St Louis Blues to broadcast all 82 RS games - a first

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I don't think that's _that_ unusual - neither the Kings nor the Ducks have all 82 RS games on local TV in the SoCal market.

Sharks last season for the first time had all 82 games broadcast.

It helped the local regional sports station has 2 main channels and an alternate (third). (What with 2 MLB, 1+ NBA and the Sharks competing, it kinda made sense. That "+" NBA team is the Sacramento Kings which "share" the secondary/alternate channels.)

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
It is kind of surprising, since there is no competition from the NBA - although a defunct ABA team likely earns more TV revenues than the Blues.

The only pro competition for channel space on Fox Sports Midwest are the Cards - plus some college BBall.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
that's stunning. I'd expect it in the SoCal market as there's a lot of competition (even Pac-12 football on FSN in the early fall), but in St. Louis?

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
It is kind of surprising, since there is no competition from the NBA - although a defunct ABA team likely earns more TV revenues than the Blues.

The only pro competition for channel space on Fox Sports Midwest are the Cards - plus some college BBall.

There is your answer..

Fehr Time*

Hmm, that is surprising I guess, but at least it is happening now. Good news for Blues fans.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Damn...I think you'd have to go back to the KBL era to find that for the Penguins (mid-90s). I don't remember actually listening to the game on the radio because it way my only option since a Pens-Islanders game from like '96. Tommy Soderstrom got lit the **** up.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Not that surprising. I'm guessing pretty much every team not in New York doesn't get every game on TV no matter what the sport.

Fugu

Not that surprising. I'm guessing pretty much every team not in New York doesn't get every game on TV no matter what the sport.

Wings have all their games on TV. Heck, going back to the old Hawks of the 1970's, the issue was the Wirtz limited access that had previously been granted.

I think what is surprising is that STL has been around for a few decades and have some stretches of high popularity and success.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
why is this shocking? blues have top attendance and strong local ratings. canada would be proud of loyal blues fans

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
huh..... I was under the impression that the Blues already had all their games televised, though that might just be leftover from my annoyance at the fact that I grew up in Champaign and couldn't watch any Hawks games and yet the Blues were on TV at least relatively often.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Just guessing but I think he means NYC's TV stations coverages a significantly larger amount of households. Doesn't mean more people watch the Islanders than the Wings, but the potential is there.

But that has nothing to do with the topic... the guy said he believed only New York teams would have all their games televised, I informed him he was wrong.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
I think its been 10+ years since the Bruins haven't had a game on TV, and that was only because Carolina chose not to broadcast it and to not have any cameramen there. Even then it was absolutely shocking.

Only a 2nd class organization wouldn't broadcast every game in this day and age, at least to the extent that they can.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
There were only a few games that the Blues didn't televise last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->