Stafford or Fehr??

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't know a ton about Fehr, but I think it's safe to say that Stafford isn't getting a fair shake around here. He isn't a true sniper but has excellent size, speed, underrated skills, and plays a two-way game. I see him as more of a second line player, but he has the ability to play the game anyway you want it.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
I don't know a ton about Fehr, but I think it's safe to say that Stafford isn't getting a fair shake around here. He isn't a true sniper but has excellent size, speed, underrated skills, and plays a two-way game. I see him as more of a second line player, but he has the ability to play the game anyway you want it.

stafford is a 2 way player with mike peca type upside? you dont think thats a fair shake? would you feel the same if he didnt have minnesota connections?

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
LOL LOL LOL... Bull Sh*t

Linked for your reading pleasure:

http://www.washingtoncaps.com/news/news.asp?story_id=4070

Don't wanna read the whole thing?

Mink on the Bears having a different hero virtually every night: “That was the key to our success. We had different guys showing up every night. Flash and Beecher were unbelievable. They had a lot of points and won us a lot of games, but we also had great players like Eric Fehr. He came in here at the beginning of the year and told us, ‘I only score big goals.’ I looked at him and thought, ‘Who is this guy?’ But it was absolutely the truth. The kid has a nose for the net and a flair for the dramatic. It’s players like him and Mike Green and Brooks Laich, Boyd Gordon, Dave Steckel. The list goes on. Just the chemistry and our experience was the biggest difference-maker. We have a lot of old guys and a lot of guys who have been around before and maybe haven’t won a championship, but could show us the way. That was the secret, I guess. Chemistry.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
stafford is a 2 way player with mike peca type upside? you dont think thats a fair shake? would you feel the same if he didnt have minnesota connections?

I don't think he plays like Peca at all. As for Minnesota connections, what does that have to do with anything? A lot of misconceptions get tossed around on this board for sure.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site

Stafford was born in Milwakee. And aside from water street, and Miller park. There is nothing good in all of Cheese land. And going to NoDak for hockey. There is more reason right there for any Minnesotian to really despise him. I am just glad he is gone.

ajsonor

Jun 11, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
I'm not buying the poor mans Mike Peca arguement. This guy is 6'2", 200 lbs. He's a two way player. He can play physical. He lead NCAA in shorthanded goals and finished in the top 10 overall. Played for an outstanding program and competed for team USA in the world championships this year.

Sounds like everyone is putting him down.

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
I'm not buying the poor mans Mike Peca arguement. This guy is 6'2", 200 lbs. He's a two way player. He can play physical. He lead NCAA in shorthanded goals and finished in the top 10 overall. Played for an outstanding program and competed for team USA in the world championships this year.

Sounds like everyone is putting him down.
He also lead Team USA in scoring at the WJC a couple of years ago. I don't get it. :dunno:

liquid swords

bring the ruckus
Apr 17, 2006
buffalo
calling stafford a poor man's peca is one of the most unfounded, ignorant, and just plain wrong statements i've ever seen on this board. the guy has a ton of offensive skill, can finish, and is just as solid in his own end. he can play the power play, he can play the penalty kill, he's extremely versatile but definitely knows how to put the puck in the net. barring mishap i expect stafford to make far bigger waves in the nhl than fehr.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I think Fehr was probably joking or nervous if he said, "I only score big goals." The context of the interview with Mink was probably after the big game and he was just giving props to Fehr. Everything I've heard about Fehr is that he is humble and a great character guy.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
last i checked you need someone to score that go ahead goal to get the 1 goal lead in game 7 of the finals.........stafford will be on the bench in a tie game or a game when you arent ahead and fehr will be out there on the ice trying to score that goal.

Ill take a sniper over a poor mans mike peca. as stated in my last post......teams dont choose "all around" over snipers very often.

calling stafford a poor mans mike peca is a little off base, and peca was a huge part of the oilers run also

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
I think Fehr was probably joking or nervous if he said, "I only score big goals." The context of the interview with Mink was probably after the big game and he was just giving props to Fehr. Everything I've heard about Fehr is that he is humble and a great character guy.
Hey I agree. I was just posting it due to its relevancy with his knack for coming up huge when needed. As a caps fan, I can say that his OT game 7 goal was probably one of the best this season for our whole organization

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Stanford always reminded me of Brian Rolston. I could see him having a similar career.

As for Fehr it's a little tougher. If I had to say someone I'd say Eric Daze in his prime or maybe a very very poor mans Mario Lemieux (just the skating and shooting style, stickhandling and passing aren't even a fair comparison).

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Fehr.

This guy is an absolute sniper. Back to back fifty goal seasons in the tough Dub junior loop is an impressive achievement. And just wait for this guy to grow into his body. If he plays at 220 - 225 pounds, Fehr will be a full load with elite size and silky hands.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
Fehr.

This guy is an absolute sniper. Back to back fifty goal seasons in the tough Dub junior loop is an impressive achievement. And just wait for this guy to grow into his body. If he plays at 220 - 225 pounds, Fehr will be a full load with elite size and silky hands.

but what is size worth when you dont play with an edge or physical ? if he added that element to his game he would be much more of a force

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
but what is size worth when you dont play with an edge or physical ? if he added that element to his game he would be much more of a force

From what I've seen of Fehr (which is probably twenty viewings), he's played ... that is, has tried to play a somewhat involved, physical game. However it was not very effective in junior while playing at 6'3" and 185 pounds. With his skill set and a mature, filled out frame Fehr will be a handful in the 'New NHL.'

JonathanWashington

Hockey in Cairo
Dec 26, 2004
Manhattan
well im not sure which player is better. but one thing is for sure im excited to see stafford on the sabres in a few years. i guess it all depends in a teams system with these players. i would like to think of diffrent players two compare these two with

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
safe players fall in drafts..........ask ryan white who many had pegged in the top 20 picks of the draft and went in the 3rd round........guys who have sniper ability rarely fall very far.

the only safe pick that i can remember being taken over a sniper recently is toews over kessel.......and that was only because there were outside questions about kessel, as well toews has offensive upside as well as being a safe player.

Ryan White fell because he's a future third or fourth line forward.

With the logic your using, tell me why Vasyunov, Schremp, O'Sullivan, Hudler, and McGrath did not go top 15 in their drafts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad