Stand Up Comedians

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Maniscalco recently hosted the MTV Video Music Awards. Despite his monologue drawing laughs from the Prudential Center (Newark, New Jersey) crowd, many watching at home took to twitter to voice their alleged offense at his jokes poking fun at millennials.

:laugh:

His jokes weren't even offensive lol.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
You can reasonably ignore any sentence they includes the phrase “Took to Twitter”

Sep 19, 2008

People were offended by this. :laugh:

Lol at him mocking easily offended people with the "safe space". "Personally I would send you back to your car and send you home." :laugh:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Maniscalco recently hosted the MTV Video Music Awards. Despite his monologue drawing laughs from the Prudential Center (Newark, New Jersey) crowd, many watching at home took to twitter to voice their alleged offense at his jokes poking fun at millennials.

:laugh:

So some people came on twitter and two articles were written, and he didn't even know about it until his manager mentioned it.

Pretty tepid "backlash".

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
So some people came on twitter and two articles were written, and he didn't even know about it until his manager mentioned it.

Pretty tepid "backlash".
He doesn't go on twitter, if twitter didn't exist, people would be ignorant to those types of people. We can't criticize people getting offending at nothing?

In college, there were a lot of people I knew that would've been offended at that stuff, it's not just a small minority of people.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
He doesn't go on twitter, if twitter didn't exist, people would be ignorant to those types of people. We can't criticize people getting offending at nothing?

In college, there were a lot of people I knew that would've been offended at that stuff, it's not just a small minority of people.
You can criticize at your leisure, but it seems stupid to get up in arms because some people got mad on twitter and you had two negative articles sent your way.

Surprise, Twitter has people voice their opinions. A lot of those opinions are dumb. You play into the media's hands when you act like Twitter outrage in general is a huge thing when the reality it is a small thing that gets elevated by the media wanting a story. This is how you get articles about "outrage" by a handful of accounts with fewer than 10 followers.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
You can criticize at your leisure, but it seems stupid to get up in arms because some people got mad on twitter and you had two negative articles sent your way.

Surprise, Twitter has people voice their opinions. A lot of those opinions are dumb. You play into the media's hands when you act like Twitter outrage in general is a huge thing when the reality it is a small thing that gets elevated by the media wanting a story. This is how you get articles about "outrage" by a handful of accounts with fewer than 10 followers.

There's definitely a lot of people who love to look for a few people getting upset so they can make a big deal about it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Making a post is being all up in arms? They should be able to make their silly opinions, and we should be able to call out their silly opinions. I view it as a slippery slope, apparently you don't.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Making a post is being all up in arms?
Not you in particular, but highlighting an article talking about "outrage" on Twitter (I can only seem to find people saying people are outraged) and two negative articles, then trying to call it "cancel culture" is to me getting up in arms in a way.

It is a nothing issue. Just move on.

As far as the set itself being offensive, I would say it offends me as someone who enjoys funny jokes. "Har har we have a SAFE SPACE for you people who are TRIGGERED."

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Not you in particular, but highlighting an article talking about "outrage" on Twitter (I can only seem to find people saying people are outraged) and two negative articles, then trying to call it "cancel culture" is to me getting up in arms in a way.

It is a nothing issue. Just move on.

As far as the set itself being offensive, I would say it offends me as someone who enjoys funny jokes. "Har har we have a SAFE SPACE for you people who are TRIGGERED."

That was his weaker joke, but as long as safe spaces are a real thing, comedians will continue to make fun of how ridiculous they are. It's only not that funny because most people realize how ridiculous they are.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
That was his weaker joke, but as long as safe spaces are a real thing, comedians will continue to make fun of how ridiculous they are. It's only not that funny because most people realize how ridiculous they are.
I feel like people who rally against safe spaces are misinformed about them and the benefits of having them when the context is right.

The problem is it seems a lot of comedians don't pay attention to the context and just make fun of "triggers" or "safe spaces" as a whole, which is pretty silly and not particularly funny.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I feel like people who rally against safe spaces are misinformed about them and the benefits of having them when the context is right.

