Stanislav Chistov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks_è_Halos

Feb 8, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
profile.myspace.com
He's definitely a power forward.

Just kidding, just kidding! That's just what the Ducks really need.

Anyways, there has been a lot of talk about him being a bust but I will still hold out hope for next season. He went through a sophomore slump his second year in the NHL and got sent down to the AHL for a while but didn't improve much after being called back up. His seaon in the AHL this year, however, was also unimpressive(39pts. in 79 games for the reg. season. Also a -6). I don't think he lacks the talent but his determination and attitude are very questionable. If he ever does reach his originally expected potential, he'll be a major scoring threat and a great stick handler and playmaker that will play on the top line. That seems more and more unlikely as time goes on though.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I thought Chistov had the potential to be a Mark Recchi-type: a smallish but highly skilled offensive forward. (Some scouts had him ranked ahead of Kovalchuk). He was decent in his first year in Anaheim, but suffered the dreaded sophomore jinx. Problem is, his offensive game didn't return this year in Cincinnati. The only high numbers that he put up this year were in the PIM column.

Next year will be his make-or-break year. It'll decide whether he'll be the offensive dynamo we all thought he'd be, or if he'll be a plug or a bust.

With Burke as the GM and an offensive-minded coach on the way, he won't have "defensive system" as an excuse.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I remember the pre-draft hype on him, boy it was insane. Some citing him as the best russian prospect ever. then again I was one of the few who thought he should have gone before Kovalchuk. guess we all make mistakes.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Agreed with previous points. Less obstruction, more open ice and an offensive-minded coach will allow Chistov to excel. He looked awesome in the Ducks playoff run on a line With Steve Thomas.

The Ducks actually have some nice prospects up front with Lupul, Getzlaf, Perry and Chistov leading the way. Watch for them to make some noise in the West if not this year in the near future as Brian Burke always produces a winner.

CurtisJD13

Feb 9, 2005
IncognitoDuck said:
He's definitely a power forward.

Just kidding, just kidding! That's just what the Ducks really need.

Anyways, there has been a lot of talk about him being a bust but I will still hold out hope for next season. He went through a sophomore slump his second year in the NHL and got sent down to the AHL for a while but didn't improve much after being called back up. His seaon in the AHL this year, however, was also unimpressive(39pts. in 79 games for the reg. season. Also a -6). I don't think he lacks the talent but his determination and attitude are very questionable. If he ever does reach his originally expected potential, he'll be a major scoring threat and a great stick handler and playmaker that will play on the top line. That seems more and more unlikely as time goes on though.

Getzlaf, Perry...

Chistov reminds me alot of Teemu Selanne for some reason, though I don't think he'll be nearly as good. I think Stan will be a 30/30 guy at some point in his career, but no more than that.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Kaizer said:
Well, may be ... but he signed for 1 year with Metallurg Magnitogorsk.

It was probably a lockout protected contract.

but to answer the original question...there is no top 6 forward spot waiting for Chistov...he will have to show up at training camp and earn a spot.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Hercules Rockefeller said:
Getzlaf is most certainly a power forward.

Correction, he has the skills & size to be a powerforward but he also needs a mean streak too. So far there's little indication of that.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Pepper said:
Correction, he has the skills & size to be a powerforward but he also needs a mean streak too. So far there's little indication of that.

Didn't see much of the Hitmen the last year eh? He definitely gets mean, and sticks up for his teamates.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Legionnaire said:
Didn't see much of the Hitmen the last year eh? He definitely gets mean, and sticks up for his teamates.

Hot damn, a Kings fan giving Getzlaf some props. I might have to get a Dustin Brown avatar or something like that now.

Anyways, like he said, Getz definetely has the mean streak. Should be a very good PF IMO.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Hot damn, a Kings fan giving Getzlaf some props. I might have to get a Dustin Brown avatar or something like that now.

Anyways, like he said, Getz definetely has the mean streak. Should be a very good PF IMO.

Don't get carried away now. I still think Perry's going to be disappointing :snide:

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Fine then. Speaking of '03 prospects drafted by SoCal teams, I really see Brian Boyle being a not-bad forward........in the AHL. ;)

Yeah, I went there. Your move, Legionnaire. :)

I thought Perry was great a few years ago when he almost made the team. I don't konw though. I just get the gut feeling that his success in London might not carry over to the NHL.

Pfft. You went with our riskiest pick man. I'll even agree to that one. Though, he has progressed a great deal. :D

It's weird though. I really don't hate the Ducks prospects until they put on that sweater.

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
Legionnaire said:
It's weird though. I really don't hate the Ducks prospects until they put on that sweater.

I kind of know what you mean ... I never hate any team's prospects, even those of a rival. These are all just kids chasing a dream, and I hope that all of them get at least a taste of the NHL someday. How can anyone not pull for these guys?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Legionnaire said:

I feel the exact same way. Before the draft, Dustin Brown was one of my favorite guys(just behind Getzlaf and the top 5 or so), and Tambellini was also one too(At the time, I had wished we were gonna trade up to get him).

I never liked Brian Boyle, though. I just took a shot at him because I'm still a big Tambellini fan. That could change, though, when the Ducks and the Kings eventually play and Jeff's in the lineup.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Legionnaire said:

Yea I heard about that but it wasn't like he actively seeked to punish opponents like Phaneuf for example did.

He has all the tools to become a PF but there's absolutely no guarantee of that happening yet.

TeamPlayer

Jan 11, 2003
Pepper said:
Yea I heard about that but it wasn't like he actively seeked to punish opponents like Phaneuf for example did.

He has all the tools to become a PF but there's absolutely no guarantee of that happening yet.

Chistov, punishing???? Power Forward???? Oh I was reading the thread and then realized others were talking about someone else. Maybe we can stay on topic here.... So I guess the "Experts" that predicted Chistov has more potential then Kovalchuck and Spezza were off their Rockers again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->