Stand Up Comedians

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I like me some Doug Stanhope.

Rogan is an awful comedian but good Podcast host, IMO. He's a smart guy, but it's almost like his IQ plummets when he gets in front of a crowd (maybe to reach a wider audience? Dunno)

Stanhope is one of the most consistent comedians I've ever watched. Every single one of his specials is of high quality.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
I been lovin Madflavor since the Rogan podcast on the couch. I think the prison story he told Eddie Bravo is one of the funniest things.

His whole deal about blue cheese had me ****ing rolling and his bit about "Lucy Snorebush" good god :laugh:. I can listen to that dude tell stories all day.

Forgot to add, Bill Burr's Philly rant is right up there with Carlin's "7 words you can't say on TV" imo.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I know he's interested in some heavy topics, but I'm not sure Rogan is all that bright
Depends on what standard we're comparing him against, I guess. For a media personality, he's pretty good, and he certainly isn't as dumb and ignorant as your average comedian.

At least he's not the meat-head that he comes across as in his stand-up. At the very least, I would say that he has a lot of knowledge stored from all the things he's interested in, and he can process ideas about them pretty quickly and eloquently.

Which really surprised me when I first became aware of his non-standup pod-cast persona.
Joe seems like the kinda guy who had to "work" on being funny instead of being naturally funny. His stand up comes across that way to me. Hes got the fundamentals down but something about his stand up just doesn't feel natural. Guys like Chappelle, Rock, Carlin, etc. seem to have this been funny from birth vibe if that makes sense.
Totally.
Stanhope is one of the most consistent comedians I've ever watched. Every single one of his specials is of high quality.
He's terrific. So raw, honest, damaged, uncompromising, deceptively funny, and unhinged, yet usually on point in his own way, too.

I like him more than Bill Burr, personally.

Last edited:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Dana Carvey (if only for his impressions, his standup is fun to listen to)

George Carlin (obviously he was a very smart and funny comedian but I can't handle that much cynicism on repeated viewings)

Carvey's '90s HBO Special is still one of my favorite performances of all-time. I watch it every now and then, it still cracks me up, especially the stuff about OJ considering the recent documentaries about it all.

Less than half of Carlin's career was the mega-cynic schtick. There's plenty of easier-to-listen-to stuff from even the early '90s. Heck, I remember when he started transitioning into the angry old man in the '90s. It wasn't always that way.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Carvey's '90s HBO Special is still one of my favorite performances of all-time. I watch it every now and then, it still cracks me up, especially the stuff about OJ considering the recent documentaries about it all.

Less than half of Carlin's career was the mega-cynic schtick. There's plenty of easier-to-listen-to stuff from even the early '90s. Heck, I remember when he started transitioning into the angry old man in the '90s. It wasn't always that way.
I guess I haven't seen that stand up then cause I've only ever known Carlin as the insightful but crotchety stand up comedian.

Sep 19, 2008
It took me forever but I finally finished the first Chappelle standup special on Netflix. I'm kind of tempted to buy tickets to see him now (again he is coming here, the sale started today...tickets are about 85, which are on par with what he says in his special)

"Hart's tickets are 120 dollars...**** mine are only 80!" :laugh:

Also at first I was kind of curious why he would want all the phones locked up in the pouch, but he alludes to it in the standup. I think I might actually buy those 85 dollar tickets :laugh:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

It wasn't schtick. He was desperately trying to wake people up to the corrupt pieces of **** that run this place.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
It took me forever but I finally finished the first Chappelle standup special on Netflix. I'm kind of tempted to buy tickets to see him now (again he is coming here, the sale started today...tickets are about 85, which are on par with what he says in his special)

"Hart's tickets are 120 dollars...**** mine are only 80!" :laugh:

Also at first I was kind of curious why he would want all the phones locked up in the pouch, but he alludes to it in the standup. I think I might actually buy those 85 dollar tickets :laugh:

Chappelle might end up doing 3+ hours though, so it's not bad on a per hour basis

He's definitely on my list of comics to see live

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Russell Peters is still my go-to, he had a show last year thats on Netflix and it was pretty good.

Chris D'Elia has grown on me.

Kevin Hart is catch and go IMO, some stuff makes you cry of laughter and some is just boring.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
It wasn't schtick. He was desperately trying to wake people up to the corrupt pieces of **** that run this place.

I didn't mean it was a fake stage persona, just that it was what he became known for. *For the lack of a better term.

I guess I haven't seen that stand up then cause I've only ever known Carlin as the insightful but crotchety stand up comedian.

You must change that immediately.

Anything from the '80s onward is gold. The earlier stuff may be an acquired taste. In the '80s work, you can see hints of things to come (anger, politics, etc.) but not beaten to death. Either way, it's still good.

These 4 are under the radar for most, but contain some of his best stuff.

