Stan Bowman thread (mod warning post 965)

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
By the time Mack needs a new contract taking less will be like 12 million a year. Maybe more. He's due at the end of the 22-23 season.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Or gazillion small cuts, making it death by thousand cuts.
1. Runblad - nothimg more to say
2. 2 seconds for Timmonen
3. Given away Anders Nielsen for free. Not getting anybody back for him.
4. Giving away Anti Raanta for peanuts
etc.
The other big mistakes have been hotly debated (Bickell, 10.5 mln twin contracts, Seabrook) but what strikes me he has not got a single person who is a value to the team, like McKinnon contract. Every team has some contracts with some value, even if not as good as McKinnon, on Hawks I would struggle to name a single contract with value except or Murphy which was not signed by him. Even his Anisimov contract he bragged so much about had to take dead cap money back in terms of plug player.
Who's Anders Nielsen?

Reactions: Callidusblackhawk

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So during the NJ telecast of last night's game ((I had to watch the NJ telecast my Roger's SpirtsPak which includes NHL games only showed their telecast here in Ottawa, not the Hawks telecast ...even though they showed 2 different channels in the broadcast schedule for Friday's NHL games and that usually means a choice of following on Either team's tv telecasts..but they showed on the NJ crew on both channels they said tge game would be on)...

Anyway...the NJ tv guys mentioned that Stan told them in a pre-gamevinterview that the Hawks would be an Elite Team again in 18 to 24 months!

This therefore is an admission by Stan that the current Hawks squad is not elite (notcsuroeisibg cause we know they are not) but this frank admission sort ofvinpliesxto the vets on this team that they got no chance this season...so it is surprising that Stan has zero belief that this squad can pull off a STL-like great 2nd half to become Elite contenders and win a Cup likevthe Blues did last season when they rose from the bottom with a n Mazibg 2nd half.

In any case,the 18 to 34 months timeline Stan thinks it will take to get the Hawks tovelite level means:

Minimum of 18 months away is May 2021....means Hawks will not realizexas steam they are back to Ekute level till NHL playoffs in thec spring of 2021.

Maximum timevkaose till Elite statusxreached is 34 months away...means

September of 2022.

If Rocky agrees with these timeline minimum and maximums then Stan's job is safe till after the Roster moves in the summer of 2022.

What needs to happen to add to and subtract from the team inthe interim between these objective time line targets?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
So during the NJ telecast of last night's game ((I had to watch the NJ telecast my Roger's SpirtsPak which includes NHL games only showed their telecast here in Ottawa, not the Hawks telecast ...even though they showed 2 different channels in the broadcast schedule for Friday's NHL games and that usually means a choice of following on Either team's tv telecasts..but they showed on the NJ crew on both channels they said tge game would be on)...

Anyway...the NJ tv guys mentioned that Stan told them in a pre-gamevinterview that the Hawks would be an Elite Team again in 18 to 24 months!

This therefore is an admission by Stan that the current Hawks squad is not elite (notcsuroeisibg cause we know they are not) but this frank admission sort ofvinpliesxto the vets on this team that they got no chance this season...so it is surprising that Stan has zero belief that this squad can pull off a STL-like great 2nd half to become Elite contenders and win a Cup likevthe Blues did last season when they rose from the bottom with a n Mazibg 2nd half.

In any case,the 18 to 34 months timeline Stan thinks it will take to get the Hawks tovelite level means:

Minimum of 18 months away is May 2021....means Hawks will not realizexas steam they are back to Ekute level till NHL playoffs in thec spring of 2021.

Maximum timevkaose till Elite statusxreached is 34 months away...means

September of 2022.

If Rocky agrees with these timeline minimum and maximums then Stan's job is safe till after the Roster moves in the summer of 2022.

What needs to happen to add to and subtract from the team inthe interim between these objective time line targets?
ref the bold, this truly pisses me off to no ends.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Why? What would be your alternative plan? The current core clearly are not at elite level save Kane.
if one would look at the specific timeline, he would be coming to the end of certain players with their contracts coming to an end.

the next biggest point is, Sb will maintain a certain status quo with the team. while the team is to no better than what we are seeing at the moment. no plans to go out and fix this team making necessary moves ........

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
if one would look at the specific timeline, he would be coming to the end of certain players with their contracts coming to an end.

the next biggest point is, Sb will maintain a certain status quo with the team. while the team is to no better than what we are seeing at the moment. no plans to go out and fix this team making necessary moves ........