The problem is it seems a lot of comedians don't pay attention to the context and just make fun of "triggers" or "safe spaces" as a whole, which is pretty silly and not particularly funny.
Part of it is how they are marketed and presented. There is nothing wrong with having a Women's Center or LGBTQ center or anything else like that. Those are technically safe spaces, but aren't presented to the public as such, they are just presented as Women's Center.

The problem is when a speaker like Ben Shapiro goes on a college campus, and the college designates a specific safe space to deal with the "trauma". If you can't handle a neo-conservative, just don't attend the event. Those are the type of things that people make fun of.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Part of it is how they are marketed and presented. There is nothing wrong with having a Women's Center or LGBTQ center or anything else like that. Those are technically safe spaces, but aren't presented to the public as such, they are just presented as Women's Center.

The problem is when a speaker like Ben Shapiro goes on a college campus, and the college designates a specific safe space to deal with the "trauma". If you can't handle a neo-conservative, just don't attend the event. Those are the type of things that people make fun of.
Based on the stand-up I see (including the above clip), that does not appear to be the case.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Based on the stand-up I see (including the above clip), that does not appear to be the case.
He's not making fun of a Women's Center or LGBTQ Center, he's making fun of the people that got offended by his jokes. Creating a safe space behind the stage for the jokes that he was going to do is exactly what I described.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
He's not making fun of a Women's Center or LGBTQ Center, he's making fun of the people that got offended by his jokes. Creating a safe space behind the stage for the jokes that he was going to do is exactly what I described.
How many people ask for safe spaces or feel "triggered" by jokes in general?

Again, it's an idiotic "observation" that barely qualifies as a joke. And it tries to play off like there is this gigantic segment of the population (lol millenials amirite) as a bunch of sensitive babies who freak out over everything.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
How many people ask for safe spaces or feel "triggered" by jokes in general?

Again, it's an idiotic "observation" that barely qualifies as a joke. And it tries to play off like there is this gigantic segment of the population (lol millenials amirite) as a bunch of sensitive babies who freak out over everything.
I mean it wasn't a great joke, but I wouldn't call it idiotic. It goes right along with the everyone gets a trophy mentality. There are plenty of other things that get made fun of where a smaller segment of the population are guilty of, sort of like the segment of the population that get offended by religious jokes. It's not like the sensitive baby segment is so small that they don't impact anything.

It was just a low-hanging fruit type joke.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Maniscalco is one of the better comics of the last several years, but he was a horrible host for that award show. I didn’t find any of his jokes to be offensive whatsoever. He was just bad. I blame his management team for that one. Hosts rarely shine.

Anyway. Just watched the new Jeff Dunham special. I was definitely entertained. Cheap, clean comedy for the most part. But fun.

Sep 19, 2008
Maniscalco is one of the better comics of the last several years, but he was a horrible host for that award show. I didn’t find any of his jokes to be offensive whatsoever. He was just bad. I blame his management team for that one. Hosts rarely shine.

Anyway. Just watched the new Jeff Dunham special. I was definitely entertained. Cheap, clean comedy for the most part. But fun.
Disagree. He was mocking modern culture.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Disagree. He was mocking modern culture.

Yeah?

It’s an easy, lazy target. Cell phones. Safe spaces. Participation trophies. Get off the stage and cash the check. If you wanna say he wasn’t the least bit funny that night, i agree completely.

Sep 19, 2008
Yeah?

It’s an easy, lazy target. Cell phones. Safe spaces. Participation trophies. Get off the stage and cash the check. If you wanna say he wasn’t the least bit funny that night, i agree completely.
He made me chuckle but he was toned down from his usual self so I guess I agree?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
He made me chuckle but he was toned down from his usual self so I guess I agree?

Maybe?

I just didn’t find his material to be all that bad. In terms of poor taste jokes, it was on the extreme low end. I’m pretty far left of center and usually fall into the “yikes maybe they shouldn’t have done that” category, but i just don’t get the outrage on this one.

Any single joke that Burr has ever done cuts deeper than all of Maniscalcos material combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad