• Alexei Toropchenko

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tanner Kaspick

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Worst I've felt about our prospect pool in quite a while. There's some intriguing guys, but nobody that really excites me all that much. Kostin has the size and skill to be a top six NHL forward. He has a ways to go before he reaches that level, but it's definitely within his capability. That's why I went with him. After Kostin and Perunovich our pool is just littered with meh. Tucker kind of interests me because he was drafted as a tough guy Dman, and then suddenly blew up and started scoring at a ridiculous pace. Skating is something that can be improved, so I have some hope for him. Alexandrov gives me some Lars Eller vibes, and I'd definitely be happy with that for a super late 2nd. I know we supposedly have some interesting goalie prospects, but they are the least valuable commodities around. Unless they are top 10-15 in the world at their position, they're easily replaceable with a mid round pick or a middling prospect(or sometimes for free like Fleury). Our early picks from this year seem pretty safe bets to be contributors at some point, but nothing too impactful. Just more meh. A lot is riding on Kyrou, Thomas, Kostin, and Perunovich. We need all four of them to be big time impact players.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I'm on the fence between Kostin, Neighbors, Bolduc, Robertsson, and Alexandrov. I went with Kostin, but see Robertsson as potentially the highest ceiling player. Perunovich is still a suspect for me. He hasn't played an AHL game yet and he is small. Very small. I just don't see it other than Europe. He will make Krug look big. Video I have seen. College games I saw. He is 5'10" on skates. Maybe 5'8". He was dwarfed by his teammates in college. I think a move to a forward spot may be in his future with his skill level. He does have some power play and passing skills. 6'2" 200#s....he is definitely a first round pick. I still don't think the game will allow for a defenseman that is that undersized, unless he is just a super freak of nature..

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Sorry! I'd forgotten he was a defenceman. But, I somehow identified with him having good offensive instincts. Does he have pretty decent scoring totals for Sweden (remembering that they are stingy with secondary assists)?
They are giving secondary assist out now? I'm sure you remember when there was only one assist. It's like you draft a guy with 8 points in 40 games and you are told what a great passer and offensive game they have.....

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Really Outside if Kessel and our international kids, most of the rest didn’t get the time to show what they could do.

I know many were disappointed with the Neighbors pick, but he played very well in the WHL limited season. I think if he had a full season, many would have a different view of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Klim is going to have to show me he can play in NA before I get too high on him.

I do think Hartley was what the doctor ordered though.

I'm not sure what you mean by this? He's played 181 AHL games between 2018-2020... Kostin didn't necessarily kick the door down in the AHL or force his way onto the NHL roster, but he's certainly played a pro NA game.

He was about to turn 21 as the Rampage finished their 2019-20 season and he posted 13g-17a-30p in 48gp. That's certainly worthy of note considering that NA prospects would have been playing their rookie AHL season at that stage and we would have been raving about those numbers.

I think alot of us are quick to dismiss Klim's progress, simply because he chose the hardest development route and struggled because of his decision. Any NA draftee unable to make the NHL would have played 2 more years of Juniors before they had the opportunity to be assigned to the AHL. Kostin should have played a year or two in the CHL, then proceeded to the AHL, but, there's no going back now.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Klim did not look good in NA. His numbers were suggestive of a 3rd liner tops if he were to make the NHL. See Barbashev’s numbers as a comparable.

Klim’s play away from the puck in NA was poor as was the utilization of his teammates.

Maybe he has overcome those issues since his time with Hartley, but he still has to prove it in NA. So far he hasn’t. This year will be a key opportunity for him to do so.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Disagree. Neighbours and Bolduc project as top 6 forwards. They are both as good of prospects as Fabbri or Kyrou at similar point, if not Thomas. Guys like Dickinson and Peterson and Robertson and Alexandrov and Kostin project as middle 6 guys. Perunovich as top 4 defenseman. Not saying each of these guys reach projections, but our farm system is fairly well stocked for where and how infrequently we have picked.
I guess I am not seeing what you are seeing. I don’t see any blue chip prospects, just some in the tier below.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I guess I am not seeing what you are seeing. I don’t see any blue chip prospects, just some in the tier below.

Did you consider Kyrou a blue chip after his first season? I really think the shortened season and lack of playoffs have lowered the views of some of our prospects - where they did not get the recognition they might have otherwise. Both Bolduc and Nieghbors were invited to team Canada's eval camp.

Reactions: Blueston

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Sorry! I'd forgotten he was a defenceman. But, I somehow identified with him having good offensive instincts. Does he have pretty decent scoring totals for Sweden (remembering that they are stingy with secondary assists)?

Poor stats in the SHL(0 points in 9 games) but he was loaned out to Linden in the 3rd tier and put up 15 points in 19 games.

Not ready to write the kid off just yet, but IMO he slid below Kessel on our rankings.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Did you consider Kyrou a blue chip after his first season? I really think the shortened season and lack of playoffs have lowered the views of some of our prospects - where they did not get the recognition they might have otherwise. Both Bolduc and Nieghbors were invited to team Canada's eval camp.
I did not view Kostin as a blue chip prospect. There were too many questions I had concerning his game. Kyrou I did consider him a blue chip guy because he seemed to have a lot of translatable tools. I didn’t have as many bust concerns about him as I did Klim. Thomas was similar to Kyrou in that regard. I felt pretty strongly about Fabbri too. The years following just reinforced those beliefs. Kyrou, Thomas and Fabbri showed me more than Klim in year 2.

Like Klim, I still have concerns with Perunovich. Neighbours and Bolduc read as middle 6 guys. Neighbours looks like a 3 to me and Bolduc has some bust potential IMO based on limited video.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad