Stalock's RFA rights

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Organization as a whole is very high on Grosenick. His numbers in Worcester are the most affected by the terrible team here.

Sateri is Sateri, and as an upcoming RFA I'm thinking there's a pretty good chance he won't be qualified.

Regarding Sateri not being qualified (I can't believe how poorly his development went) I know Anderson can back up Grosenick next year but I'm wondering if the org is going to be able to bring Bergvik over, or even try.

I'm not sure on his contract situation and I think staying in Sweden would probably be better for his development but I remember hearing that they would like him in NA sooner rather then later.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
The key is they're not messing with Grosenick too much...they're taking the same route with him as they did with Stalock. Both are athletic, slightly unconventional goaltenders that Thomas and Schwab are just tweaking a little here and there and are letting them do what they do best.

It's kinda funny how this organization does not do very great with conventional goalies.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
It can as far as I'm aware.

Big if but if Niemi doesn't turn the corner and stalock becomes hot down the stretch. Seems like a very obtainable goal as he would likely at least start in the playoffs. if neimi is poop tonight I can see them going back to stalock on Saturday. Minus the first goal versus Carolina I thought he was solid. Niemi has a good opportunity tonight to play against the high-powered offense of the Penguins. If he plays well get the W it would do a ton for his confidence.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
From the few Worcester games I've watched, Troy Grosenick has a special place in my heart. Poor guy.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I was speaking of the immediate term. I don't think that they are thinking that he is NHL ready for next year.

He doesn't have to be, Niemi has another year to go.

I'm talking about scouting the kids, the 16, 17, 18 year olds. Puck skills aren't even on the list of things goalie scouts look for.

It actually is...it's #83 on the list just behind "taller than Darren Pang". :sarcasm:

It's kinda funny how this organization does not do very great with conventional goalies.

You are not the only one that has noticed that...

Last edited by a moderator:

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
The org likes Stalock a LOT. UFA, RFA, it really doesn't matter a whole lot when it comes to whether or not he'll be re-signed. It might make a difference in the dollar amount he's offered, though I don't think it would be much.

I have very little doubt he'll be in teal next season.

I do too because the market seems to be soft this off-season; one that favors GMs and not backup goalies.

Suddenly Zyuzin

Jan 14, 2007
Edison, New Jersey
Stalock has a lot of potential and honestly, I think he is better than Niemi right now. Niemi's year last year was a fluke. However, I doubt there is massive interest in Stalock as a FA. He's 26 and has played only a handful of games in the NHL. i doubt any team out there considers him anything more than a backup and probably wouldn't offer more than 2 mill for him. I imagine the Sharks will sign him and they might do more of a 40/60 split next year. If Stalock keeps playing well, Niemi could be traded.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
He doesn't have to be, Niemi has another year to go.

I was thinking on the order of needings two not just one goalie. I am sure Stalock is their #1 selection for the second spot. All I am talking about is the second spot.

I also noticed that TM is resting Nemo more this year. Taking a tip from Boston?:o

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I was thinking on the order of needings two not just one goalie. I am sure Stalock is their #1 selection for the second spot. All I am talking about is the second spot.

I also noticed that TM is resting Nemo more this year. Taking a tip from Boston?:o

I think 10 more games should be his max for the rest of this season.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Stalock has a lot of potential and honestly, I think he is better than Niemi right now. Niemi's year last year was a fluke. However, I doubt there is massive interest in Stalock as a FA. He's 26 and has played only a handful of games in the NHL. i doubt any team out there considers him anything more than a backup and probably wouldn't offer more than 2 mill for him. I imagine the Sharks will sign him and they might do more of a 40/60 split next year. If Stalock keeps playing well, Niemi could be traded.

Yeah, Niemi's partial season resulting in a Vezina nomination is a fluke but Stalock's 14 starts are clearly indicative of his ability.

Do people realize that Stalock is just 4 years younger than Niemi? I love Stalock but I"m getting seriously annoyed at people putting down Niemi. You know, it's possible to be a fan of *gasp* BOTH goaltenders!

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Yeah, Niemi's partial season resulting in a Vezina nomination is a fluke but Stalock's 14 starts are clearly indicative of his ability.

Do people realize that Stalock is just 4 years younger than Niemi? I love Stalock but I"m getting seriously annoyed at people putting down Niemi. You know, it's possible to be a fan of *gasp* BOTH goaltenders!

:handclap:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Not to mention Niemi playing well in his Cup run, and last playoffs very well.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

It is annoying. They are both good goalies with different styles.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
It is annoying. They are both good goalies with different styles.

Night and day. In a sense that helps the team especially if the coach keeps his lips zipped as to who the starter will be for a given game.

I don't think Nemo is truly Vezina caliber and I do think he has been off his game since early in the season. I think he is correcting flaws that have cropped up. On his game, he doesn't give up short side or five hole which is very good. He consistently pays attention to details. When at the pinnacle of his game, he keeps his posture upright very well. At the top of his game, he is a top ten goalie.

Stalock gets across really fast (like Quick) and is an excellent puckhandler.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011

I think it has a lot more to do with Stalock

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
You don't think it's bad that the organization has issues developing "standard" styled goaltender?

It's not a big concern in my opinion considering the types of goaltenders they've drafted over the years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad