Stan Fischler said Potvin was better than Orr!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You speak as if Stan Fischler had credibility to begin with.

LVIsles*

If I was a complete homer I would go along with Fischler, but Stan is an idiot,, I will say Potvin was underated and could arguably be the #2 all time defenseman

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
It's pretty hard to say anybody was better then Orr. He revolutionized the way players played defence.

But among the All-Time great defencemen, Potvin is probably right up there with the best of them.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Fischler lost all credibility to me with this pronouncement. Potvin better than Orr?I never even see Potvin's name in any debates.

Stan Fischler says things to get attention. Thank you for helping his cause.

Strong Island

Jun 6, 2004
Long Island, NY
Stan Fischler says things to get attention. Thank you for helping his cause.

He has repeatedly said that Ray Bourque is not in the top 100 defensemen of all time.

Why you ask? Because he "sold out" Boston to win a cup with the Avs.

Don't pay any attention to Stan.

P.S. "Friesen at the point" ;)

Muttley*

Didn't Fischler write a book a few years ago in which he failed to list Orr among the 20 greatest hockey players of all-time, or something like that?

...to go along with his other hockey-related books about trains and the history of the New York City Subway system.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Bobby would not give Stan the time of day and Stan is upset............ For over 30 years.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Fischler lost all credibility to me with this pronouncement. Potvin better than Orr?I never even see Potvin's name in any debates.

That's because there is no debate when it comes to the best defenseman (and arguably best player) ever.

As for the best dman to ever play the game who was not named Robert Gordon Orr?

Denis Potvin very easily deserves a place in that conversation. (Among mere mortals, i.e., other than Orr, he is the best - most complete - dman I've ever seen, in watching the sport for 30 years. Just one person's opinion, to be sure.)

Stan Fischler is a hockey historian, however at this point in his life, he seems to like to say things just to get a rise out of people. Tabloid, if you will.

Last edited:

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Stan Fischler is a hockey historian, however at this point in his life, he seems to like to say things just to get a rise out of people. Tabloid, if you will.

I had to quit using Fischler's hockey books as a source for my goaltender trivia contest after I had multiple incidents of factual errors in them. Some historian.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
I remember reading a THN article in 81 where Fishler argued Bobby Smith was better than Gretzky. It was in his third pro year and Wayner was on his way to breaking the Esposito scoring record. For the usual reasons, a lot of people wanted to disparage that achievement.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
I had to quit using Fischler's hockey books as a source for my goaltender trivia contest after I had multiple incidents of factual errors in them. Some historian.

I was trying to be nice.

On a message board where derision and personal disrespect is casually posted by the minute, I figured that saying a kind word about an elderly man wasn't the worse thing to do.

I do not get my hockey information from Stan either, for the record.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
On a message board where derision and personal disrespect is casually posted by the minute, I figured that saying a kind word about an elderly man wasn't the worse thing to do.

That's true. To be fair, he seems like a nice guy, and all. He'd probably be a fun guy to have a beer with and watch a hockey game.

Stan, if you're ever in Denver, beers are on me!

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
For all the boneheaded things the Maven says, he is pretty damn entertaining on Devils broadcasts.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Denis Potvin very easily deserves a place in that conversation. (Among mere mortals, i.e., other than Orr, he is the best - most complete - dman I've ever seen, in watching the sport for 30 years. Just one person's opinion, to be sure.)
I don't know if Potvin is in the conversation with Eddie Shore for #2, but #3 is certainly up for debate. Though, I'd give the nod to Doug Harvey and Ray Bourque ahead of Potvin, but he's my #5.

As far as Fischler goes, I thought the only one dumb enough to think Denis Potvin was better than Orr was Denis Potvin. Wasn't it Potvin that said he should've been MVP of the 76 Canada Cup instead of Orr?

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Bobby would not give Stan the time of day and Stan is upset............ For over 30 years.
Nail on the head. I was reading 'Searching for Bobby Orr' and Orr was tough on writers. If he read something he didn't like, he wasn't above ignoring reporters or columnists. Mix that with a guy who places himself above the story, like Fischler, and that's what you get. Orr wasn't media friendly and old time writers were more likely to take them on. Most of them used common sense though.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
I don't know if Potvin is in the conversation with Eddie Shore for #2, but #3 is certainly up for debate. Though, I'd give the nod to Doug Harvey and Ray Bourque ahead of Potvin, but he's my #5.

As far as Fischler goes, I thought the only one dumb enough to think Denis Potvin was better than Orr was Denis Potvin. Wasn't it Potvin that said he should've been MVP of the 76 Canada Cup instead of Orr?
Potvin was better than Orr in that series, imo. Orr got a lifetime achievement award so to speak. Everyone knew it was Orr's 1st and last chance to shine on the international stage, and felt for him. Potvin going public with this was kind of low.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
That's because there is no debate when it comes to the best defenseman (and arguably best player) ever.

As for the best dman to ever play the game who was not named Robert Gordon Orr?

2nded and I'll go with Orr as the best player ever too. I've always felt that while Orr was good defensively, he wasn't great and gets a little to much credit for his defensive play.

Potvin is and was the most complete defenseman I've ever seen. That includes seeing an older Harvey, Orr, Park, Bourque, Robinson, Fetisov (at his best), Lidstrom and Coffey. That doesn't make him better than Orr, Shore or Harvey but is he in that conversation of the next best defenseman... sure.

CharaIsAFreak86

Sep 23, 2006
Boston, MA
What's with these statements and arguments recently coming out? Since when is it debatable that Orr is the best defenseman to ever play the game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad