Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Stan Fischler threw cold water on any progress

http://www.msgnetwork.com/content_n...ticle&sports=ice-hockey&team=other&league=nhl

Stan did offer one nugget

The wishful thinkers make one meaningful point: both NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and Goodenow were supposed to attend the prestigious Sports Lawyers Association (SLA) convention on Saturday in Phoenix.
“Gary and Bob were the two featured speakers,†an SLA member in Phoenix tells me. “Up until Saturday morning we had been assured that they were coming. But, at the last minute, they both cancelled.

“That tells me that they’re still negotiating and maybe -- just maybe -- they’re getting closer to a deal.â€

There was a conference this weekend

SLA Conferences
May 19-21, 2005
Arizona Biltmore Resort
2400 East Missouri
Phoenix, AZ
SLA room rate: $210

http://www.sportslaw.org/conferences/index.cfm

Who knows?

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
I don't know who's worse. Fischler who continues articles with unsubstantiated information or the people here who continue to read him even though they know he writes garbage is about the furthest from the truth as they can get, yet they continue to complain about it. Right now I am voting for the later.

:shakehead

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
I remember watching a rangers game on MSG a couple of years ago. I was laughing so hard during the intermission when Fishler kept showing us replays of Mike Richter making saves (it was before his retirement) and repeated over and over that "he's better than Hasek!"

I mean... Richter was a great, world class goaltender... one of the best in the league. But better than Hasek? That's like saying Stastny was better than Gretzky...

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I find him to be very entertaining and to be honest a prefer what he writes to a lot of the stuff I find here on this board. I thimk you guys are just jealous. But there again that's just my opinion.....

entertaining? yes, in that it's easy to laugh at what he writes ;)

Stan was always a nut, even before he started selling his column space to the NHL. I watched him on the Rangers pre-game and between periods many times and I swear the other guys like Trautwig looked embarassed to be sitting next to him when he started randomly going off about crap

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Masao said:
I remember watching a rangers game on MSG a couple of years ago. I was laughing so hard during the intermission when Fishler kept showing us replays of Mike Richter making saves (it was before his retirement) and repeated over and over that "he's better than Hasek!"

I mean... Richter was a great, world class goaltender... one of the best in the league. But better than Hasek? That's like saying Stastny was better than Gretzky...

Without the Stanley Cup Winning Detroit Red Wings in front of him, Hasek is just an average goalie. Remember his days in Buffalo? If Mike Richter had that same team in front of him he would have also won.

WC Handy*

Icey said:
Without the Stanley Cup Winning Detroit Red Wings in front of him, Hasek is just an average goalie. Remember his days in Buffalo? If Mike Richter had that same team in front of him he would have also won.

You mean his 'days in Buffalo' when he won 6 Vezinas in 8 years?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Icey said:

Really. Some of those Sabre teams had some of the most patheic offenses in the league. Didn't Miroslav Satan set a record for least amount of points that led a team in scoring?

Where is Jason Wooley now? Bob Boughner is a journeyman defenseman. Jay McKee was an inexperienced, young player and was nowhere near the caliber he is today. Darryl Shannon? Come on now... The only one who was a bonafide star player on defense was Alexei Zhitnik and he sucks at playing defense.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
WC Handy said:
You mean his 'days in Buffalo' when he won 6 Vezinas in 8 years?

Yup. Sorry but in my opinion he is the most over rated goaltender out there. I would take Belfour (who by the way, beat this same Hasek and won a Stanley Cup) and Roy any day of the week over Hasek.

And remember those Vezinas are voted on by the media. The best goaltender does not always win the Vezina, just ask Martin Brouder, Marty Turco or Robert Lougeno.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
go kim johnsson said:
Really. Some of those Sabre teams had some of the most patheic offenses in the league. Didn't Miroslav Satan set a record for least amount of points that led a team in scoring?

Where is Jason Wooley now? Bob Boughner is a journeyman defenseman. Jay McKee was an inexperienced, young player and was nowhere near the caliber he is today. Darryl Shannon? Come on now... The only one who was a bonafide star player on defense was Alexei Zhitnik and he sucks at playing defense.

