Stand Up Comedians

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Maybe?

I just didn’t find his material to be all that bad. In terms of poor taste jokes, it was on the extreme low end. I’m pretty far left of center and usually fall into the “yikes maybe they shouldn’t have done that” category, but i just don’t get the outrage on this one.

Any single joke that Burr has ever done cuts deeper than all of Maniscalcos material combined.
Well that's just the nature of doing comedy as an awards show host. I'm sure those were the approved level of jokes he could do and he wasn't going to be allowed to cut deeper.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Just watched the recent Dave Chappelle comedy special on Netflix. Laughter may not be able to justify all of it, for sure, but, man, I thought that was incredibly funny.

He was definitely at his best that show and with some really racey material. He was NOT pulling any punches on his latest stand up.

I like how he dives into this culture of ruining people's lives based on a few random remarks.

Reactions: Roman Fell
Sep 19, 2008

He's right. When the comics are on these podcasts they aren't expected to drop home runs every single time. It's like going to a hockey game and yelling at someone just because he shot the puck at the net and the goalie made the save. Why should every joke be a "goal" so to speak?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

He's right. When the comics are on these podcasts they aren't expected to drop home runs every single time. It's like going to a hockey game and yelling at someone just because he shot the puck at the net and the goalie made the save. Why should every joke be a "goal" so to speak?

What was Shane Gillis' joke? You were asked and never answered.

Reactions: Beau Knows
Sep 19, 2008
What was Shane Gillis' joke? You were asked and never answered.
As many on los and ykwd said it was just comics shooting the shit. Didn't you see what yannis said?

I'm curious how many here actually listen to comedy podcasts.

Sep 19, 2008
Also any sense of moral indignation or outrage should be allayed heavily after seeing what Andrew Yang had to say about it.

If you thought that was bad you don't want to hear los :laugh:

Disagreeing with what he said is fine and I never questioned that. Cancelling him because of what he said is highly concerning.

We live in a culture where a comic was fined 1000 cdn in Canada because he told a joke making fun of a disabled individual.

A comedian was ordered to pay $42,000 because he insulted a child with a disability

In a decision that has many comedians up-in-arms about freedom of speech, a Quebec tribunal has ordered comedian Mike Ward to pay tens of thousands of dollars for the suffering he caused one Quebec boy and his mother.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
As many on los and ykwd said it was just comics shooting the ****. Didn't you see what yannis said?

And yeah, there tends to be consequences to being racist when shooting the shit. Again, where's the joke? What's the purpose? What's the difference between that and yelling " Hey Racial Slur! " and then turning around and saying it's a joke? Why would comedians be immune from criticism solely under the excuse of " comedy "? And how edgy or risky are you if all you expect for your work is complete acceptance?

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Also any sense of moral indignation or outrage should be allayed heavily after seeing what Andrew Yang had to say about it.

If you thought that was bad you don't want to hear los :laugh:

Disagreeing with what he said is fine and I never questioned that. Cancelling him because of what he said is highly concerning.

We live in a culture where a comic was fined 1000 cdn in Canada because he told a joke making fun of a disabled individual.

A comedian was ordered to pay $42,000 because he insulted a child with a disability

In a decision that has many comedians up-in-arms about freedom of speech, a Quebec tribunal has ordered comedian Mike Ward to pay tens of thousands of dollars for the suffering he caused one Quebec boy and his mother.

Nobody is saying that Shane Gillis should live a Mike Ward situation. Who's calling for him to be fined?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Are we still on the Shane Gillis thing?

Won't someone think of his right to say racist stuff and then get hired by a TV show with a high viewership? That is what the founding fathers would have wanted.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Maniscalco is one of the better comics of the last several years, but he was a horrible host for that award show. I didn’t find any of his jokes to be offensive whatsoever. He was just bad. I blame his management team for that one. Hosts rarely shine.

Anyway. Just watched the new Jeff Dunham special. I was definitely entertained. Cheap, clean comedy for the most part. But fun.
I find his jokes to be mostly unfunny but he has amusing delivery

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As many on los and ykwd said it was just comics shooting the ****. Didn't you see what yannis said?

And yeah, there tends to be consequences to being racist when shooting the ****. Again, where's the joke? What's the purpose? What's the difference between that and yelling " Hey ******! " and then turning around and saying it's a joke? Why would comedians be immune from criticism solely under the excuse of " comedy "? And how edgy or risky are you if all you expect for your work is complete acceptance?
This is really the crux of the dispute for me. If I could be convinced that he was legitimately making a valid, explainable joke that is merely misinterpreted (or even if he acknowledged that it isn't and is regrettable/to be avoided as a consequence of that), I would be entirely on the other side of this argument.

Otherwise, it's a complete bull-**** excuse that means nothing. "Hey man, he's just trying to be edgy and say things that will get a reaction in a fun, laid back, who cares about anything environment, he doesn't really mean it" is not a valid counter argument. I mean, if you can't even pass it off as believable legitimate comedic absurdism (which many of these unfairly censored comedian cases, such as that Guardians of the Galaxy guy, fall into), there isn't much of a real defense, IMO (unless you would genuinely argue the same thing for freedom of actual hate speech, which... fair enough, I guess-- at least that would be a consistent worldview).

Intentions are not the only factor worth considering here (this is what Andrew Yang's statement fails to consider, and I like the guy a lot). If I had a platform and could be definitively measured as "0% racist" but I randomly, directly and unambiguously communicated that all Chinese people should be murdered (purposely extreme case, but the exact same logic applies) without a touch of explainable irony (even in a laid back non-serious setting), that would still be problematic and necessary to be accountable for.

On top of that, while I'm inclined to believe that Yang's response was sincere, it's completely moronic to take his word on this as gospel or as some eye-opening revelation-- He's specifically running on a bi-partisan campaign to try to win by tackling the important issues without alienating anti-liberal/SJW conservatives who voted for Trump-- Politically and strategically, it's entirely in his best interests and on-brand to say what he said and not get on the nerves of people who HATE considering this kind of thing. Whether you agree with him or not, this "even HE, of all people, defended it" angle is completely unwarranted and laughable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
"If Martin Luther King had a shoe deal we'd still be on the back of the bus"

In light of recent events in the sports world this joke is more prescient than ever.

And there are losers out there writing blog posts about how Chappelle has fallen on. :rolleyes:

Reactions: bleedblue1223

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Watched Ray Romano Right Here Around The Corner. Wasn’t great. I’m a huge fan of Ray, but seemed kind of like he did it just for the pay cheque.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->