Celebrity Death: Stan Lee

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Sad day.......Stan brought a lot of joy to my life

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Anyone who says Stan Lee didn't have some kind of impact on their life is lying. Even if you're not directly into comic books or comic book movies or anything, the reach that his creations have had in pop culture in general is immeasurable and irreplaceable. Even if it's just a thing that was inspired by its creators' love of comics as a kid, a debt is still owed to the incomparable genius that Stan represented and the enduring nature of everything he had a hand in creating. If not for Stan Lee, there'd be an entire corner of our collective consciousness that just wouldn't be the same.

Someone, I think Josh Brolin, said that the trio that shaped him was Dr Seuss, Stan Lee, and Ray Bradbury. So it seems only fitting to close with an applicable Suess quote:

Don't cry because it's over. Be happy because it happened.

Excelsior.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Anyone who says Stan Lee didn't have some kind of impact on their life is lying. Even if you're not directly into comic books or comic book movies or anything, the reach that his creations have had in pop culture in general is immeasurable and irreplaceable. Even if it's just a thing that was inspired by its creators' love of comics as a kid, a debt is still owed to the incomparable genius that Stan represented and the enduring nature of everything he had a hand in creating. If not for Stan Lee, there'd be an entire corner of our collective consciousness that just wouldn't be the same.

I think that we can honor the guy without being too hyperbolic about it. I'm pretty sure that he didn't have an impact on my life (i.e. I'd be the same person without him), but that doesn't mean that I don't honor his talent, his contributions and the impact that he had on so many others' lives.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amerika

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I think that we can honor the guy without being too hyperbolic about it. I'm pretty sure that he didn't have an impact on my life (i.e. I'd be the same person without him), but that doesn't mean that I don't honor his talent, his contributions and the impact that he had on so many others' lives.

An impact doesn't have to mean he changed you as a person. But the chances that some part of your life didn't end up intersecting with comics or comic-derived stuff or anything that owes some small part of itself to the work of Stan Lee are slim to none.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Dr2ImmjXQAUBT3D.jpg:large

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
An impact doesn't have to mean he changed you as a person. But the chances that some part of your life didn't end up intersecting with comics or comic-derived stuff or anything that owes some small part of itself to the work of Stan Lee are slim to none.

What you're describing is a familiarity. There's a slim to none chance of you not being familiar with his work from encountering it at some point in your life. Having your life impacted by his work, on the other hand, means that it influenced your life. The definition of "impact" is to influence or have a noticeable effect.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
What you're describing is a familiarity. There's a slim to none chance of you not being familiar with his work from encountering it at some point in your life. Having your life impacted by his work, on the other hand, means that it influenced your life. The definition of "impact" is to influence or have a noticeable effect.

Really? You're going to choose to use an obituary thread to be pedantic and picky about someone's comments? Whatever turns your crank, I guess, but this seems like neither the time nor the place.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
He created a world that let adults and kids alike escape reality, even for a short time.

He created characters that will FAR outlive all of us.

As a huge comic book lover, he spawned an imagination that has lasted me to this day.

He will be missed.

Reactions: HanSolo

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Really? You're going to choose to use an obituary thread to be pedantic and picky about someone's comments? Whatever turns your crank, I guess, but this seems like neither the time nor the place.

I wouldn't have said anything if you hadn't suggested that people are lying if they disagree with you. Surely, you can see how that wasn't the best choice of language for an obituary thread and how it might invite a response.

Last edited:

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
I was shocked when I heard this. Stan Lee (and Jack Kirby) was my childhood, and I'm sure many, many, many millions feel the same. He is the best of Marvel. He's pretty much created a universe. No one else will make the kind of impact he's made in pop culture. Gone but never forgotten. RIP, true believer. Excelsior!

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I was shocked when I heard this. Stan Lee (and Jack Kirby) was my childhood, and I'm sure many, many, many millions feel the same. He is the best of Marvel. He's pretty much created a universe. No one else will make the kind of impact he's made in pop culture. Gone but never forgotten. RIP, true believer. Excelsior!

He was 95

How old would he have had to be so that you wouldn't have been shocked to hear he died?

Last edited:

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
He was 95

How old would he have had to be so that you wouldn't have been shocked to hear he died?

Not a matter of age, was just surprised to hear he died randomly on the news. Just because something is inevitable doesn't mean you're not taken aback by it when it happens.

BigMac1212

Registered Insominac
I not a comic book fan, per se, but he created a lot of the Marvel Comics characters. Seeing his cameo in the MCU movies, the 90's cartoons, and Big Hero 6 was such a delight. He was such a nice. likeable and kooky guy. He will be missed. RIP, Stan, and Excelsior!

Sep 19, 2008
He created Spider Man which was my main marvel guy growin up in the 90's. Sat in front of the TV for hours after school watchin' that stuff on Fox Kids every Weekday. Spider man spider man. Good program.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Spider-Man is why I started to like photography as a kid (had a mentality of: well I can’t shoot webs but I can shoot photos).

Stan created a character who I will always love in Spidey and gave me a hobby I love just as much as the character. Thank you for shaping my life in more ways then most can imagine.
RIP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->