Proves my point that he is only as good as the team in front of him. Didn't say he was bad, but he certainly isn't the greatest.

WC Handy*

Icey said:
Yup. Sorry but in my opinion he is the most over rated goaltender out there. I would take Belfour (who by the way, beat this same Hasek and won a Stanley Cup) and Roy any day of the week over Hasek.

And remember those Vezinas are voted on by the media. The best goaltender does not always win the Vezina, just ask Martin Brouder, Marty Turco or Robert Lougeno.

Hasek played on one Cup calibre team in his career (and won) and even took a non Cup calibre team to the finals.

The players you mentioned have never accomplished what Hasek accomplished behind mediocre teams.

Oh, and how badly your grasping at straws here is illustrated by the fact that you pointed out that Belfour beat Hasek in the finals. This is a team sport.

WC Handy*

Icey said:
Proves my point that he is only as good as the team in front of him. Didn't say he was bad, but he certainly isn't the greatest.

What have Belfour, Brodeur, Luongo, or Turco accomplished with bad teams in front of them?

ResidentAlien*

hockeyfan33 said:
it's great to see eklund getting so much press
he was just on local radio here in vancouver..too funny, he has made quite a name for himself.

Marconius

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
Icey said:

...Wow...there a lot of different reasons one could argue that Hasek might be overrated, but to attribute his success to the pitiful team that played in front of him is just asinine. If anything, Hasek's Buffalo days should be used as evidence that he is underrated, he brought the Buffalo-freaking-Sabres to the finals...
:shakehead :shakehead

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Icey said:
Fischler always hated Roy too.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
ResidentAlien said:
he was just on local radio here in vancouver..too funny, he has made quite a name for himself.

is there anyone out there in the media that knows this guy is a total joke of a person?

ResidentAlien*

go kim johnsson said:
is there anyone out there in the media that knows this guy is a total joke of a person?
I cant speak to that, but he sounded pretty good on the radio, it actually wasnt a bad interview and the interviewer ( one f the Cauck play by play guys) seem to suggest he knew he had contacts.
who knows, Ijust dont get why he gets so many peoples panties in a bunch, reeks of jealuosy
:dunno:

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
ResidentAlien said:
I cant speak to that, but he sounded pretty good on the radio, it actually wasnt a bad interview and the interviewer ( one f the Cauck play by play guys) seem to suggest he knew he had contacts.
who knows, Ijust dont get why he gets so many peoples panties in a bunch, reeks of jealuosy

It's probably because he has no journalistic integrity whatsoever, and is no different than people who write for the national enquirer. If people are jealous of those journalists, then I guess theyre jealous of Fischler too. One thing that irks me about him is when I read his Cracked Ice book he specifically bashed players just because they didn't visit his sick son in the hospital. I didn't know visiting someones kid made them a better player on the ice, and also made them a better human being. Sometimes people have other lives, and some of the players he bashed for not visiting Fischlers kid had no friendship with Fischler at all, so like usual he makes no sense.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
I remember reading Stan Fishler articles/"thoughts"...when I was a kid. It didn't take adult wisdom to know his purpose was (and always will be) to "get it wrong".
His "all time rankings" and notorious "Gretzky is too small" stuff made him a legend...of the most dubious variety. :propeller

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
ResidentAlien said:

go back (if they're still up) and read his old posts. If you go back to november it says that the deal will be done in almost every post and that the players will agree to a hard cap to whatever the number he made up was.

he is no more credible than you and I.

I have also talked to some people, who are fans just like you and I, who have emailed Eklund before and said they were insiders and he just posted their crap.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Ijust dont get why he gets so many peoples panties in a bunch, reeks of jealuosy

edit: doh, i just realized you were talking about ecklund, not fischler, somehow i got mixed up :shakehead

still, i don't see why pointing out his information is unreliable at best makes people "jealous" of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad