ModryJazyk

Go Hawks !
Feb 22, 2010
Bratislava
38874487_1738276816271463_1113505473039958016_o.jpg

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Condolences to his family, friends and all of his fans.

A great hockey player, and even more of a class act, like Rod Gilbert of NYR.

ps - his book I don't recall from decades ago as a kid, but do remember it was a good read.

Was titled "I play to win" , a great read.

Cement Head

I'm tired, I only had 16 hours of sleep!
Dec 23, 2017
Was titled "I play to win" , a great read.
For those who have a library card and have access to Hoopla, you can read Mikita's "Forever a Blackhawk" with Bob Verdi written in 2011 on your IPad.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Thought some Chicago fans might appreciate this. Adam was at the game last night and wrote about him

The Niagara IceDogs celebrate a hometown hockey hero

I started collecting hockey cards and in my 3rd pack was a box hit. A out of /10 autographed Stan Mikita card. To this day my favorite card. I don't know too much hockey history prior to the 80's but that card made me more and more interested that despite never seeing the player play, he became one of my favorites.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
A buddy sent me this link. Hope it works:

Watched the whole thing. Brought back a lot of memories. Thanks for posting.

Right at the 36 minute mark, can see Bobby’s fused right index finger. He had the top of his stick shaved down underlying that finger because he couldn’t grip the stick with it.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Watched the whole thing. Brought back a lot of memories. Thanks for posting.

Right at the 36 minute mark, can see Bobby’s fused right index finger. He had the top of his stick shaved down underlying that finger because he couldn’t grip the stick with it.

Yeah. I used to cringe when Jean Ferguson would insist on picking a fight with Hull on several occasions. He couldn't make a fist with that hand but it didn't stop him. Hull was the goal scorer but had tremendous respect for Mikita the playmaker and would always give him the credit he deserved.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Yeah. I used to cringe when Jean Ferguson would insist on picking a fight with Hull on several occasions. He couldn't make a fist with that hand but it didn't stop him. Hull was the goal scorer but had tremendous respect for Mikita the playmaker and would always give him the credit he deserved.
Uploading some pics of his stick...

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
We used to steam our wooden sticks and warp them in a drawer. Didn't know about the shaved handle or we would have copied that as well.
I used to get penalties on opposing players whose sticks were too curved. Fun times. After a couple of times, Coach knew it was me requesting...I’d do it without him knowing. Usually pissed until the penalty was called after the measurement. Too obvious.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Oh I absolutely believe it's legit.

I also can't believe how the seller called him Steve Makita. (I always dot the "A" too :D)

Mikita was respected by Bruins fans and so was the team itself.

In the last 10 years, Bruins fans came to hate Vancouver ( and we won ) and St. Louis which was a bitter loss.

In 2013 we lost to Chicago but there was no hate and I do believe Hawks fans agree 2013 was the hardest Cup final to win.

As a kid, I can tell you Mikita could be found an hour after a game in Boston signing autographs in the railroad station below the Garden ( and Bobby Hull as well )

In the O6 era, the Blackhawks and Boston had a rivalry and we both hated Montreal. It was no accident that the Bruins asked Stan to be the Chicago representative the last night of the Garden.

Last edited:

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
A famous sports bar across the street from TD Garden could not survive COVID and now they are selling everything at auction.

I always took pride it showing this off to visiting Hawks fans and I hope it gets a good home

Stan Mikita Chicago Blackhawks Sweater, #21, Signed "Steve Makita #21" Framed 49"x37"

6de0702a-5e3d-4b58-a3c6-ac6f01829144.jpg
As somebody who actually is into the memorabilia market, I'm having a hard time with that sig.

stan-mikita-chicago-blackhawks-signed-index-card-beckett-authenticated-ss2-p-12340689-u-3x6ku0xt9zc6.jpg

Mikita never signed as "Steve", you do have the double loops in the S, but there's alot of discrepancies that make this look like a unique signature compared to other Mikita signatures. Another tell is Mikita rarely used the # sign, he just wrote 21.

It's also a red flag when the owner of the piece takes no responsibility of the authentication of the signature.

Buyer beware

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad