Stan Fischler:The War Is Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

oildrop

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
PepNCheese said:
Fischler has no more idea what's going on than anybody else does. Probably less, judging by his track record.

Yeah, no doubt. He's sure changed his dates rather quickly. Wasn't he just saying another week or two yesterday?

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
PepNCheese said:
Fischler has no more idea what's going on than anybody else does. Probably less, judging by his track record.

Fischler is a complete buffoon; he has proven himself to have no integrity or credibility throughout the lockout (remember the recycled Dagenais quote he tried to pass off as new). But because he`s pro-owner most fans here won`t criticize him.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
norrisnick said:
Oh you bet your ass Gary would let it be known a finished CBA is out there. There is no chance in hell the owners shoot it down and if Gary announces a deal and the players shoot it down?? There go the last remnants of fans that supported the union in this mess. Announcing the deal would practically force the union to accept it because they'd never live down voting against it.

i agree...which is why it's smart to believe that they've all BUT agreed on the major issues, but until all the legal fine print is painstakingly written out and agreed upon, no one's going to make an announcement. this thing needs to be 100% signed off on by BG and GB, no advance announcements of 'principle', like the NBA was able to do. at that point, cue the press conferences, BOG meetings and player votes for final ratification.

bottom line: fischler's main point: the war is over --is correct, it seems that all the gaps have been bridged. but until that bridge has been meticulously painted and inspected, it's not going to have a grand opening.

unless the big market teams hate it (extremely doubtful) or somehow the players balk (doubtful, but i guess anything could happen :dunno: ) it seems like only a matter of time before this thing is finished. that's basically what our man mckenzie's been saying. problem is, no one really knows (save maybe eklund, spungo and fischler) if it's going to be 2 days, 2 weeks or 4 weeks, but it IS in the forseeable future.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
reckoning said:
Fischler is a complete buffoon; he has proven himself to have no integrity or credibility throughout the lockout (remember the recycled Dagenais quote he tried to pass off as new). But because he`s pro-owner most fans here won`t criticize him.

Oh, I know, believe me. Stan is the Larry Brooks of the pro-owner zombies. His conduct has been unprofessional, if not downright embarassing, during the lockout.

pens66

Kritter471 said:
They may not have a press conference to announce it, but I'm positive it would come out thorugh several sources that a deal in principle had been reached and it was now just pending ratification.

I just love it when a girl talks hockey. That's why I like my gf so much, she's a huge hockey fan. :handclap:

drbill28

Feb 25, 2003
Pomfret Center, CT
Visit site
RangerBoy said:
My sources tell me that next Monday (July 11) an ownership Executive Committee meeting will be convened in New York by commissioner Gary Bettman.

At that time, seven or eight of the executive committee members will prepare the final collective bargaining agreement document for presentation to the 30 owners later in the week for final ratification.

Although some big market teams may be unhappy with aspects of the completed CBA, all 30 are expected to approve the pact.

In addition, it must be approved by the NHL Players' Association membership. If all plans jell, ratification is possible by the middle of next week or the following week at the latest.

http://www.msgnetwork.com/content_n...ticle&sports=ice-hockey&team=other&league=nhl

:clap:
Wouldn't this document already been prepared and signed off by both sides to be the document presented? How much preparation to submit it would there be? I think we're just seeing a lot of reporters just trying to come up with any excuse to make a date in an effort to be the one that called it at this point.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
drbill28 said:
Wouldn't this document already been prepared and signed off by both sides to be the document presented? How much preparation to submit it would there be? I think we're just seeing a lot of reporters just trying to come up with any excuse to make a date in an effort to be the one that called it at this point.
My impression was they were going to make a power-point presentation or something. So sure the sides can see the full document, but they don't want to have to wade through 600 pages of legalese to understand what they're voting on. The executive committee (on both sides) will also want to present the document to their constituants in the most favorable light.

drbill28

Feb 25, 2003
Pomfret Center, CT
Visit site
Kritter471 said:
My impression was they were going to make a power-point presentation or something. So sure the sides can see the full document, but they don't want to have to wade through 600 pages of legalese to understand what they're voting on. The executive committee (on both sides) will also want to present the document to their constituants in the most favorable light.
Ok then that would mean that they would have to be done before the conclusion of Friday assuming they don't talk through the weekend. So this wouldn't change a whole lot from what the other reporters are saying.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
After consulting my star chart, I forsee the deal being signed July 19th at 11:46AM EST.

.........This prediction may or may not be accurate. My reading of the star charts was done after NASA decided to interrupt nature's natural course. &$% you NASA!!!! You have ruined me both financially and emotionally! I want $311 million for this torment that you have wrought!!!!!!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Fischler is the biggest moron in the business. I consider him to have less credibility than Brooks.

chiavsfan

craig1 said:
After consulting my star chart, I forsee the deal being signed July 19th at 11:46AM EST.

.........This prediction may or may not be accurate. My reading of the star charts was done after NASA decided to interrupt nature's natural course. &$% you NASA!!!! You have ruined me both financially and emotionally! I want $311 million for this torment that you have wrought!!!!!!

If you follow the new, this comment is hilarious...if not, you wont get it

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
craig1 said:

<-- zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmm

Lanny MacDonald*

PepNCheese said:
Oh, I know, believe me. Stan is the Larry Brooks of the pro-owner zombies. His conduct has been unprofessional, if not downright embarassing, during the lockout.

I agree that Fischler is a joke and should be put out to pasture. Anyone who refers to themselves in the third person needs some couch time. Both Fischler and Brooks could share some time with Dr. Melphy's.

Oh, and the "pro-owner zombie" crack made me laugh. The zombie has a connotation of being a mindless drone under the control of voo-doo priest looking to do harm and usurp his control. "The zombie does not know what has happened to him, he has no consciousness, he is not even human. The zombie works hard for his master, and if he should slacken he is subject to severe beatings, which he never resists. He is the ideal slave. It is the most terrible of curses..." Seems that description is more applicable to the pro-player contingent and the players themselves, and many of them are waking up to that fact. Its time to wake up and smell the coffee. You supported the losing side. You supported the side that was manipulated and used by a guy with no plan other than to wait for the chaos he creates to errode the resolve on the other side of the debate. You lost. Time to suck it up and move on junior. One order of humble pie coming up.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
oildrop said:
Yeah, no doubt. He's sure changed his dates rather quickly. Wasn't he just saying another week or two yesterday?

No, Fishler has been saying July 15th for a long time even when everyone said June 15 and July 1. Stan is alot closer than most. That means by the end of the week, the negotiating should be complete and a deal in principal should be done.

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
Everyone seems to be getting their shorts in a knot trying to figure out what day it's over, but that's tough to do if you're all using different terminology.

Is it over when the NHL and NHLPA agree on a new CBA?

Or is it over when they actually announce that they've agreed?

Don't confuse the "agreement" with the "announcement." At the risk of repeating myself, I said last Thursday on TSN there would be an "agreement" by the end of this week (Friday, Saturday or Sunday) with an outside chance it could carry over to Monday of next week. As far as I'm concerned, nothing has changed in that regard.

When that agreement is reached, the question is how will both sides mark it. My expectation is that it will be a very short press release saying there's an agreement pending ratification. At that point, both sides will have ratification votes, probably within a week of the announcement, and during that week, everyone in hockey will get a look at the new CBA and start to figure it all out. Once the agreement has been ratified by both sides, then you will get the announcement and it will be a big one, a dog and pony show I'm sure with everything about the agreement but also the new rules and maybe even the actual draft lottery, though that's not certain.

So if you're hung up on when, the agreement should come by the end of this week, the announcement should come a week, give or take a few days, after that assuming ratification goes well on both sides. After that, the league re-opens for business, but probably in stages (i.e. first few days may be only buyouts allowed, small window to sign 2003 and 2004 draft choices, etc., leading up to the unrestricted free agent frenzy, the draft in early August etc.)

Hope that helps, but don't be holding your breath starting today waiting for an agreement or announcement. I'm going golfing. :D

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
Thanks Bob..
Take you cell phone to the course... just in case you get called back
for the announcement... :)

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You definitely won't see any kind of a big, splashy announcement until such time as ratification is complete. The League won't want to risk provoking a backlash within the 'PA, many of whose members will be sore enough without seeing Bettman's face on TV prior to a vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->