Stan Mikita RIP

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
He was the only player in NHL history to win the Hart, Ross and Lady Byng trophies in the same year – he did that twice.

RIP Stan.
Too add on to that, two years before his first Lady Byng... he actually led the league in penalty minutes. Down from 154 minutes to 12. That’s a pretty crazy stat in itself.

RIP

Reactions: Krivo25 and BrianE

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
He and Bobby were the reasons I became a Blackhawks fan when I was 9 years old .and have so remained since...The best Center we ever had and against the toughest competition. ..only 6 original teams ...when being an NHL player was even harder to achieve for the limited number of jobs in the league. SO the heroes were of a larger scope to the imago atom of young fans...A legend of the game and of Chicago. ..now gone..RIP Stan.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Many wonderful memories of those late 60’s and early 70’s teams. Thanks for being a part of those memories, Mr. Mikita.

Reactions: BrianE and BobbyJet

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
Very Sad ......... my favorite Hawk

God Bless you Stan ....... rest in peace

Reactions: BrianE

HawkNut

Jun 12, 2017
He's my favorite Hawk historically, not just because he was a legend, but because he played his whole career with the team. Bobby played elsewhere. Glenn played elsewhere. Tony played elsewhere. Pierre played elsewhere. Steve, Doug, Chris, Ed, Denis, they all played elsewhere.

This team was all Stosh ever knew. R.I.P.

Last edited:

Cement Head

I'm tired, I only had 16 hours of sleep!
Dec 23, 2017
I wrote my only fan letter back in 1975 or 1976 to Mr. Mikita asking him for an autograph picture. He never responded and I never sent another fan letter. I guess he must have been my favorite Chicago athlete at that time. I remember commending him about his work with deaf kids trying to get them involved with ice hockey. I kept waiting for a couple of months for his letter and then I gave up realizing he gets many requests and mine must have slipt through the cracks and into oblivion. I still liked him but he was pretty much past his prime but still effective and then my favorite athlete of all time had a break out year in 1976 for the Bears and the Hawks couldn't even have their away games on television for one year so by the time Stan retired after the 1979-80 season he was an after thought to me. The next season 1980-81 was Dennis Savard's rookie season so the Hawks quickly had a new face for the franchise.

I was happy that Stan and Bobby became Hawk ambassadors after years of estrangement and was really bummed when Stan's wife informed the public about his severe dementia. Maybe hockey played a role with his condition. I read in Gordie's autobiography that he gave Stan some elbows to the head, this was before he wore a helmet.

Anyways, Stan will always be remembered in the history books of the Blackhawks, he was great.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
I wrote my only fan letter back in 1975 or 1976 to Mr. Mikita asking him for an autograph picture. He never responded and I never sent another fan letter. I guess he must have been my favorite Chicago athlete at that time. I remember commending him about his work with deaf kids trying to get them involved with ice hockey. I kept waiting for a couple of months for his letter and then I gave up realizing he gets many requests and mine must have slipt through the cracks and into oblivion. I still liked him but he was pretty much past his prime but still effective and then my favorite athlete of all time had a break out year in 1976 for the Bears and the Hawks couldn't even have their away games on television for one year so by the time Stan retired after the 1979-80 season he was an after thought to me. The next season 1980-81 was Dennis Savard's rookie season so the Hawks quickly had a new face for the franchise.

I was happy that Stan and Bobby became Hawk ambassadors after years of estrangement and was really bummed when Stan's wife informed the public about his severe dementia. Maybe hockey played a role with his condition. I read in Gordie's autobiography that he gave Stan some elbows to the head, this was before he wore a helmet.

Anyways, Stan will always be remembered in the history books of the Blackhawks, he was great.

Great post Cement Head!

Not to go off topic but Gordie gave more than his share of opponents an elbow to the head, in the late 60's a Hawk rookie (can't recall his name and will have to look it up in my Harvey Wittenburg book) said that you really had better watch out for Gordie otherwise he would punch you in the face when the ref was not looking and that is no lie.

He said Gordie was testing you. Lol almost seems like some of those Flyers goons from the 70's or Tiger Williams.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
I saw Stan play quite a few times in the old barn but will never forget when he sat down on the bench during an entire pregame, my Pop and i still talk about that to this day. My Dad says it was his last game but really do not recall the situation but just seeing him sitting there is something i'll never forget.

Another great memory is when my Dad brought me to a Sunday matinee (afternoon game, that's what they called them at the time) and the Hawks played the Pens, Stan scored two beautiful goals from in between the circles right into the corners, i think Denis Herron was in goal if i recall.

The Hawks beat the Pens 9 to 1, in that particular game Dave the Hammer Schultz set an NHL record, all he was doing was fighting and raising hell the entire game (his actions on the ice is something today's fans would never imagine nor tolerate for even a minute) and guess who scored the only Pens tally? Schultzy.

Ah the good ole days of hockey, i mean i love these 3 cups but i miss all those great memories when you went to a game and could not predict how many goals would be scored unlike today's game.

Reactions: pvr

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
so sad to hear this the other day I could not respond. Stan was the reason I became a hawk fan, he is one of the true legends of the game.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Condolences to his family, friends and all of his fans.

A great hockey player, and even more of a class act, like Rod Gilbert of NYR.

ps - his book I don't recall from decades ago as a kid, but do remember it was a good read.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad