St. Patrick trade...10 years to the day

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hasbro said:
You'll forgive me for having a different perspective on the matter.

I do. Getting Mike Keane? HABS GOT FLEECED

NewGuy

Jun 29, 2002
Hasbro said:
How the Habs didn't demand Deadmarsh as part of the deal is beyond me.
a) It might have interfered with Rejean Houle's plan to demolish the team.

OR

b) Rejean Houle was way over his head as the GM of any hockey team nevermind an NHL team.

+73*

what do Rejean Houle and a vacuum cleaner have in common?

neither work(ed) well in the corners! :innocent:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
What's the "original" Roy trade (thought by Serge Savard) was?

I've red somewhere it was something like
-Nolan
-Deadmarsh
-Fiset
-1st Pick.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
He proved his critics wrong after this deal.

Greatest goalie of all time. :clap:

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
PatrickRoy said:
Like stated greatest goalie of all time.
The Habs haven't been the same since. Took them about 8 yrs to recover from that one. :shakehead
Hey Patrick :) :clap:
Nice of you to drop in on this anniversary

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
This game clearly marked the beginning of the end for Mario Tremblay. Leaving him in against the Red Wings when both he and the team in front of him were playing like crap was a bad decision, as were his words about how the Habs were better off without Roy.

Thibault went on to prove that year in the playoffs that he was a mediocre goalie, and Houle and Tremblay finished the implosion of the team shortly thereafter.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
This game and trade cost the Wings at least one, probably two Stanley Cups. I wish Scotty had told the boys to purposely let up after this started getting out of hand.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I still remember hearing about people in Denver calling into the sports talk shows and asking who the hell this guy was from Montreal that wanted his last name pronounced "Wah" instead of "Roy".

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
All I can say is... Time goes fast... sheesh...

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Irish Blues said:
I still remember hearing about people in Denver calling into the sports talk shows and asking who the hell this guy was from Montreal that wanted his last name pronounced "Wah" instead of "Roy".
I think they know him now! :D

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Irish Blues said:

Speaking as someone who religiously listened to KKFN at the time of the trade, I don't remember that happening at all. Personally, I think it's a myth.

I do remember John Elway joking about this, and that's a pretty easy soundclip to find.

KOVALEV10*

Well he was playing pretty bad at the time after the 93 cup run. It had to be done. But Houle is still an idiot because he didn't get anybody good from the avs. :shakehead

justsomeguy

Sep 2, 2004
Y'now, I watched the game leading to the departure but don't remember a single goal or Roy acknowledging the jeers.

Do remember seeing him promenade behind the bench and speak to Mr. Corey and the look in Mario Tremblay's eyes at the time. If not for the thousands of witnesses I think Tremblay would have throttled him on the spot.

Media here in Montreal made a big deal of it this week. All the talk shows, special sections in the newspapers. Sort of sad, really that this is an event that fans choose to commemorate.

Not quite as pathetic as the Leafs fans' annual celebration of their last Cup victory but it's uncomfortably close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->