GDT: St. Louis Blues vs. Vancouver Canucks | Cup Defense on the Brink |

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Great Series. Blues played very good and very hard. they would have went far yet again if they won this series.
I wish this were true, but this series was more about the Blues playing inconsistently than Vancouver suddenly becoming a contender. It’s a fact that the Blues were 0-4 in the bubble going into the series. They were still experimenting with defensive pairings. The 4th line which was so crucial last postseason never played together, and their replacements were a liability. Tarasenko was a blank for a few games, and now a reinjury question mark. Bottom line, the team just never was ready to compete at their necessary level.

If the Blues had beaten the Canucks, it would only have been to get bludgeoned against Vegas. I don’t mean to rain on the Canuck’s parade, but I think this series win is going to look a little like fool’s gold in a week when Vancouver doesn’t look like they’ve come nearly as far all of a sudden.

I’m not going to go on the main forum or your board to tell you that, that would be poor sportsmanship. But if you come on our forum (as a nauseating number of Canucks did on the GDTs, often rudely) I’m going to give my honest impression.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
blues were a one and done team. for how much st.louis grinded out a cup win last year I don't think anyone bet they could replicate it for so many reasons. it's awesome the blues had the cup last year which is more than most achieve, but in the same way Washington looked like a power house for the last 12 years they also likely only exit the ovechkin era with one cup

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
We played about 4 games of worthwhile hockey in the entire bubble run. Should be no surprise to anyone that we were eliminated. I know this team was the defending champs, but clearly not the same team. This team sucked post-break. The margin wasn't very big last year. The Dallas and Boston series could have gone either way, the Jets game 5 3rd period. We were somewhat better with everyone playing good hockey, now with almost everyone playing pretty poor hockey. Allen played pretty well. ROR was a monster. Schenn was pretty good. Kyrou showed us something. Sanford looked better this year. Schwartz was about the same. Everyone else played notably worse. We were one of the worst teams in the bubble and Canuck fans are acting like they slayed the giant. They're a good team, we weren't. Not worthy of mystique. Just a lot of bad hockey, guys slipping on pucks and bumping into each other.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
I wish this were true, but this series was more about the Blues playing inconsistently than Vancouver suddenly becoming a contender. It’s a fact that the Blues were 0-4 in the bubble going into the series. They were still experimenting with defensive pairings. The 4th line which was so crucial last postseason never played together, and their replacements were a liability. Tarasenko was a blank for a few games, and now a reinjury question mark. Bottom line, the team just never was ready to compete at their necessary level.

If the Blues had beaten the Canucks, it would only have been to get bludgeoned against Vegas. I don’t mean to rain on the Canuck’s parade, but I think this series win is going to look a little like fool’s gold in a week when Vancouver doesn’t look like they’ve come nearly as far all of a sudden.

I’m not going to go on the main forum or your board to tell you that, that would be poor sportsmanship. But if you come on our forum (as a nauseating number of Canucks did on the GDTs, often rudely) I’m going to give my honest impression.
thats why this series loss is even more dumb. one thing to go out to a possible championship contender, another to just shoot yourself in the foot over and over to an inferior team. vancouver isnt gonna come close to sniffing the west and they bounced us. berube agrees with both of us btw in his post game presser. said blues made too many mistakes, we gifted them free goals. also had too many people just not bringing it.

if covid doesnt happen, this joke of a 1st round doesnt happen. people can say its an excuse or whatever, but its the truth and we all know it. its a shame it all happened but it did. i just wish it would have happened in a diff year, but thank god it did not happen last year or during our cup run.

i think the longer this tourney goes on, the more blowout games you will see. there is no way these players want to be away from their families in the middle of nowhere for this long and as soon as they sniff a way out, they are just gonna pack it in. you saw it when arizona and you saw it tonight with the blues. expect it to happen more and more.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
We played about 4 games of worthwhile hockey in the entire bubble run. Should be no surprise to anyone that we were eliminated. I know this team was the defending champs, but clearly not the same team. This team sucked post-break. The margin wasn't very big last year. The Dallas and Boston series could have gone either way, the Jets game 5 3rd period. We were somewhat better with everyone playing good hockey, now with almost everyone playing pretty poor hockey. Allen played pretty well. ROR was a monster. Schenn was pretty good. Kyrou showed us something. Sanford looked better this year. Schwartz was about the same. Everyone else played notably worse. We were one of the worst teams in the bubble and Canuck fans are acting like they slayed the giant. They're a good team, we weren't. Not worthy of mystique. Just a lot of bad hockey, guys slipping on pucks and bumping into each other.
we were the worst team in the bubble. even arizona would have beat us with how many stupid mistakes we made in the bubble. the hawks clowned us 4-0. we literally kicked their asses all season long, but in the bubble they clowned us.

covid killed the 2020 blues.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
Great series guys, it was fun....
You guys were the better team, even I predicted Blues in 6 before the start of the series.
But I think the goaltending was the biggest factor though. Letting in soft goals will deflate the mentality of the players. I know it's a team game and no one will point fingers, but Binnington was terrible. Allen made it a series.

I'm not sure why Binnington started, but he definitely should have been yanked after 2-0. It was obvious he wasn't going to give the performance required for an elimination game. I think there could have been a game 7 if Allen went in sooner.

Anyway, you guys won the cup last year, so screw it. You guys will feel better in a few days. :thumbu:

GG.

Reactions: Ridge1982

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Binnington was below average this series and Vince Dunn was just awful. I hope they trade him this offseason, the guy can't play defense.

Reactions: jura

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I know, I am reading way to much into this, but I did not like the look on Alex Pietrangelo's face in that presser.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Regular GDTs: 0-4
Half-Assed GDTs: 2-0
I think I figured out our problem
HauntingFantasticAmericanbittern-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: mk80

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
I know, I am reading way to much into this, but I did not like the look on Alex Pietrangelo's face in that presser.
Did anyone listen to Kerbs/Vetalli? The NBC (Pierre) crew is so annoying that I synced them with the TV for every game. I could be wrong but sometime in the 3rd when it was clear it was over, it sounded like Kerbs leaked some info on accident. During a long rant about how tough it was dealing with the injuries/Barby leaving/ect....I thought he said the captain might have had to leave the bubble in a later round for personal reasons.

I remember Petro saying something back in training camp about not liking the idea being away from his family this long.

On that note, props to Kerbs/Vetalli (spelling) last night. Those two love the Blues and I thought they did a good job trying to put into words how frustrating and messed up this whole covid situation is and how amazing the 2018-19 season through March of 2020 was for the Blues.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Did anyone listen to Kerbs/Vetalli? The NBC (Pierre) crew is so annoying that I synced them with the TV for every game. I could be wrong but sometime in the 3rd when it was clear it was over, it sounded like Kerbs leaked some info on accident. During a long rant about how tough it was dealing with the injuries/Barby leaving/ect....I thought he said the captain might have had to leave the bubble in a later round for personal reasons.

I remember Petro saying something back in training camp about not liking the idea being away from his family this long.

On that note, props to Kerbs/Vetalli (spelling) last night. Those two love the Blues and I thought they did a good job trying to put into words how frustrating and messed up this whole covid situation is and how amazing the 2018-19 season through March of 2020 was for the Blues.
Petro wife is expecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->