Staal over Crosby???No Way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildone26*

I agree putting Crosby on the team right now would p$ss alot of people off and cause alot of dissent on the team. Everybody would know he in no way deserves a spot on the team, barring something incredable the next 10 days, and would be bumping a more worthy recepient because of the hype factor. There would be alot of bitterness and animosity that would not help the team. It would be a stupid and shameful choice by Wayne Grezxty and the brass, and my opinion of them would drop substantialy.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
wildone26 said:
I agree putting Crosby on the team right now would p$ss alot of people off and cause alot of dissent on the team. Everybody would know he in no way deserves a spot on the team, barring something incredable the next 10 days, and would be bumping a more worthy recepient because of the hype factor. There would be alot of bitterness and animosity that would not help the team. It would be a stupid and shameful choice by Wayne Grezxty and the brass, and my opinion of them would drop substantialy.

Just to be clear. Do you think players that have not played as well as he has since Oct 5 should be picked over him? If you think they are more worthy recipients then fine. But how does that make it stupid or shameful to pick him.

For example if St. Louis had played as well as Sid since the season opener he would be a lock for the team.
He hasn't but I wouldn't call it shameful or stupid if he was picked. It wouldn't be my choice but I would still admit it is a solid pick.

Anyone that gets picked for the team and feels any bitterness or animosity towards anyone else picked for the team simply shouldn't be there.

wildone26*

Crosbyfan said:
Just to be clear. Do you think players that have not played as well as he has since Oct 5 should be picked over him? If you think they are more worthy recipients then fine. But how does that make it stupid or shameful to pick him.

For example if St. Louis had played as well as Sid since the season opener he would be a lock for the team.
He hasn't but I wouldn't call it shameful or stupid if he was picked. It wouldn't be my choice but I would still admit it is a solid pick.

Anyone that gets picked for the team and feels any bitterness or animosity towards anyone else picked for the team simply shouldn't be there.

Players like Staal and Spezza have played better than Crosby since October 5th by a long shot, and they are more experienced to boot, and Spezza plays with Heatley in Ottawa to boot and would have chemistry with him, so yes I think it would be stupid of shameful to pick Crosby over either of them. St. Louis was the Hart and Art Ross winner back in 2003-04, you cant compare Crosby's situation to St. Louis's. I would have no problem with Crosby being put over the team over Bertuzzi or Doan, but lets face it those guys are virtual locks for the team, and there is no arguing it. So that is not who he would be compared to, and the players he would be compared to for a roster spot and people who he has not been better than in that span by any stretch.

Randall Graves*

Staal brings more to the table than Crosby at this stage...as an American I would gladly rather face Crosby over Staal...

Oilerfan120582

Jul 9, 2005
I'd like to see Spezza on the team in a prominent role, and I wouldn't mind seeing Crosby as the 13th forward even though I think Staal is the better player right now. He likely wouldn't play, but the experience would be great for him and in the case of an injury I think Crosby is more versatile than Staal and could play any offensive position, while also bringing a lot of energy to the team. This is assuming that they only put a maximum of 2/3 of these guys on the team. Personally, I'd like to see all three while leaving out guys like Bertuzzi and Draper.

Default101

it's all good i'd want Jason Spezza on team canada over Sidney Crosby... but i'd draft Crosby over Spezza any day Spezza has more experience, and is playing better right now

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
I think all three Spezza, Staal, Crosby should be there but we'll likely see Draper, Bertuzzi and St-Louis in their place...

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
i think they should send crosby to the world juniors, he will have plennty of opportunities to play in olympics, this year with the wj being in canada haveing the boost of crosby would really help. plus give the kid some time to hang out and have fun with kids his own age !!! instead of a bunch of 30 something grown men
let sid the kid be a kid .... at least for a coupe weeks. !!!!!

Mattio11

Aug 24, 2005
One knock on Spezza making the team, is the terrible give-aways this guy makes. A couple times a game he will try some behind the back pass and give it right to the other team. If he makes it, it will be on the fourth line behind Sakic, Thornton and Vinny. You cant have a 4th line as defensive liable as Spezza is. And before ppl start bringing up his plus minus stat, yes i know its good, but thats mostly due to ottawa destroying teams game in and game out. And not a sign of his defensive awareness which is below average.

wildone26*

I honestly think of the three-Staal, Crosby, and Spezza Staal is the most well rounded of the three. His defensive play is better than either Crosby or Spezza who are both suspect defenisively. If it were not for the hype surrounding Spezza and Crosby he would make the team.

Default101

dannoabram said:
i think they should send crosby to the world juniors, he will have plennty of opportunities to play in olympics, this year with the wj being in canada haveing the boost of crosby would really help. plus give the kid some time to hang out and have fun with kids his own age !!! instead of a bunch of 30 something grown men
let sid the kid be a kid .... at least for a coupe weeks. !!!!!

won't happen he's the best player on an NHL team :P

wildone26*

Ry-Dogg said:
won't happen he's the best player on an NHL team :P

A very weak NHL team. On Ottawa he wouldnt even be one of the 4 best players.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
wildone26 said:
A very weak NHL team. On Ottawa he wouldnt even be one of the 4 best players.

I'm not so sure of that.

Personally - and as a Sens fan I might add - I don't think Spezza should make the team. He is incredibly talented, but is still a work in progress and does make some very questionable giveaways each and every game. I love the guy and he is a great player and an integral part of our first line, but I'm not so sure Crosby wouldn't have close to 40 points playing with Alfredsson and Heatley. Staal as well.

If a hole opens on a scoring line and team Canada brass think they need some creativity and playmaking, then Spezza is probably the guy ahead of Staal and Crosby. He will make goal scorers around him better.

But the scoring lines are set for the most part. They are trying to figure out who should play maybe 8-10 minutes a game on the 4th line and provide depth. Spezza is not the guy for that. If I had to bet, he'd try to impress too much when he is on the ice and get a little too fancy. Behind the back passes shouldn't happen on the 4th line and that isn't what Team Canada is looking for.

Staal, and even Crosby, will be better energy players on a 4th line. Either would be a good choice.

espo*

Dr.Sens(e) said:
I'm not so sure of that.

Personally - and as a Sens fan I might add - I don't think Spezza should make the team. He is incredibly talented, but is still a work in progress and does make some very questionable giveaways each and every game. I love the guy and he is a great player and an integral part of our first line, but I'm not so sure Crosby wouldn't have close to 40 points playing with Alfredsson and Heatley. Staal as well.

If a hole opens on a scoring line and team Canada brass think they need some creativity and playmaking, then Spezza is probably the guy ahead of Staal and Crosby. He will make goal scorers around him better.

But the scoring lines are set for the most part. They are trying to figure out who should play maybe 8-10 minutes a game on the 4th line and provide depth. Spezza is not the guy for that. If I had to bet, he'd try to impress too much when he is on the ice and get a little too fancy. Behind the back passes shouldn't happen on the 4th line and that isn't what Team Canada is looking for.

Staal, and even Crosby, will be better energy players on a 4th line. Either would be a good choice.
Good post,i agree with this.If he's gonna be a front line player he makes sense,as a 3rd or 4th line role guy....................he does'nt.

JoeLH

Oct 15, 2003
Visit site
Crosby is overrated ... not too much, but a little bit ... and YES, i know that he is only 18 yrs. old ...

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
JoeLH said:
Crosby is overrated ... not too much, but a little bit ... and YES, i know that he is only 18 yrs. old ...

Here is my take on our team

Guys that have to be there
Heatley Iginla Lecavalier Marleau Richards Sakic Thornton Gagne

Too that mix you need a great role player......my pick Smyth (he wont hurt you with his defence and certainly can pop a few also)

That makes 3 lines> Whats left?
Tanguay St Louis Doan Draper( awesome pk and faceoffs) Morrow( Mr energy)
and Bertuzzi ( I wouldnt consider him this time )

Then we have the kids Spezza Staal and Crosby

I honestly dont think Crosby should go and before you all jump all over me he will have plenty of opportunities in the future. As mentioned Spezza is not a 4th line player but would do awesome with Heatley. My pick would be Staal out of the three for his overall game and size. That said they are all in tough to crack this very impressive rostor. No matter Gretz is not going to please everybody.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Personally, if you're looking for scoring, Spezza is your man. If you're looking for a 4th line grind type with size, that's Staal. I just don't see a way Crosby fits in with all the depth Canada has.

I do hope Staal makes it, since it'll be very interesting to see Erik Cole and Eric Staal on opposite sides.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I am not anti-Crosby, but I think that Staal has been a much better player this year. Staal is a force on an offensively mediocre team. I also like Spezza, but I don't get to watch Senators games, so I can't really comment on his play, other than what I see in the boxscore.

espo*

Pantokrator said:
I am not anti-Crosby, but I think that Staal has been a much better player this year. Staal is a force on an offensively mediocre team. I also like Spezza, but I don't get to watch Senators games, so I can't really comment on his play, other than what I see in the boxscore.
Well,you could also say Crosby's been a force on a below mediocore team,pittsburgh stinks,the names they have mean nothing.I've watched several games this year and many of these so called stars(Gonchar for example) have stunk big time...............he's get's little support.Leclair oughta retire........he's done like dirt.
Hey,i think Staal might be the better choice too but Crosby is tough to ignore,he has a sixth sense of where guys are and put him with great players(like team Canada) and he's all the better.he's tough to leave off,so is Staal.Very tough to choose between him,Staal and Spetz.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
ferns8916 said:
There is absolutely NO CHANCE IN HELL that Crosby will be playing in the World Juniors.

Why not? Pittsburgh will be mathematically eliminated by then.

Yeah, theres no chance....but they're not making the playoffs anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->