Staal Defenseman of the Tourny!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
If I had to pick a Dman for my team based on the way the guys played in this tourney, I'd pick:

1. Jack Johnson
2. Cam Barker
3. Erik Johnson
4. Ryan Parent

5. Emelin
6. Marc Staal

Wasn't really impressed with Bourdon's defensive game. Do the 'Nucks need another top pairing Dman who can't play defense?

espo*

He was great from first to last game.Deserved it all the way.

He was just a rock out there,a smart rock.

Skroob*

H N I C said:
Congratz to Staal. Man next yr if these guys arn't playing in the NHL, this team can have Bourdon, Staal, Parent back next yr. :eek:

Staal almost made the Rangers this year. Next year, he just might stick (perhaps even in the top 4 rotation)

espo*

monster_bertuzzi said:
LoL@the notion that Bourdon is ''bad'' defensively.
Agreed,he was really good out there on d for most of the tourney.I was a little worried about him after the first few games but by the U.S game he was oustanding,i wanted him on the ice every 2nd shift,he was great.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
cyclops said:
Agreed,he was really good out there on d for most of the tourney.I was a little worried about him after the first few games but by the U.S game he was oustanding,i wanted him on the ice every 2nd shift,he was great.

The thing is, you don't know how good he is until you're at the games live. :yo: And that goes for pretty much all the players - I didn't realise how good Tukonen was either until I saw him live.

espo*

monster_bertuzzi said:
The thing is, you don't know how good he is until you're at the games live. :yo: And that goes for pretty much all the players - I didn't realise how good Tukonen was either until I saw him live.
No doubt. Bourdon ended up being a rock from the U.S game on.He was great with the puck,was flattening players left and right and playing super man to man defense and commuincating as a unit with his partner very well.What can i say? Vancouver has a real good one if they weed him in properly.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Wetcoaster said:
We will have to wait and see how Bourdon handles the pace at the NHL level. Last pre-season as the pace picked up in his last few exhibition games Bourdon looked much less ready. Sending him back to junior and letting him play in the WJC was the best thing for him.

There have been many highly touted junior defenceman who did not make the jump or took a long time to develop (on the Canucks see Allen, Baumgartner and McCarthy).

One thing that may help Bourdon is his recent trade to Moncton where he will be coached by Ted Nolan. Also he gets to play in the Memorial Cup with Moncton as the host team.

He looks like a blue-chipper but particularly with D-men you just never know.

Allen has turned out Solid #3 this season, and did you forget Ohlund already? And since when did we bring up Baumgartner? He was a bust before he came here as an AHL pick up. Please come again.

Bourdon's play didn't tail off in pre season okay so please stop trolling. And exactly whose to say that Staal wont turn out to be like Baumer? This Bourdon hating is getting out of hand.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Russian_fanatic said:
Allen has turned out Solid #3 this season, and did you forget Ohlund already? And since when did we bring up Baumgartner? He was a bust before he came here as an AHL pick up. Please come again.

Bourdon's play didn't tail off in pre season okay so please stop trolling. And exactly whose to say that Staal wont turn out to be like Baumer? This Bourdon hating is getting out of hand.
I think you need to read Wetcoaster's, who I believe is a Canucks fan, post again.

time

Feb 26, 2005
shveik said:
If I had to pick a Dman for my team based on the way the guys played in this tourney, I'd pick:

1. Jack Johnson
2. Cam Barker
3. Erik Johnson
4. Ryan Parent

5. Emelin
6. Marc Staal

Wasn't really impressed with Bourdon's defensive game. Do the 'Nucks need another top pairing Dman who can't play defense?

JJ was -4 for the tourney. He got on the all-star team because of past accomplishments. I'm surprised Emelin isn't being promoted by more people.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
shveik said:
Don't make posts if you have no idea what you are talking about.. Our top pairing this year has been rock solid, Ohlund and Salo. They have faltered a bit because of playing apart with minor league d-men because of our poor defensive depth. Jovanovski is average defensively, but makes many bad reads. Don't know what you mean't here, as our top pairing is very reliable. Don't always go on stats, as Ohlund and Salo have been playing 26+ minutes a game with partners like Bieksa and McCarthy.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Russian_fanatic said:
I'm a Canucks fan too...
ok, I just got the impression that you thought Wetcoaster was Bourdon hating (which he wasn't) because he's a Staal fan

and I think you missed most of the points in his post as well

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
I was able to watch 10 games in person from December 29 on and I would say the best defensemen were Parent, Staal, Bourdon, Emelin, Jack Johnson... Barker did not impress me all that much and in my mind he and Russell were the weakest defensive pairing defensively.

Chuck28

Jan 3, 2006
Staal's just doing more of the same that he's been doing the last few seasons here in Sudbury. You think he was a rock in this tournament, you should see him in the OHL, it's ridiculous, you can't beat the guy.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
jtuzzi said:
Don't make posts if you have no idea what you are talking about.. Our top pairing this year has been rock solid, Ohlund and Salo. They have faltered a bit because of playing apart with minor league d-men because of our poor defensive depth. Jovanovski is average defensively, but makes many bad reads. Don't know what you mean't here, as our top pairing is very reliable. Don't always go on stats, as Ohlund and Salo have been playing 26+ minutes a game with partners like Bieksa and McCarthy.

I am sorry, I apparently do not know what I am talking about, because I meant Jovo, not Ohlund or Salo. :bow: Ohlund

Wetcoaster

Russian_fanatic said:

I suggest that you re-read what I wrote.

I referred to Allen, Baumgartner and McCarthy as highly touted juniors and designated blue-chippers who did not make an immediate impact in the NHL.

Bryan Allen is not a "Solid #3" on the Canucks. He is the #4 and has played adequately in patches but has had some bad games and has looked out of place particularly when his minutes have increased due to injuries to the top three of Salo, Ohlund and Jovanovski.

Bourdon's play did tail off as the pre-season went along and the pace began to pick up. Which is not surprising since he was newly drafted and 18 years of age. Very few D-men ever make the jump directly from the draft to the NHL. Playing defence in the NHL at 18 is much more difficult than breaking in as an 18 year old forward and that is rare as well.

And where did I mention anything about Staal????

ilovekylechipchura

Jan 7, 2006
Toronto
i think that all 6 defensemen did a great job this tourney. Only 6 goals against with only 1 coming on 5 on 5. Overall solid defense by Canada. Staal and Parent did great together and i think they brought the best out in each other. Great job guyss :clap: Congrats Marcc :clap: :clap: :clap:

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Wetcoaster said:
I referred to Allen, Baumgartner and McCarthy as highly touted juniors and designated blue-chippers who did not make an immediate impact in the NHL.

Don't forget - Allen had a serious knee injury when he was 19, the age he was expected to make the Canucks full time. His development curve no doubt was hampered.

Baumgartner and McCarthy, yeah - they're not as good as where they were drafted suggested they would be.

Wetcoaster

monster_bertuzzi said:
Don't forget - Allen had a serious knee injury when he was 19, the age he was expected to make the Canucks full time. His development curve no doubt was hampered.

Baumgartner and McCarthy, yeah - they're not as good as where they were drafted suggested they would be.
IIRC it was shoulder injuries that Bryan Allen suffered.

However that is my point - it is difficult to predict how fast a player, particulalrly a D-man will develop. Any number of factors come into play from slow development, inability to adapt to the NHL pace, injury to personal issues which will impact when or if a player makes it in the NHL. There are few generational talents (as HF refers to them) where there is little doubt such as Orr, Gretzky or Lemieux and possibly Crosby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->