matthews hasn't been given the "C" already actually.

If someone can explain how he is not the face of the team presently i would really like to hear that one.

Matthews "C"
Tavares "A"
Rielly "A"

No problem with that at all.

Marner won't mind one bit when he is winning scoring titles and cups ;))

I’m guessing he hasn’t been given the “C” because he won’t sign long term

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I woke up with a big smile on my face. The leafs won the Stanley Cup this season! The problem was Bettman didn’t know we to give the cup to as we don’t have a captain. Who should it be? Matthews, Rielly, Tavares? Or and why? Btw Matthews was just named One of the captains for the all star game. Guess he made the team.

Wow, what a nice problem to have. Thank God you did not have a nightmare about another game 7 loss to the Bruins :)

Reactions: Bronxxx

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
5 years? Depends where he signs, I suppose.

It’s not all that uncommon for superstars to sign their next contract at ~5 and have captaincy. I since edited my post though as I only just realised all those examples I had in mind actually bought 1yr UFA. Matty would need to sign 6 to buy a UFA year IIUC

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It’s not all that uncommon for superstars to sign their next contract at ~5 and have captaincy. I since edited my post though as I only just realised all those examples I had in mind actually bought 1yr UFA. Matty would need to sign 6 to buy a UFA year IIUC

I doubt he sells any FA years . IF he stays in Toronto he should sign for 2 or 3 years.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I doubt he sells any FA years . IF he stays in Toronto he should sign for 2 or 3 years.

This has very little precedence. If he sells for 2-3yrs then he gets none of his UFA dollars today. If he sells UFA years he gets the majority of those dollars over the next couple years.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This has very little precedence. If he sells for 2-3yrs then he gets none of his UFA dollars today. If he sells UFA years he gets the majority of those dollars over the next couple years.

But you don’t want to playing on a below value contract like Rielly, especially in Toronto.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
But you don’t want to playing on a below value contract like Rielly, especially in Toronto.

I’m not going to sit here and argue while you beat around the bush about Matthews not being a Leaf for the better part of his career, it would be a waste of everyone’s time. I’ll just shake my head and move on.

Reactions: colchar

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Another captaincy thread - wow

My fear is Bettman would refuse to hand over the cup as we do not have a captain :laugh:

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I'm actually bewildered why Matthews hasn't been given the "C" already actually.

If someone can explain how he is not the face of the team presently i would really like to hear that one.

Matthews "C"
Tavares "A"
Rielly "A"

Since when does "face of the team" mean someone is the best leader in the room?

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB

Matthews "C"
Tavares "A"
Rielly "A"

Probably waiting until they re-sign him in case there’s an offer sheet.

Also it made sense to see how Tavares and Matthews settled in their first season together. You can also make a solid argument for Rielly.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Since when does "face of the team" mean someone is the best leader in the room?
Because he is a leader. Since i say face of the team means that for me......

You can have it mean something else. My context meant leader and Captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->