Stanley Cup dream dilemma

Bronxxx

Dec 2, 2018
I woke up with a big smile on my face. The leafs won the Stanley Cup this season! The problem was Bettman didn’t know we to give the cup to as we don’t have a captain. Who should it be? Matthews, Rielly, Tavares? Or and why? Btw Matthews was just named One of the captains for the all star game. Guess he made the team.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I would make Tavares the captain, but I would make Matthews the #1 center and let him choose his two wingers to have a stacked first line (probably Marner & Nylander/Kapanen/Johnsson/Marleau).

Essentially, make it very clear that Matthews is the #1 center on this team... but Tavares is the #2 center and the captain.

Either that or just make Rielly the captain and Matthews and Tavares get A's.

Ultimately though, we need to keep Matthews happy. He's the man. So if he really wants to be captain, I would make him captain. But I'm not even sure if he wants to be captain. I think he wants to be the #1 center and play the big minutes more than he wants to be the captain. That's just a guess. I think he wants to play with Marner and play 22+ minutes per night and the be on the ice a lot when we need those big goals. So give Matthews the most minutes... give him the best wingers... make sure that stacked top line gets quite a bit more ice time than any of the other 3 lines... and I think he'll be happy with that.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I'm actually bewildered why Matthews hasn't been given the "C" already actually.

If someone can explain how he is not the face of the team presently i would really like to hear that one.

Matthews "C"
Tavares "A"
Rielly "A"

No problem with that at all.

Marner won't mind one bit when he is winning scoring titles and cups ;))

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Rielly (as the team's longest serving 'A') to Marleau (NHLer with most tenure) and onwards. Looking forward to it!

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
If leafs win cup first person who gets cup is marleau followed by hainsey. We may not have a formal captain but there is a lot of respect imo in the room.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Probably Tavares but I hope he gives it to Marleau... Leaf version of a Ray Bourque/Joe Sakic moment

Reactions: colchar

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Tavares has been taking all the ceremonial faceoffs. I assume he would be it.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter at all and no one really cares.

I saw Reilly take at least one of those ceremonial face offs. I remember because he forgot to give the puck back. Everyone was laughing.

Anyway I think they should just go ahead and give the C to JT now.

Maybe the plan is to let Babcock go get the cup from Bettman? :D

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Seriously?

Its obviously Patrick Marleau.
Morgan and JT are the other two 'A's, and they would definitely defer to Marleau.
Babcock isnt making the choice. The leadership team would decide and the pick would be Marleau

CarterD

Dec 20, 2018
Seeing as this may actually turn into a thought experiment for the Maple Leafs brass this year, I'm just going yo say I don't care as long as it happens

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
I'm actually bewildered why Matthews hasn't been given the "C" already actually.

If someone can explain how he is not the face of the team presently i would really like to hear that one.

Matthews "C"
Tavares "A"
Rielly "A"

No problem with that at all.

Marner won't mind one bit when he is winning scoring titles and cups ;))

Why add more pressure/stress on his shoulders then need be?

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->