Stanley Cup at the Hockey Hall of Fame

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I was just wondering if the Stanley Cup displayed in the Hockey Hall of Fame is ever the real Stanley Cup or is it always a replica?

I've been there a few times, and the person working there always says it real but I never believed him/her. When I was a kid, I went in the summer time and the guy working there said it was real, but I was pretty sure he was wrong or he was lying as I would think that the Cup would be with one of the winning players in the summer time.

But other times, I've been during the regular season or the beginning of the playoffs, so I'm wondering if it was the real cup then?

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
they have three cups; the original, the one that goes to games and a stand in.

I think its a bit of a game secret to know which one is at the HHOF at any given day.

I'm ok with that; it's like a three headed pagan god or something.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
When you say "the original"...do you mean original as in the older part(s) of the cup that have been removed from today's cup?

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
When you say "the original"...do you mean original as in the older part(s) of the cup that have been removed from today's cup?

''The original refers'' to the original bowl. I'll try to clarify that. There's 3 cups, 2 identicals :

1. The original bowl. The one purchased by Lord Stanley. This one has no bands and never moves from the HOF vault. http://mcgady.net/tor/Stanley-original3.jpg

2. The ''presentation'' or ''autenticated'' cup. The one that players lift over their heads. This one travels with the players and is the one you see whenever there's an official event with the cup.

3. The ''replica cup''. This one never leaves the Hall of fame. It is used as a stand in when the ''real'' cup is on tour. It is identical to the official cup but minus the engravements errors.

So if you went in the summer, chances are you seen the replica one. Better get to the HOF during the season to see the official cup.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
So you can tell if it's the real cup or not by looking for the engraving errors?

That's what I was thinking last time I went to the HHOF. But the only error I could think of was Adam Deadmarsh's name being spelt "Deadmarch". The cup I saw at the HHOF correctly spelt his name as "Deadmarsh" but I didn't know if it was corrected on the actual cup as well.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
So you can tell if it's the real cup or not by looking for the engraving errors?

Yes, the easiest way to tell is to look for Basil Pocklington's XXXX'ed out name on the Oilers 1984 Cup. If its there, its the real Cup. If not, its the replica. The last time I was at the HHOF, I thought the guy was going to throw me out for telling someone it wasn't the real Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad