Staal, Zherdev or Horton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
J17ster said:
Who would you rather have in the long run?
I also would like to know your thoughts on Staal. What is his ceiling and was he the best foward available in the draft.

I think Zherdev has more scoring potential than Mr.Staal, but Staal was probably top 5 in every category in the 2003 draft(i.e. skating, vision, stickhandling, shot) and I personally think he has a much better chance of reaching his full potential than Zherdev. I'd put Zherdev ahead of Horton because of the injury troubles Horton has had. All three are sublime prospects though.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Staal without much second thought. Zherdev and Horton are a toss-up to me. Lots of upside for all three, just more risk for the other two compared to Staal IMO.

PigPen

Jun 25, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Staal. He's just so good at everything.

Zherdev could become a Kovalev type winger who scores close to or above a point per game.

Horton reminds me of a poor man's Jeff O'neil. Never been too high on any part of his game.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
PigPen said:
Staal. He's just so good at everything.

Zherdev could become a Kovalev type winger who scores close to or above a point per game.

Horton reminds me of a poor man's Jeff O'neil. Never been too high on any part of his game.
i think zherdev will end up being better than kovalev, so i would go with him.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
While Horton is the kind of guy you can build a team around, Zherdev is a much better choice amusement-wise. His performance at the 2003-04 YoungStars game was like a Cherry compilation every shift. Obviously, he needs to settle it down a bit, but he's guaranteed to excite the fans no matter the score. There's always going to be a nagging hope in the minds of Jackets fans when they watch him that he'll do something absolutely mind-blowing with the puck, and that goes a long way towards filling the seats.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I'd rank them: Zherdev, Staal, Horton. I think Horton will be a very solid core-type player, but the other 2 have star potential. I feel the same way about Bouwmeester and Pitkanen with the latter having star potential.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Buffaloed said:
I'd rank them: Zherdev, Staal, Horton. I think Horton will be a very solid core-type player, but the other 2 have star potential. I feel the same way about Bouwmeester and Pitkanen with the latter having star potential.

you think pitkanen has star potential, but that bouwmeester will only be a solid core-type player? maybe i'm understanding you wrong, but i feel it's the opposite.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
I'd take Stall first, he's so well-rounded. He's going to be an all around star. Zherdev will no doubt be an elite sniper, but it seems he will be a bit one-dimensional.

CanoeRider

Mar 15, 2004
Edmonton, Alberta
zherdev, horton, staal

like everyone else, i dont see staal as a big upgrade between these guyz. maybe he doesn't recieve enough fanfare, but he looks and seems like a quiet guy

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
neelynugs said:
you think pitkanen has star potential, but that bouwmeester will only be a solid core-type player? maybe i'm understanding you wrong, but i feel it's the opposite.

Pitkanen is much better offensively than Bouwmeester. The key for Pitkanen is staying healthy.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
neelynugs said:

You're not misunderstanding. We just don't agree. Only time, and the end of this stupid lockout will tell.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
Pitkanen is much better offensively than Bouwmeester. The key for Pitkanen is staying healthy.
I dunno. He was in his rookie year, bt then again, he was on Philly and got offensive chances as opposed to Bouwmeester who had little room to go be offensive with the horrible play the panthers had at the end of the year.

I think Bouwmeester longterm has better offensive potential. I see Pitkanen as a lesser version of Lidstrom. I see Bouwmeester as an about equal version to Paul Coffey, Bouwmeester turning out better in the longrun. IN the World Cup, he was fantastic. He skates the puck up better than Pitkanen by far, but Pitkanen has better puck skills in the offensive zone IMO. It will be close but I think Overall, JBO will be much better than Joni.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
John Flyers Fan said:

Buffaloed said:
You're not misunderstanding. We just don't agree. Only time, and the end of this stupid lockout will tell.

Put me in the camp that thinks Bouwmeester will be a star. But you are right, his offence is not Pitkanen's.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
PanthersRule said:
I dunno. He was in his rookie year, bt then again, he was on Philly and got offensive chances as opposed to Bouwmeester who had little room to go be offensive with the horrible play the panthers had at the end of the year.

I think Bouwmeester longterm has better offensive potential. I see Pitkanen as a lesser version of Lidstrom. I see Bouwmeester as an about equal version to Paul Coffey, Bouwmeester turning out better in the longrun. IN the World Cup, he was fantastic. He skates the puck up better than Pitkanen by far, but Pitkanen has better puck skills in the offensive zone IMO. It will be close but I think Overall, JBO will be much better than Joni.

JBo won't be in Paul Coffey's universe as an offensive player.

JBo is a better skater than Pitkanen, but closer than most would think. Pitkanen has a better shot and most importantly better vision and a better playmaker.

As to better talent surrounding him, yes Pitkanen has better talent, but the previous two seasons the Flyers PP ranked 28th and 21st. With no other additions other than Pitkanen, the Flyers PP ranked #1 all season, before slipping to #2 in the final week.

Also because Bouwmeester played on a weaker team, and doesn't have Ken Hitchcock as his coach he played 23 minutes a night, while Pitkanen played 16.5 minutes a night in Philly.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Lionel Hutz said:
Put me in the camp that thinks Bouwmeester will be a star. But you are right, his offence is not Pitkanen's.

I wasn't saying that Boumeester won't be a star, I think you'll see the two of them compete for Norris trophies in 5 years or so.

X0ssbar

Mr Bugg said:
While Horton is the kind of guy you can build a team around, Zherdev is a much better choice amusement-wise. His performance at the 2003-04 YoungStars game was like a Cherry compilation every shift. Obviously, he needs to settle it down a bit, but he's guaranteed to excite the fans no matter the score. There's always going to be a nagging hope in the minds of Jackets fans when they watch him that he'll do something absolutely mind-blowing with the puck, and that goes a long way towards filling the seats.

Excellent observation.

I've always said that right now Rick Nash brings new fans to Nationwide - Zherdev keeps them coming back.

Zherdev, Horton, Staal for me.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
This is a tough one for me since I'm a Jacket fan, but I have to say Staal. He's the most complete of the bunch. There is a reason why he was the first forward picked and he's done nothing to really change that in my opinion.

That said, I'm ecstatic with Zherdev. The guy is a show-stopper and the Jackets need scoring in the worst way (hopefully the franchise center will come along soon...)

None of this is meant as a knock on Horton either, who I still really like. With three guys this good, you look for excuses to downgrade one. For Horton, it's the injury bug. He's going to be a great one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad