Proposal: Stamkos?

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Is it worth taking a shot at getting Stamkos out of Tampa? They need to clear cap space to sign Cirelli and Cernak after re-signing Sergachev. While he's their captain, they proved they can go on a Cup run without him and win. He'd provide us much needed scoring. His one-timer from the left faceoff dot is second only to Ovechkin's. We have the cap space. If they retain some salary and we don't give up a ton, ala a reverse Subban trade, is it worth the risk?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Is it worth taking a shot at getting Stamkos out of Tampa? They need to clear cap space to sign Cirelli and Cernak after re-signing Sergachev. While he's their captain, they proved they can go on a Cup run without him and win. He'd provide us much needed scoring. His one-timer from the left faceoff dot is second only to Ovechkin's. We have the cap space. If they retain some salary and we don't give up a ton, ala a reverse Subban trade, is it worth the risk?

Yes, his lowest goal total for the past 3 years is 27. You can expect 75 games a year and it would be nice to get a #1 pick on the team...

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I guess the first thing you have to figure out is his NMC and if he's even willing to move. Then if you get past that, the health is a major question too. What is his prognosis, recalling he re-aggravated his core/groin/abdominal whatever issue that has plagued him.

Although if both those hurdles are cleared, obviously he's an elite player, and his salary situation is pretty attractive too since he is only owed another $1M this year, and has back-diving salaries on the rest of his contract. So you aren't even paying him $6M a year on average for the remaining 4 years, even though the cap hit is much higher.

Given what Tampa has done (or rather not done) thus far in their signings, though, I'd expect to see surprisingly low bridge deals to Cernak and Cirelli, and then Stamkos on IR, and Tampa laughs at us all. Just a hunch.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I guess the first thing you have to figure out is his NMC and if he's even willing to move. Then if you get past that, the health is a major question too. What is his prognosis, recalling he re-aggravated his core/groin/abdominal whatever issue that has plagued him.

Although if both those hurdles are cleared, obviously he's an elite player, and his salary situation is pretty attractive too since he is only owed another $1M this year, and has back-diving salaries on the rest of his contract. So you aren't even paying him $6M a year on average for the remaining 4 years, even though the cap hit is much higher.

Given what Tampa has done (or rather not done) thus far in their signings, though, I'd expect to see surprisingly low bridge deals to Cernak and Cirelli, and then Stamkos on IR, and Tampa laughs at us all. Just a hunch.
Cheap bridge deals and stamkos to IR only buys them some time. Stamkos would need to be out all season then they’ll just have to deal with it next season since they don’t have much coming off the books. So they’ll have to figure it out at some point. I guess they could pay Seattle to take on TJ but why not just do it now and then see if Seattle is interested in Killorn or someone else

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
If he truly is available, I think we at least have to take a look at him. There are some uncertainties with him, so I wouldn't mortgage the whole future for him but I would ready to give up a guy like Tolvanen + some lower picks for him, not a 1st. I don't think Tampa views him as a Subban-type deal just yet, although they do need cap space badly.

My preferable choice from Tampa would be Killorn + some enticement from them for taking the contract.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Cheap bridge deals and stamkos to IR only buys them some time. Stamkos would need to be out all season then they’ll just have to deal with it next season since they don’t have much coming off the books. So they’ll have to figure it out at some point. I guess they could pay Seattle to take on TJ but why not just do it now and then see if Seattle is interested in Killorn or someone else
For all we know, there won't be a season and Seattle will just take Johnson anyway, and that plus letting other UFAs go next off-season again solves Tampa's issue. Or they start the season with Stamkos on IR and somebody else gets hurt later on before his return.

Anyway, I can definitely see why Tampa would just wait things out. No need to pay out to solve a problem today that might not even exist for them tomorrow.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I feel like there are several pluses and minuses with him.

Pro: Elite scorer, fits our core's age, window stays open at least for a while.

Con:Multiple serious injuries lately, cost to acquire, most expensive forward(If he doesn't pan out)

We would pretty much have to win a cup for him to be worth it in my opinion, if we don't and the cost includes Fabbro, Tomasino, multiple 1sts or Askarov we're pretty much setting ourselves back when the time comes to go all in on a rebuild. But, if he's healthy, he brings us closer to winning it all.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I feel like there are several pluses and minuses with him.

Pro: Elite scorer, fits our core's age, window stays open at least for a while.

Con:Multiple serious injuries lately, cost to acquire, most expensive forward(If he doesn't pan out)

We would pretty much have to win a cup for him to be worth it in my opinion, if we don't and the cost includes Fabbro, Tomasino, multiple 1sts or Askarov we're pretty much setting ourselves back when the time comes to go all in on a rebuild. But, if he's healthy, he brings us closer to winning it all.
I mean, if the Con is paying any cost on the order of Fabbro, Tomasino, 1sts, or Askarov, then I think we just walk away, period.

I think this is only even a discussion if Tampa Bay is effectively giving Stamkos away for free as a way to solve their cap issue. Or at least selling him at a massive discount. Jarnkrok and a 2nd? Just for Tolvanen? Something that really doesn't hurt us. If that's not the case, then I don't think we're even looking at this. :dunno:

Reactions: Scoresberg

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I mean, if the Con is paying any cost on the order of Fabbro, Tomasino, 1sts, or Askarov, then I think we just walk away, period.

I think this is only even a discussion if Tampa Bay is effectively giving Stamkos away for free as a way to solve their cap issue. Or at least selling him at a massive discount. Jarnkrok and a 2nd? Just for Tolvanen? Something that really doesn't hurt us. If that's not the case, then I don't think we're even looking at this. :dunno:

If that were the case I'm sure there are several teams that could beat Jarnkrok and a 2nd. A NJ or a Columbus could make it work if they wanted to, but Columbus might be the only one that makes sense.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If that were the case I'm sure there are several teams that could beat Jarnkrok and a 2nd. A NJ or a Columbus could make it work if they wanted to, but Columbus might be the only one that makes sense.
And that's all good afaic. I wouldn't get into any bidding war for Stamkos. Assuming he is waiving his NMC, if he's willing to waive for Columbus or NJ as well, have at it.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Stammer is not going anywhere. It has been pretty clear how this was going to end up since Johnson cleared waivers. They sign Sergi first now it will be Cernak that leaves Cirelli, Joseph and Volchek out. JBB has tried mutiple things to clear space and he has clarification now of one of two things either the season is going to be postponed or he has a deal in place to trade the rights for Cirelli and Johnson for picks and a A prospect. Since there are not many teams with the ability to clear the space for them Im betting the season is lost and the Lightning will get cap relief in the expansion draft and a couple UFA's falling off the books after 20-21.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
For all we know, there won't be a season and Seattle will just take Johnson anyway, and that plus letting other UFAs go next off-season again solves Tampa's issue. Or they start the season with Stamkos on IR and somebody else gets hurt later on before his return.

Anyway, I can definitely see why Tampa would just wait things out. No need to pay out to solve a problem today that might not even exist for them tomorrow.

Yeah that's why all the teams that need to shed cap are waiting till last minute/camp. They need to see what is going to happen with the season. Tampa's highest paid UFA next season is 1.8M. If they let all 5 UFAs go and replace them with league minimum, it'll only open ~3.5M. I guess that gets them close to a Cernak bridgedeal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->