There’s not much to do beside wait for Boqvist and Mitchell, unless you want to trade them and try to juice this dried up turnip (which I think would be a mistake). I also think the doesn’t suddenly get better once those two defensemen arrive, it could take a few years for them to be complete impact NHL players.

Toews and Seabrook are hurting this team in two ways, and those ways compound:

1. Not providing production that matches their cap hit
2. Their cap hits are preventing Bowman from acquiring the necessary depth behind Kane and Keith to win.

Bottom line, I think Stan is stuck and there’s not much he (or any replacement) can do to get out of this aside from buying out Seabrook and hoping someone wants to trade for Toews.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
didnt he say the exact thing last year? this guy is great at covering his ass
Yea as in it wouldn't be elite or great this year but still the future. I'm not sure why this angers people, never understood how it was so clearly a retool from the moment Hossa retired.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
imho the moment toews lost his winger in a trade it all went to hell in a hand basket. then you add Hossa retirement it just compounded the problem. Toews is good and even in the days he was scoring, he has always had elite wingers.

just venting a little.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I would love to see chelios be our next gm

upload_2019-12-9_21-32-51.gif

Reactions: LordKOTL

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Chelios could be really good at it. Look around the league, Yzerman, Sakic, Sweeney, Blake, Francis all doing a good job. Chelios played in their era and has been around the league so long, he would have as many connections as anyone. It used to sound like a meathead idea to me to put a former player in there. Not anymore. The track record of the above mentioned GMs speaks for itself. They get trades done, some of the most team friendly contracts in the league too, Pastrnak, Kucherov’s first deal, MacKinnon just to name a few. Good drafting. There’s something about being a former player that is valuable in that position.

Reactions: UncleElroy1224

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Chelios could be really good at it. Look around the league, Yzerman, Sakic, Sweeney, Blake, Francis all doing a good job. Chelios played in their era and has been around the league so long, he would have as many connections as anyone. It used to sound like a meathead idea to me to put a former player in there. Not anymore. The track record of the above mentioned GMs speaks for itself. They get trades done, some of the most team friendly contracts in the league too, Pastrnak, Kucherov’s first deal, MacKinnon just to name a few. Good drafting. There’s something about being a former player that is valuable in that position.

Does Francis have a job? Have any of them won a cup?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Does Francis have a job? Have any of them won a cup?

Francis is with Seattle. No, they haven’t won Cups yet. They are mostly new to the league. I mean, Chiarelli won a Cup, nobody wants to hire him. That’s not a deal breaker for me.

Reactions: UncleElroy1224

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Francis is with Seattle. No, they haven’t won Cups yet. They are mostly new to the league. I mean, Chiarelli won a Cup, nobody wants to hire him. That’s not a deal breaker for me.

Yzerman, Sakic, and Francis are not new to the league.

Big misconception about Mac’s deal is that it was a steal from the start...he was coming off a 52 point season and scored 53 points the first year of the deal. Mac is hugely influenced by Crosby who takes less as well.

Their drafting is not that good like you claim.

I am not against against Chelios but there is nothing saying he would be a great GM.

Last edited:

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
I was hoping for Chelios to be behind the bench in some capacity at some point. Still hoping..

I like that Stan has made bold moves and I've made that clear in the past. But, as of now, many of those bold moves are looking more & more underwhelming. Whether it's leadership, chemistry, respect, whatever, the best part of the season shouldn't be the fact we signed an FA goalie who saved the team's butt game after game.

I mean, if I was Santa, I'd be handing out some serious coal to blackhawk affiliated stockings. Kane, Lehner, Dach and some others are the exceptions.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Yzerman, Sakic, and Francis are not new to the league.

Big misconception about Mac’s deal is that it was a steal from the start...he was coming off a 52 point season and scored 53 points the first year of the deal. Mac is hugely influenced by Crosby who takes less as well.

Their drafting is not that good like you claim.

I am not against against Chelios but there is nothing saying he would be a great GM.

i agree and think that many of this talk is the Bhawks fandom talking.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i really hate to do this, but alot of those players/gm had jobs in a hockey org. i mean jobs that really matter.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
i really hate to do this, but alot of those players/gm had jobs in a hockey org. i mean jobs that really matter.

Yeah, maybe he is not ready yet. Not going to pretend to know what how much experience he would need. But those GMs have been surprisingly good IMO.

Reactions: LDF

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
No new GM can come in and just do some magic. There is no way that any GM here would be allowed to trade Toews or Kane or Keith or even Seabrook - without it getting public they want to get traded. Work with this and wait for them to run out of contracts.
That's the truth that 3 Cups take with them. You accept this for all those sweet and great years watching them Winning Cup(s).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->