1986: Playin' with Your Head
1988: What Am I Doing in New Jersey?
1990: Parental Advisory: Explicit Lyrics
1992: Jammin' in New York

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Russell Peters is still my go-to, he had a show last year thats on Netflix and it was pretty good.

Chris D'Elia has grown on me.

Kevin Hart is catch and go IMO, some stuff makes you cry of laughter and some is just boring.

Forgot about D'Elia...he's very hit and miss. He has made me laugh in all three of his Netflix specials (one of them was Comedy Central only IIRC) here and there but I feel like he doesn't even really know when he's being funny and when he's just making very obvious observations in an obnoxious voice.

In incorrigible he spends way to much time on how good ummm a certain sexual act feels, a very "yeah no ****" kind of statement. He repeats it several times and even points out "that's so funny" like no...not really.

His story about running into his ex who says his orange shirt is pink and then meeting her mom always cracks me up even though it takes some lame jokes to get there.

He's pretty big on social media so I feel the kind of jokes that get easy laughs and likes on twitter and instagram influence some of the more simple mentality in his lamer jokes. He's got potential to get better but I feel like he needs to get more thoughtful when writing his jokes. The segments of his specials where he just makes weird noises and stupid observations aren't helping him.

I didn't mean it was a fake stage persona, just that it was what he became known for. *For the lack of a better term.

You must change that immediately.

Anything from the '80s onward is gold. The earlier stuff may be an acquired taste. In the '80s work, you can see hints of things to come (anger, politics, etc.) but not beaten to death. Either way, it's still good.

These 4 are under the radar for most, but contain some of his best stuff.

1986: Playin' with Your Head
1988: What Am I Doing in New Jersey?
1990: Parental Advisory: Explicit Lyrics
1992: Jammin' in New York

Will do when I get a chance.

I'm a big fan of stand up comedy in general but I struggle to get away from my go to's, most of which are on Netflix. I probably use Netflix to rewatch stand up specials more than anything else.

I'll look into his old stuff for sure.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Depends on what standard we're comparing him against, I guess. For a media personality, he's pretty good, and he certainly isn't as dumb and ignorant as your average comedian.

At least he's not the meat-head that he comes across as in his stand-up. At the very least, I would say that he has a lot of knowledge stored from all the things he's interested in, and he can process ideas about them pretty quickly and eloquently.

Which really surprised me when I first became aware of his non-standup pod-cast persona.Totally.He's terrific. So raw, honest, damaged, uncompromising, deceptively funny, and unhinged, yet usually on point in his own way, too.

I like him more than Bill Burr, personally.

Stanhope's got something but I can never get past how enamored he seems to be with his own persona. He really - and I mean, really - seem to get off being the drunken underground comedian. It's grating.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
People hate on Rogan and call him a pseudo intellectual but

a) he'd be the first person to tell you he's stupid
b) he's probably more well read than 95% of the population

His bit on stupid people is really, really funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf8R5ZlDiJg

He's not a full time comic that works in clubs and that definitely hurts him.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
^ Yeah, I have no problem whatsoever with Rogan as an interviewer/personality/thinker, but his delivery during standup is incredibly forced/fake and cringey, IMO. That video's kind of a perfect example of that.
Stanhope's got something but I can never get past how enamored he seems to be with his own persona. He really - and I mean, really - seem to get off being the drunken underground comedian. It's grating.
There's definitely some chip-on-his-shoulder/acting-out insecurity going on there, but I don't know that it grates me. And I don't think there's an artifice to it.

Truthfully, I think just about every modern comedian that I like has SOMETHING about them that doesn't feel quite right to me and that I have some reservations about. Bill Burr has a bit of an annoying knee-jerk alpha-male mentality and uses that "I'm pretty much definitely right but what the **** do I know?" escape line every time..... (recent) Louis CK is sometimes too transparent in trying to come across like the level-headed "everything's just the opposite sides of the same coin" thing, etc.

Last edited:

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
People hate on Rogan and call him a pseudo intellectual but

a) he'd be the first person to tell you he's stupid
b) he's probably more well read than 95% of the population

His bit on stupid people is really, really funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf8R5ZlDiJg

He's not a full time comic that works in clubs and that definitely hurts him.

That bit immediately makes me think of Mike Judge's Idiocracy.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Kevin Hart's standups are a lot funnier than his movies.

Katt Williams had great standups before he went complete off the deep end. Pimp Chronicles and It's Pimpin Pimpin were hilarious.

Last edited:

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Wait, you seriously think this is funny? That whole thing was him just screaming into a microphone about how there are more dumb people than smart people.

Did you even listen to the whole thing? It's pretty damn clever. Talks about how the Egyptians built these incredible structures and then drew stick figures on the wall. It's funny and it makes you think. That's Carlin-esque. If you don't like his delivery I get that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->