Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
poeman said:
will the rangers trade montoya

they need a 1st line center so bad

i guess we are 21st pick and montoya for a a 1st line cente rin draft

It won't cost a 1st round pick AND Montoya to move up that far in the draft. Montoya is developing solidly and was pretty awesome this year in Hartford. To move into the top 6 it should cost ONLY him.

LA Blue

Sep 24, 2003
Los Angeles
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Has Kelly Chase ever seen Phil Kessel? I sincerely doubt it.

Is Kelly Chase in a position to talk to scouts and other people within the league who evaluate talent and probably know more than you do about Phil Kessel? Yep.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
A take from a St. Louis columnist:

Now that they've won the lottery, what will Blues do with the prize?

BY JEFF GORDON
STLTODAY.COM SPORTS COLUMNIST
04/20/2006

Start the party! The Blues won the NHL Draft lottery and got the first overall pick.

This would have been better last year -- when superstar Sidney Crosby was available –- but perhaps it IS an omen of better things to come. As Blues fans know, this franchise hasn’t caught many breaks from the league during the last 20 years or so.

So Dave Checketts should see this as a good sign. His hockey people (whomever they will be) will likely pick between explosive collegiate scorer Phil Kessel and Erik Johnson, a Chris Pronger wannabe on defense.

Which way will the Blues go? Kessel seems like the logical pick, but let’s look at the factors:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sp...A8D5E70BC2A602A48625715600605F79?OpenDocument

AgentNaslund*

Phil Kessel is number 1.

St.Louis Blues Defence is pretty young and good right now, they lack fire power up front, Phil Kessel, will bring excitement to the fans, and put fans in the seats of St.Louis.

Phil Kessel. I be shocked if they go for Johnson.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
AgentNaslund said:
Phil Kessel is number 1.

St.Louis Blues Defence is pretty young and good right now, they lack fire power up front, Phil Kessel, will bring excitement to the fans, and put fans in the seats of St.Louis.

Phil Kessel. I be shocked if they go for Johnson.

I don't think they will pass Johnson up. While Kessel may have the more flash, I think Blues fans all know the value of what a guy like Pronger can do.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
AgentNaslund said:
Backman and Brewer can be UFA after '07, Jackman and Salvador after '08. After that, we've got Wideman (nice player, but ideally a 3/4 guy), Walker (5/6 strictly), and Woywitka (jury's out here, could be 3/4 or a marginal 5/6).

In the system, we have Scott Jackson (nice player, but probably 3/4), Doug Lynch (jury's out, definitely NOT 1/2), Trevor Byrne (marginal 5/6), Tomas Mojzis (jury's out, definitely NOT 1/2), Mike Stuart (5/6), Roman Polak (in CZE, reportedly a 3/4 guy), Nikita Nikitin (people swear he's good, but 3/4 good - I'm not seeing that in him right now), Robin Jonsson (in SWE, 5/6 by most accounts), .... you get the picture. We've got a lot of depth guys on defense and a few that could be 3/4 defensemen, but no one that you'd call a 1/2 guy and will definitely be here in 3 years.

We'll get fans back into the seats just with the ownership change. We'll get more if everyone gets clued in on what the plans are for the franchise both in '06-07 and going forward - something everyone had to guess about for the last few years because there was no apparent plan. We've also got scoring depth at forward coming with Oshie, Soderberg, and Backes, plus guys like Aaltonen, Alexandrov, Birner, Lemtyugov, and Shkotov (if he comes back) that can fill in around the first three guys. Plus, we've seen that Stempniak can score, Glumac is servicable on the 3rd/4th lines, and McClement is going to stick as a #3/4 center.

Forward depth and scoring isn't our biggest need long-term. Defense is. So if we're talking about drafting based on need, we need Johnson like crops need rain.

heygarebear

Blues
Feb 28, 2002
STL - Nashville
Irish Blues said:
Backman and Brewer can be UFA after '07, Jackman and Salvador after '08. After that, we've got Wideman (nice player, but ideally a 3/4 guy), Walker (5/6 strictly), and Woywitka (jury's out here, could be 3/4 or a marginal 5/6).

In the system, we have Scott Jackson (nice player, but probably 3/4), Doug Lynch (jury's out, definitely NOT 1/2), Trevor Byrne (marginal 5/6), Tomas Mojzis (jury's out, definitely NOT 1/2), Mike Stuart (5/6), Roman Polak (in CZE, reportedly a 3/4 guy), Nikita Nikitin (people swear he's good, but 3/4 good - I'm not seeing that in him right now), Robin Jonsson (in SWE, 5/6 by most accounts), .... you get the picture. We've got a lot of depth guys on defense and a few that could be 3/4 defensemen, but no one that you'd call a 1/2 guy and will definitely be here in 3 years.

We'll get fans back into the seats just with the ownership change. We'll get more if everyone gets clued in on what the plans are for the franchise both in '06-07 and going forward - something everyone had to guess about for the last few years because there was no apparent plan. We've also got scoring depth at forward coming with Oshie, Soderberg, and Backes, plus guys like Aaltonen, Alexandrov, Birner, Lemtyugov, and Shkotov (if he comes back) that can fill in around the first three guys. Plus, we've seen that Stempniak can score, Glumac is servicable on the 3rd/4th lines, and McClement is going to stick as a #3/4 center.

Forward depth and scoring isn't our biggest need long-term. Defense is. So if we're talking about drafting based on need, we need Johnson like crops need rain.
Thank you Irish!!! someone finally understands this! we need defenseman (Johnson) more than we need a forward

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
LA Blue said:
Is Kelly Chase in a position to talk to scouts and other people within the league who evaluate talent and probably know more than you do about Phil Kessel? Yep.

You don't know much about Kelly Chase do you? Trust me, I know much more about Phil Kessel than he does, and I sincerely doubt he has been in touch with any scouts other than the Blues.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jaded-Fan said:
A take from a St. Louis columnist:

Now that they've won the lottery, what will Blues do with the prize?

BY JEFF GORDON
STLTODAY.COM SPORTS COLUMNIST
04/20/2006

Start the party! The Blues won the NHL Draft lottery and got the first overall pick.

This would have been better last year -- when superstar Sidney Crosby was available –- but perhaps it IS an omen of better things to come. As Blues fans know, this franchise hasn’t caught many breaks from the league during the last 20 years or so.

So Dave Checketts should see this as a good sign. His hockey people (whomever they will be) will likely pick between explosive collegiate scorer Phil Kessel and Erik Johnson, a Chris Pronger wannabe on defense.

Which way will the Blues go? Kessel seems like the logical pick, but let’s look at the factors:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sp...A8D5E70BC2A602A48625715600605F79?OpenDocument

That was actually a pretty good article from Gordon (who I typically like). He seems to have covered all the bases. I can see the Blues eyeing a few differant players (and draft possibilities) but IMO Johnson is the guy.

Tinordi24*

BleedBlue44 said:
Thank you Irish!!! someone finally understands this! we need defenseman (Johnson) more than we need a forward

I wish more Caps fans understood this elementary concept...build form D on out.

We have Ovechkin with Semin and Fehr in the wings and caps fans STILL think forwards are our #1 need. We have no 1st pairing dmen in our prospect pool and no hope of signing on via FA.

:shakehead

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Tinordi24 said:
I wish more Caps fans understood this elementary concept...build form D on out.

We have Ovechkin with Semin and Fehr in the wings and caps fans STILL think forwards are our #1 need. We have no 1st pairing dmen in our prospect pool and no hope of signing on via FA.

:shakehead

I agree totally on that assesment of the Caps. And I think that you have a couple more lottery picks to fill some of those holes in the near future. That is no slam on you all, but just what I have seen. You all are where my Pens were about 3 years ago. A very good SI article on you and the other non-playoff teams from today says just that, the on defense you need to totally rebuiuld:

Washington Capitals

Half full: When your lineup boasts Alexander Ovechkin, the most explosive and entertaining scorer the league has seen since Mario Lemieux, it's pretty easy to be giddy about the future. Alexander Semin, the highly skilled running mate Ovechkin lacked this season, recently signed a two-year deal. Shaone Morrisonn, stolen from the Bruins in the 2004 Sergei Gonchar deal, made huge strides late in the season and looks like a guy who'll be part of the Caps' top pairing for the next decade. A high pick this summer should land an impact player. And, hey, the chance to play with Ovechkin could make Washington an intriguing option for a free agent

Half empty: What you saw this season in Washington is pretty much what you get: Outside of Mike Green and Jakub Klepis, there's not much to get excited about down on the farm. And right now, Ovechkin is the team. The Caps are one prolonged rehab period away from competing for the Calder Cup.

The level-headed observer says: Caps fans may want to take solace in the fact that the team won four of its last five games while holding opponents to just one goal in three of those wins, but they shouldn't. Things won't improve much next season. Beyond Morrisonn, the team is in a shambles behind the blue line. Washington gave up the most shots and the second-most goals. Unless Zdeno Chara, Wade Redden and Nick Lidstrom sign up over the summer, there's likely to be a repeat in 2006-07. It's a slow process to rebuild after hitting rock bottom, and the Caps only now are taking the first tentative strides back to respectability. But as long as Ovechkin's on the ice, there will always be a reason to show up at the MCI Center.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/allan_muir/04/19/nonplayoff.teams/1.html

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
Irish Blues said:

Perfect analysis. EJ is the choice that makes the most sense. Not to mention, it's a lot more common to find a very good scoring forward in lower rounds than it is to find a 6'4 220+ pound potential franchise dman. Who knows, we may already have the talented winger we need amongst our prospects already.

But yea, go with Erik Johnson.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Rabid Ranger said:
You don't know much about Kelly Chase do you? Trust me, I know much more about Phil Kessel than he does, and I sincerely doubt he has been in touch with any scouts other than the Blues.

RR, your assessments have been pretty good in the past, and I respect your opinion, but I'm having a hard time believing that you know more about Phil Kessel than an NHL alumnus and broadcaster with contacts all over North America...

Kessel's a fine offensive player, and would be a good pick for the Blues at first overall, but as others have pointed out in this thread, Johnson fills an organizational need, and he is the consensus first-overall pick. The only way I could see the Blues drafting anyone other than Johnson would be if they traded down, and got a quality young defenseman with first-pairing ability in the bargain. Whitney or Orpik and the Pens' pick in exchange for the Blues pick, as an example.

I don't expect the Blues to draft Johnson with the idea of him coming right to St. Louis and playing next year, but I do expect them to draft him with the idea of building the next Scott Stevens after we got screwed out of the original a decade ago...

P_B

:bow: :blues

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Prussian_Blue said:
RR, your assessments have been pretty good in the past, and I respect your opinion, but I'm having a hard time believing that you know more about Phil Kessel than an NHL alumnus and broadcaster with contacts all over North America...

Kessel's a fine offensive player, and would be a good pick for the Blues at first overall, but as others have pointed out in this thread, Johnson fills an organizational need, and he is the consensus first-overall pick. The only way I could see the Blues drafting anyone other than Johnson would be if they traded down, and got a quality young defenseman with first-pairing ability in the bargain. Whitney or Orpik and the Pens' pick in exchange for the Blues pick, as an example.

I don't expect the Blues to draft Johnson with the idea of him coming right to St. Louis and playing next year, but I do expect them to draft him with the idea of building the next Scott Stevens after we got screwed out of the original a decade ago...

P_B

:eek:

I like you as a poster and a Mod here. But don't hold your breath on that one PB.

Tinordi24*

Prussian_Blue said:

P_B

Prussian,

I agree with your assessment and were I the Blues it would take a lot for me to NOT take Johnson. But to suggest the BLUES got screwed out of Scott Stevens when they screwed the Caps in the first place..well I dont agree with that! lol

Jaded,

The caps maybe a bit ahead of where the pens were 3 years ago just because we have Ovechkin (I dont believe Pitt had either Malkin or Crosby back then) in addition to the deep prospect pool the pens had.

Either way the Pens will definitely contend before the Caps and there will indeed be at least one or two more lotto years for the Caps.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Tinordi24 said:
Prussian,

I agree with your assessment and were I the Blues it would take a lot for me to NOT take Johnson. But to suggest the BLUES got screwed out of Scott Stevens when they screwed the Caps in the first place..well I dont agree with that! lol

Jaded,

The caps maybe a bit ahead of where the pens were 3 years ago just because we have Ovechkin (I dont believe Pitt had either Malkin or Crosby back then) in addition to the deep prospect pool the pens had.

Either way the Pens will definitely contend before the Caps and there will indeed be at least one or two more lotto years for the Caps.

Good. I am glad that you did not take it as a slam, it was not meant as one. In fact I am very glad that the Pens did it the right way and except for last year took the time needed to rebuild properly and did not look for short cuts. I sense that the Caps are doing the same and I think that is very much the right thing long term though it sucks for the next couple of years. With that in mind you do NOT need to worry so much about the position to pick this year. Why go wild and overpay to fill what is admittedly your biggest need, defense? You need a great center for Ovechkin eventually and you have the mother load of center drafts right now and sit pretty to get your choice among the best of them. Again, do not rob your well regarding prospect depth to panic and move up this year. Wait until next year or the year after for the defenseman. For the Caps that top five pick will be there I believe for a couple more years to fill that need when top end defenseman will be more plentiful like centers were this year. You all are just that far away. Just some honest advice from a Pens' fan on what I would do if I were you guys.

Transported Upstater

Mr Bugg said:

13. Toronto Maple Leafs- Chris Stewart

Power wingers have always been a love of the Toronto braintrust, and it's an easy decision when the best one left hails from Ontario. Add in that he's also perhaps the closest forward outside the top 5 to make it to the NHL in the next two years, and case closed.

14. Vancouver Canucks- James Sheppard

The Ron Jeremy of the hockey world, the Canucks are extremely blessed down south, but beyond the blueline, they're just, well, ugly. Alex Burrows, try as he might, isn't the long-term answer. Sheppard goes a long way towards improving a lackluster group of forward prospects that are mostly projects.

15-20: Bob Sanguinetti, Ty Wishart, Jonathan Bernier, Alexander vasyunov, Mike Forney, Yuri Alexandrov

Rising: Riku Helenius, Oskar Osala, Jamie McGinn
Falling: Jesse Joensuu, David Ruzicka, Tyson Dowzak

If the Leafs pass on Sheppard for Stewart I've going to punch myself in the face until I look like Tie Domi.

CH Wizard

TransportedUpstater said:
If the Leafs pass on Sheppard for Stewart I've going to punch myself in the face until I look like Tie Domi.

Me too, sheppard is by far the skillier player. Stewart is special but t.o needs a big center.

Vic Rattlehead*

TransportedUpstater said:

You'll be punching yourself for years.

Mark Pavelich

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
GaryU said:
Guess again, Ranger boy...An AHL goalie for a Top 6, surely you jest..

While I agree Montoya alone would not get a top 6 pick You make it sound like he is a career minor leaguer. Montoya has the ability to be an excellent NHL goalie for years to come.

BedBug

Apr 22, 2006
Jersey/Long Island
I like the sound of Phil Kessel lining up with Sidney Crosby and Colby Armstrong in the near future, and I believe that is whats going to happen. I think St. Louis is higher on Johnson and with a couple young forwards stepping up at the end of the season (McClement, Stempniak), they'll want to go Johnson.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Pavelich, Only speaking of this draft. Montoya may turn out great, but for now, a minor league goalie unworthy of the #3 pick.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Jaded-Fan said:
:eek:

I like you as a poster and a Mod here. But don't hold your breath on that one (Whitney or Orpik and Pens' first for Blues' first) PB.

;)

Oh, don't worry... I wouldn't expect the Pens to make that deal in a hundred years. I'm just throwing it out there as the kind of "knock-your-socks-off" deal it'd take for me to even consider moving that first-overall pick.

P_B

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad