OT: ST. LOUIS CITY SC 2023: The New Kids on the Block

Allens Five Hole

Jan 17, 2017
Austin was in the semifinals last year. Portland was kind of decimated by injury, but they're also notoriously strong at home.

I don't think anyone would say the team is GOOD like top-of-the-table expectation good, but I'd be pretty comfortable saying they are definitely not a BAD team in the MLS like everyone predicted them to be at the start of the season, and should definitely be in the pack. Starting 3-0 already gives them a big leg up on getting a playoff spot with the expanded format even if they struggle some this season.

They've scored a lot of goals off of what you could easily label as luck/out of character mistakes by the opposition, but their strategy is one that creates those mistakes by applying constant pressure and stretching the fitness of the opponents, so in many ways they make their own luck.

The team lead in expected goals in all three of their matches and had the better run of play by most people's eyes. I'm not really sure what sources are strong for soccer analytics, but Footy Stats has CITY ranked #7 in the league in expected goal differential. Their actual goals outpace their expected by the highest margin in the league so you can point to that as another indicator of luck, but it's more like they're lucky on top of outplaying their opponents so far.

I haven't seen any data on it but I would not be surprised if playing a heavy press style leads to the team outperforming xG and underperforming xGA, which would be true of the season so far. Being aggressive against the opposing backline will force mistakes that create opportunity but also leave you vulnerable to counterattack. It's chaotic, but it's also pretty fun and leads to more action on the pitch.

Last night was also fun because you really could see the team has a lot of belief in each other and their style and won't back down. They looked terrible in the first five minutes and conceded that goal but it didn't affect them. In the 81st minute they were protecting a 1 goal lead but they still weren't afraid to commit two players to pressure the opposing goalkeeper with the ball in his box. Most teams in any sport would be turtling in a similar situation but CITY is committed to playing their style. To me that's fun to watch and shows that the coach and the team have instilled the type of belief in each other we wish the Blues had this season.

That said, it's only three games. But there are real reasons to have at least some level of excitement. Ultimately, though, everything is gravy at this point. The team has the lowest payroll in the league and expectations were low. If they lost every game from here on out, the season would still be a success. But I certainly don't think that will happen.
Agree with all of this.

I think there was a lot of misunderstanding with the way that STL City went about their business as an expansion team. I really like that we solidified the spine of our team with DP's and proven players at the top of European football. Burki played GK at Dortmund, a perennial Champions League last 16 club and Lowen has plenty of experience playing in the Bundesliga too, one of the better leagues in the world (probably 3rd behind Premier League and La Liga). Klauss also played on loan at the best Finnish club where they qualify for European competition yearly and he scored goals at a fantastic rate.

Regarding the heavy pressing style, there should be some concern that performances will begin to dip as the year progresses because it is extremely difficult to maintain those fitness levels across the full year, a bit like playing a heavy checking game in hockey.

I am really happy that they've picked up full points for their performances so far because chances are they will probably need every single point to make the playoffs year 1.

Reactions: Drubilly

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
If I wasn't working, I would definitely be there Saturday!

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
There's still a lot of the soccer elements US fans like to rag on in the CITY games, but the team's style is also one that fits our St. Louis culture I think. There may be diving in soccer but our team isn't the one engaging in that stuff and they're focused on outworking opponents.

The press strategy is also kind of taking a page from hockey in that it's essentially a forechecking style. Modern soccer has evolved to a game focused around possessing the ball, but the press sacrifices possession for ball position, believing that the foe possessing the ball on their side of the field isn't a problem if you make it tough for them to maintain possession moving up the field. That's essentially a heavy forechecking strategy straight form the hockey playbook, where you dump the puck in but use the forecheck to prevent defenders from maintaining possession if they do manage to reach the puck before the attackers.

CITY does like to use long balls to push the ball closer to the opposing net quickly, and seem to do a good job winning the 50/50 type battles that creates, but they also aren't afraid to pass the ball through the middle of the field with possession, which is certainly the hallmark of a good team, both in hockey and in soccer.

Anyway I'm sure there are plenty of hockey fans here who still have zero interest in soccer and most of the people who do area already watching, but if you haven't and are curious give it a chance. I'm not sure what the schedule is like but the MLS and AppleTV seem to have some weekend slated for streaming matches free so you shouldn't have to pay either.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
St. Louis has always been a soccer town since I can remember. Kinda cool.

Miguel Perez goes to Pattonville HS. I’d never heard of that one before. Apparently, it’s in Maryland Heights.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
We’re arguably the soccer capital of the U.S. - travesty that it took this long to get a team

My dad use to take me to Steamers games at the Arena. I was never a fan of soccer but indoor games were always pretty fun.

steamers.jpg

ChicagoIsBedarded

Aug 22, 2022
They've really produced a great product with STLSC. Fun team. Fantastic stadium. (Granted it's only 2 games old, but it's SO clean. And it's beautiful at night)

STL IS the soccer capital of the US. Just go look at the SLYSA website. I bet you haven't heard of 90% of the clubs. And that's not including school teams.

Besides players, I think we pump out more officials than any other city, too.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
My dad use to take me to Steamers games at the Arena. I was never a fan of soccer but indoor games were always pretty fun.

View attachment 672304
Hell yeah! I got Slobo to sign my orange and black ball at Omni Sports.

My Irish buddy (big soccer fan) laughed his butt off when I told him our team was called the Steamers. It has another meaning where he comes from.

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
We’re arguably the soccer capital of the U.S. - travesty that it took this long to get a team
You can't say that ok, Sporting KC reupped the copyright on soccer capitol of the US last year when they saw we were coming into the league. STL soccer podcast with that name started a few years ago just got a copyright infringement notice from Sporting so they had to change their name...

Adds a bit more fuel to the potential cross state rivalry, at least...

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
You can't say that ok, Sporting KC reupped the copyright on soccer capitol of the US last year when they saw we were coming into the league. STL soccer podcast with that name started a few years ago just got a copyright infringement notice from Sporting so they had to change their name...

Adds a bit more fuel to the potential cross state rivalry, at least...
They trademarked it - different from copyright, but I get it. I can still use the phrase on here and comment on it and even opine that St. Louis is the soccer capital of the US - I just can’t use the trademarked phrase in a commercial manner (example: in an advertisement).

Reactions: Bluesish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad