Stamkos vs Tavares

Stamkos vs Tavares

• Total voters

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016

Should make a seperate poll about who would you rather have in the playoffs.

Stamkos pretty much undisputably has had a better regular season career than Tavares, but his playoff performance and reputation leaves a lot to be desired. OTOH, Tavares seems to be a big game player who shows up for clutch moments when the pressure is highest. Not to mention his impact on the Bergeron line so far shouldn't be understated.

Reactions: unitedstars87

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I thought Stamkos was done earlier this year just living off teammates, usage and rep....so really glad to see his bounce back and looking as dangerous as he did during the second half and looking like a legit star again. He's always seemed like a good guy to me and one of the most fun guys to watch.

I wish Tavares could skate like Stamkos, and had his one timer, but overall I have to take Tavares because he's way more consistent and, until this year, he's been in a way tougher situation with lesser players and produced on par with Stamkos. He scores goals in more ways than Stamkos does who really relies on the PP and his one timer a lot.

Also, Tavares seems like he handles the mental aspect and pressures better. Stamkos is more emotional...up/down. I think Stamkos would have had trouble playing in a big market on a big stage but Tavares is made for it. JT's a hockey robot. Stamkos is just a human being.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I thought Stamkos was done earlier this year just living off teammates, usage and rep....so really glad to see his bounce back and looking as dangerous as he did during the second half and looking like a legit star again. He's always seemed like a good guy to me and one of the most fun guys to watch.

I wish Tavares could skate like Stamkos, and had his one timer, but overall I have to take Tavares because he's way more consistent and, until this year, he's been in a way tougher situation with lesser players and produced on par with Stamkos. He scores goals in more ways than Stamkos does who really relies on the PP and his one timer a lot.

Also, Tavares seems like he handles the mental aspect and pressures better. Stamkos is more emotional...up/down. I think Stamkos would have had trouble playing in a big market on a big stage but Tavares is made for it. JT's a hockey robot. Stamkos is just a human being.
Stamkos just seems like a really nice guy. Almost too nice for what it takes to be an elite hockey player.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Nice bump and bad timing, haha. I think Tavares is a bit better, but he’ll be making $11M in his mid 30’s. That’s too much for my liking.

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Nice bump and bad timing, haha. I think Tavares is a bit better, but he’ll be making $11M in his mid 30’s. That’s too much for my liking.
That’s very fair especially with his skating. Only thing I can see that might keep him going into his mid 30’s is his edge work skating, find spaces, in excellent shape and his hands are elite along with his snipe.

Leafsrock95

Oct 4, 2014
I swear there was a poll o this recently idk who I picked buy I’m taking Tavares this time. Honestly it’s close more or less which style you prefer. Although idk I feel Tavares is more consistent but stamkos is more likely to light it up.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I always liked Stamkos better earlier in their careers but now that Tavares is a Leaf, Tavares.

RAB FERD

Oct 2, 2013
Ill take JT any day of the week. Yea the leafs have cap problems but he aint one of em.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd take Tavares. I think he's the guy more capable of elevating linemates around him. I'd pay the extra couple million per year on that.

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
It's always been Tavares. Stamkos has been a product of others, a very good weapon, but not a better player than Tavares. Many things are subjective in life, this is not one of those things.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Instead of looking at this as 8.5M to 11M, can we also consider the fact that Stamkos would have signed for 10+M at that time if he'd signed anywhere else due to Florida having lower taxes.

So I'm going to look at this as Stamkos @10M vs Tavares @ 11M and I'm going with John Tavares.
He's less injury prone, isn't quite the goal scorer Stamkos is, but he's got similar offensive upside and I think it's fair to say it's a better all round player.
Tavares to me, has a been a huge disappointment. I thought he was supposed to be THE NEXT one. People were ranting and raving over him when he was barely into his teens and he was hyped so hard to be the leader of the current generation of hockey.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Leafs fans sure are quick to call all of our players chokers when they are even worse. At least we make it out of the first round every now and then.

Point>Matthews
Stamkos>Tavares

Not very close either.

Reactions: Yasuo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad