mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Don't call it a comeback yet folks!

giphy.gif

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Wow ballsy pulling the goalie this early
Only done because The Canucks' great forecheck they started the last half of Game 5 that brought their comeback and won them this series, made it so difficult for The Blues to skate and pass the puck out of their own zone, through The Neutral Zone, and cleanly into The O-Zone! :ha:

Reactions: Bluenatic

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
As the curtain seems to be slowly closing tonight, I'd like to take a moment to give thanks to the Defending Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues, a phrase I never in my life thought I would ever say aloud and have it be true. It's been an emotional, magical amazing ride and I am so thankful that, to be a fan since the early 80's, to have lived through the insanity of the team possibly being moved, Mike Keenan, the Lauries, etc. to now having lifted the Stanley Cup IN BOSTON FOR CRISSAKE...

I mean hell, what the hell else can I ever ask for?

Yeah, we could win more Cups, but it's that first one, that first championship after all the adversity, insanity and utter stupidity, earned through hard work, talent, some guy named Pat Maroon and a song called Gloria that makes me believe in a Hockey God that once upon a time looked down and said "Your time is now". It brings order to my universe and makes me believe that there is a such a thing as good and that faith is eventually rewarded.

Thank you Blues!

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Well my HFBlues family,

It's been a hell of ride this year! Can't wait to see you all back next season! I'll be around this offseason, you may also find me in the Avs forum on their bandwagon (I grew up a Hershey Bears fan when they were the Avs AHL affiliate).

As always Let's Go Blues!

Juicemeister

Jul 21, 2020
Surprisingly, the result tonight doesn't make me mad, just...disappointed.

If the Blues played a strong game but Markstrom stood on his head or the team just didn't get a bounce, then thats one thing. But all post-season, this team just got out-skated and outplayed.

And honestly, all the underlying numbers indicate that, this simply isn't the same team from last year (at least performance wise). So the fact the Blues are bowing out early doesn't necessarily surprise me, it just disappoints me.

The Blues ranked 14th in xGF%, 24th in xGF/60 and 8th in xGA/60 during the regular season. The Blues were good defensively, but certainly subpar offensively. They didn't create a l0t of chances 5 on 5, so its not really surprising that the team mustered a measly ten 5 on 5 goals through 6 games. If the team wasn't generating the level of chances and shots necessary to sustain offence then it was only a matter of time before the luck runs out. The team relied a lot on goaltending and the power-play for success. The goaltending didn't sustain (and so many defensive miscues as well) and the team struggled. The team was outmatched analytically in every game except for game four.

I also don't agree with any excuse regarding the NHL's pause and the entire bubble scenario. All the other top teams, Boston, Tampa, Philly, Vegas and Colorado have managed to meet expectations so far (even with Bostons similarly poor round robin).

On top of all of this, this may very well have been Alex Pietrangelo's last game in a Blues jersey.

But I guess we can all wait and see what the Blues FO does with the impending cap issues and the roster going forward.

Bluenatic

Fresh start
Aug 13, 2010
STL
ROR looked great this series. And you know he is gonna be pissed about this result. Not sure that is the case with some on this roster.

Reactions: mk80

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Markstroms great play to keep them in game 5 really made difference. Otherwise they woulda been down too much by the time they took control of that game. But if we had played better, we still would have won.

Reactions: mk80

StLewis11

Oct 18, 2008
was So.Ill, now SoCA
As the curtain seems to be slowly closing tonight, I'd like to take a moment to give thanks to the Defending Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues, a phrase I never in my life thought I would ever say aloud and have it be true. It's been an emotional, magical amazing ride and I am so thankful that, to be a fan since the early 80's, to have lived through the insanity of the team possibly being moved, Mike Keenan, the Lauries, etc. to now having lifted the Stanley Cup IN BOSTON FOR CRISSAKE...

I mean hell, what the hell else can I ever ask for?

Yeah, we could win more Cups, but it's that first one, that first championship after all the adversity, insanity and utter stupidity, earned through hard work, talent, some guy named Pat Maroon and a song called Gloria that makes me believe in a Hockey God that once upon a time looked down and said "Your time is now". It brings order to my universe and makes me believe that there is a such a thing as good and that faith is eventually rewarded.

Thank you Blues!
Great post, you've also summed up some of what I'm feeling.

Reactions: GoldenSeal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad