Staal skating and speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sticky*

He isn't as flashy a skater as modano is, as Modano is a treat to watch and looks like he is dancing on the ice, but Staal definitely has similar type speed to Modano, but his is more deceptive as he has a very long stride, whereas Modano takes quicker steps.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Eric has deceptive speed. He might not seem like he's as fast as Modano but Staal seems to have a "more efficient" stride if that makes any sense.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Staal has the type of skating style that is going to make him one of the league's best once he gets a substantial amount of muscle on his frame. The only thing that Staal really needs work on is his starting speed, which will likely come with increased leg strength. Once he gets going though, his stride is smooth and effortless. He almost looks like he's floating when he gets really started up. I'd say in 3-4 years, Staal is going to be a lot more like Mike Modano than he is right now.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Caniacforever said:
Staal has the type of skating style that is going to make him one of the league's best once he gets a substantial amount of muscle on his frame. The only thing that Staal really needs work on is his starting speed, which will likely come with increased leg strength. Once he gets going though, his stride is smooth and effortless. He almost looks like he's floating when he gets really started up. I'd say in 3-4 years, Staal is going to be a lot more like Mike Modano than he is right now.

Agree with the above except that I'd say Modano has/had a real edge in lateral mobility/agility over Stall.

Biscuit Bullet

Feb 28, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
Modano is a fabulous skater, don't get me wrong, but his style of skating is extremely flashy, making him look even faster than he is. Whoever said that he looks like he's "dancing" on the ice is right. Staal doesn't seem to have the agile feet that Modano has, but is a very competent skater nonetheless.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
West said:
Agree with the above except that I'd say Modano has/had a real edge in lateral mobility/agility over Stall.
maybe so, but i dont think everyone remenbers what modano looked like when he first showed up in minny. it wasnt as pretty as it is now (or recent past). he worked on what was more raw ability and grew into his lanky frame. i think staal looks very similar to modano back when he was a rookie, and as cf said, will improve as he adds some muscle. he is all bone right now, and needs a couple of years to beef up. i think they will be pretty similar skaters when eventually comparing the two in their prime.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
What about Staal stickhandling? I have seen scouts gave Staal A+ in stickhandling and A to Zherdev. And I have seen Zherdev stickhandling, it is impressive, so I wonder is Staal really such a great stickhandler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad