Post-Game Talk (GBU): St Patrick's Day is Green, not Blue

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
O SoG and a -1 Sobotka got his revenge alright!

<snip>

Ugly:
- 2nd STL goal. WOOF.

the WTFUgly:
Sobotka on the 1st Blues goal. Maroon skates behind the Sabres goal, reverses the puck, leaving 2 Sabres on the ice, whom Sobotka saw as he was closing to the crease from the corner where the puck battle was a few seconds ago. Maroon emerges from behind the net, uncovered, undefended, with no Sabre pursuing him, and Sobotka looks directly at Maroon and backs up from the crease toward the slot in order to prevent a potential pass to an on-rushing winger.

If I were Hutton I would have 2-handed chopped Sobotka's ankles.

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
the WTFUgly:
Sobotka on the 1st Blues goal. Maroon skates behind the Sabres goal, reverses the puck, leaving 2 Sabres on the ice, whom Sobotka saw as he was closing to the crease from the corner where the puck battle was a few seconds ago. Maroon emerges from behind the net, uncovered, undefended, with no Sabre pursuing him, and Sobotka looks directly at Maroon and backs up from the crease toward the slot in order to prevent a potential pass to an on-rushing winger.

If I were Hutton I would have 2-handed chopped Sobotka's ankles.
It tells more about the system - man coverage in the d-zone - than about Sobota.
Happens all the time.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It isn't the first time Skinner has had no or next to no ice time in OT under Phil. That wasn't new, that's just expected at this point.

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
It isn't the first time Skinner has had no or next to no ice time in OT under Phil. That wasn't new, that's just expected at this point.
gonna get him on the cheap :sarcasm:, we don't need him getting any more GWG.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
happy the arena boo'd ror during the shootout
The arena was pleasantly organic and jovial yesterday, I credit the holiday.

ROR got the polite applause early on, and we booed everyone come shootout time, and amped it up for him.

The hitting sequence at the end was a lot of fun too.

You wouldn't guess that we are going to the playoffs from that crowd, but you wouldn't guess that we had just endured the four months we've endured either.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
The Thompson-Mittelstadt-Sobotka line sums up all the inactivity and missmanagement of the team by Botterill this season.
Good development showcase!

Nylander looked really good on the other hand.
Guys like Sobotka and Pominville should be off the roster/team next year to make room.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Nylander belongs where Sam is. He is an exact match, he has speed, knows where Jack is going and has high end vision and iq to keep up with Jack and Jeff.

Move Sam to the second line and let him drive it with mitts and Sheary.

Reactions: dasaybz

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How did Bogo get a star over Nylander

That one four on four goal where he was checking no one, he must’ve run up to the press box to persuade someone into making a star of the game. It all makes sense now.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Not arguing with you but I suggest this may be a covert example of politics in sports or within a team.

Skinner might actually be seen by Housley as more of a liability in a 3 on 3 based on his recent play than Erod or even Sheary - both who played well today.

So does a coach decide to play Skinner and possibly lose the game (because Skinner might get mad and not want to sign with the Sabres if he's left on the bench - besides Skinner and D coverage is not a marriage made in heaven)?

Or go with a couple of guys who are more on their game today than Jeff has been.

I will acknowledge that Sheary as part of the 3 on 3 actually justified his presence there today - for maybe the 1st time this year - because he was a dangerous commodity on the ice.

On the other hand Housley is no paragon of objectivity (vs favoritism) when it comes to ice time and roster activations.

Just trying to look at the situation with Skinner as objectively as I can.

I'd prefer he sign with the Sabres too. But if his ego is so big that this pisses him off, then he'd be showing himself to be a prima donna.

(Skinner's done nothing I can see to characterize himself as one of those however...)
Skinner has 37 goals. Get him on the ice and try to win the damn game. I understand what you are saying but keeping him on the bench is just dumb.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Skinner has 37 goals. Get him on the ice and try to win the damn game. I understand what you are saying but keeping him on the bench is just dumb.

If they’re gonna put a Jack with Connor time after time after time after time for the first shift of overtime, why not put out Jeff and Sam as the second shift? I don’t understand keeping someone who is in contention to be the leading goal scorer in the league off the ice in a score and go home situation.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
If they’re gonna put a Jack with Connor time after time after time after time for the first shift of overtime, why not put out Jeff and Sam as the second shift? I don’t understand keeping someone who is in contention to be the leading goal scorer in the league off the ice in a score and go home situation.

Phil likes to play “not to lose” instead of “playing to win”. He’d rather throw Sobotka out there in an attempt to kill time rather than put Skinner out there and go for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad