GDT: Stanley Cup Champs @ non Champs Calgary Flames

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Gotta feel good for Cops there, man was he pumped. Shouldn't have gone to OT but us not being able to win a draw for the rest of the game after they pulled Smith was a big factor. Those are the moments we miss Beags. Two points, next.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Team just continually comes up with new reasons for you to love them. The way they celebrated Copley's first NHL win was just beautiful. Nicky nails an absolute dart top shelf to win it, and no one comes to him cuz they're all so psyched for Copley. Congrats Pheonix

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Ovy is well under 30% in shootouts after starting like 6 for 6 I’m glad they sat him

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Jaskin looked slow and tentative when he first got here, but that's expected having no training camp. He's slowly finding his chemistry with his linemates and looks to be a solid pickup for the 4th line. Has some decent skating and puck control and solid hockey sense, plus he's not afraid to use his big body. Smokin Al talked about how GMBM has been successful with his recent reclamation projects: Connolly, DSP, definitely Kempny, maybe Jaskin. Good stuff.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think the Orlov-Niskanen pairing is most concerning right now. They get the tougher assignments but it doesn’t explain their poorer than expected possession numbers to date. They certainly haven’t had much puck luck either but their underlying play has been bad as well.

As I mentioned earlier I wouldn’t mind shaking up the defensive pairings for a bit. Orlov-Niskanen has been a constant for almost 2 seasons now and while in general they have been great, lately they seem to be off and maybe they could try something different.

9-74
6-2
44-29

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think the Orlov-Niskanen pairing is most concerning right now. They get the tougher assignments but it doesn’t explain their poorer than expected possession numbers to date. They certainly haven’t had much puck luck either but their underlying play has been bad as well.

As I mentioned earlier I wouldn’t mind shaking up the defensive pairings for a bit. Orlov-Niskanen has been a constant for almost 2 seasons now and while in general they have been great, lately they seem to be off and maybe they could try something different.

9-74
6-2
44-29

Ok, I'll bite. Which of those pairs do you assign the opposing 1st line? Do you really think Kempny is better at that than Orlov? Do you think Carlson having to support Orlov wont pull his offensive numbers back hard? I would suggest this is why they don't want to make those changes.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
9-74 seems prone to epic mental blunders.
6-2 seems completely underwhelming.

But....why not...long season.

The epic mental blunders are, IMO, a function of being a defenseman with offensive responsibilities. Your job is not the safe play and is not to sit back and eliminate risk of getting caught up ice. Almost all offense generating defensemen get dinged like that.

What I want to avoid is turning Carlson into Niskanen. Niskanen came to the Caps with a solid offensive resume. He has become a primary defensive player because of his assignments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad