OT: St. Patrick's Day in Toronto

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
So I am actually moving downtown tomorrow (quite excited), and need some recommendations on good places to go on St. Patrick's Day with some friends. Obviously looking to drink, and hoping to start in the late morning. I'm only 22, so ideally looking for somewhere that is good for people in that age category. I don't know if a student bar would be best, but I'd be willing to try that even though I'm no longer a student.

Thanks for the advice.

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
So I am actually moving downtown tomorrow (quite excited), and need some recommendations on good places to go on St. Patrick's Day with some friends. Obviously looking to drink, and hoping to start in the late morning. I'm only 22, so ideally looking for somewhere that is good for people in that age category. I don't know if a student bar would be best, but I'd be willing to try that even though I'm no longer a student.

Thanks for the advice.

ST PARTYS DAY!!!

http://www.stpartysday.com/

You Like Boyce

Mar 7, 2011
Not a big fan of Graceys. It was great when it first opened but has gone down hill in the last few years. The last few times I've been there the bar line has been 3 or 4 people deep and they over fill the place. You're cramped in there like sardines. Not to mention paying through the nose for cover, not for me but if you're heading there I would say arrive early.

I think most places downtown will be packed due to it being on a Sunday, especially anything with an Irish name. I'm going to be down there because I'm marching in the parade but I'll probably go a little further north to do some bar hopping. I'm thinking Yonge and Eg or Bloor West.

Happy St Paddys day to all!!

Paddy not Patty - remember that!

Communal Blood

Jun 1, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Not a big fan of Graceys. It was great when it first opened but has gone down hill in the last few years. The last few times I've been there the bar line has been 3 or 4 people deep and they over fill the place. You're cramped in there like sardines. Not to mention paying through the nose for cover, not for me but if you're heading there I would say arrive early.

I think most places downtown will be packed due to it being on a Sunday, especially anything with an Irish name. I'm going to be down there because I'm marching in the parade but I'll probably go a little further north to do some bar hopping. I'm thinking Yonge and Eg or Bloor West.

Happy St Paddys day to all!!

Paddy not Patty - remember that!

:handclap:

Thank you. As a Canadian of Irish descent, "St. Patty's Day" is annoying.

http://paddynotpatty.com/ :D

Apr 1, 2010
:handclap:

Thank you. As a Canadian of Irish descent, "St. Patty's Day" is annoying.

http://paddynotpatty.com/ :D

And since the guy's name was PATrick not Padraig using D's instead of T's just reinforces the illiterate Irish stereotype.

:shakehead

The English language has a ton of stupid rules,(like how do you get Dick from Richard?) and this is just another on the long list.

Communal Blood

Jun 1, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
And since the guy's name was PATrick not Padraig using D's instead of T's just reinforces the illiterate Irish stereotype.

The English language has a ton of stupid rules,(like how do you get Dick from Richard?) and this is just another on the long list.

Considering Pádraig is Irish for Patrick, it's perfectly acceptable for 'Paddy'. He's the Patron Saint of Ireland; it's an Irish holiday so of course we find St. Patty insulting.

Patty is just insinuating that he was a girl. Also, what 'illiterate Irish stereotype' are you referring too? Because we have our own language and the nickname of our saint is in Irish?

Deal with it

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Because it's not based on English "rrules" per se. it's a culturalistic thing. EVERY language has them.

When the Normans invaded England in 1066 they transformed not only politics, religion, society and language, but names as well. They brought their large stock of Germanic names, only Frenchified, reflecting their language.

The native Anglo-Saxons (now the lower classes) faced with an unfamiliar language and strange pronucnations. Often, they were uncomfortable with the Norman “R” found in names like Richard, Roger, and Robert, and Henry/Harry.

Another factor to consider is that most diminutives are coined when speaking to children, or when children are addressing one another. Sounds that many English-speaking children have trouble pronouncing the letter “R” as well as other sounds. The name Ouida, for example, came about a mispronunciation of the name Louisa. In names, the sounds of R is often switched for an L or a D. Often times it is dropped altogether.
Other times, a middle “r” would be swapped for an “l” or a “d”. R’s at the beginning of names fared little better, often being replaced with “Ds,” “Hs,” or even “Ns.” Robert gave up the nicknames Rob, but also Dob, Hob, Nob, and later, Bob. And Richard gave up the nicknames Rick, but also Dick and Hick, while Roger clocks in with Rodge, Dodge and Hodge.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Buy him dinner first.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Phil the Thrill was at St.Partys day on Sunday. No green clothing, just a UA hoodie. Friends got pictures with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad