Not open for further replies.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
1) Allen 53%
2) Fabbri 45%
3) Jaskin 39%
4) Rattie 61%
5) Barbashev 86%

This one, to me, is actually pretty difficult. I went with Schmaltz because I know a lot more about him than Parayko, and I've seen him play far more often. I think Parayko has a chance to rocket up our prospect list by the end of the season in the same way Jaskin did a few years ago. I had to stick with the guy I know more about, but the way scouts rave about Parayko is intriguing.

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Schmaltz here for me. I think there is a giant gap here from the rest. I am not sold on any of our D-prospects. They are all ok, but anyone can bust. I think Schmaltz is the least likely to completely flame out and has a decent upside. But it's a crap shoot at this point. I gave Binnington serious consideration. I think he has talent to be good. However, I'd like to see how he does in Chicago this year. Also, with Allen being the number 1 prospect, it will be a couple of years until he moves up (When Allen secures the #1 spot and we let Els go).

And wow, on how quickly the last poll closed. I didn't get to vote. Not that it mattered, as I voted for Barbashev every poll but the first. Good job board finally getting it right ;)

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Schmaltz here for me. I think there is a giant gap here from the rest. I am not sold on any of our D-prospects. They are all ok, but anyone can bust. I think Schmaltz is the least likely to completely flame out and has a decent season. But it's a crap shoot at this point. I gave Binnington serious consideration. I think he has talent to be good. However, I'd like to see how he does in Chicago this year. Also, with Allen being the number 1 prospect, it will be a couple of years until he moves up (When Allen secures the #1 spot and we let Els go).

And wow, on how quickly the last poll closed. I didn't get to vote. Not that it mattered, as I voted for Barbashev every poll but the first. Good job board finally getting it right ;)

This one seems to be heading in the same direction :laugh:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Now that the new toy syndrome has worn off Cody Beach can take his rightful place in the prospect pool.
I just can't agree. Jake Walman is the clear cut choice here and I am kind of stunned how you could disagree with that. I want some explanations.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Frenzy1 said:
multimoodia said:
He deserved it. The player Schmaltz was deserved a lot of scorn, thankfully he stopped playing that way.
What? He played on the top pairing with Forbert as a Freshman. He was a dominant player in the USHL the year he was drafted. I get that people ripped the pick, but he wasn't considered a reach at that time. He didn't just suddenly put it all together last season - as a Freshman he had to earn his time and focus on his defensive game - which he has. Unlike Vannelli, who went the CHL route, he has had to learn the dside of things first.

And yes, I went with Schmaltz here.

So, this was from a previous thread and I need to explain why Schmaltz is the best answer here for pick #6 (unless you have enough sense to vote Beach, but obviously that's not going to happen yet)

Schmaltz, when he was drafted was scared of physical play. He was not disinclined to play that way, he was not "finesse" he was flatly afraid of getting hit. I watched several of his games and someone I know quite well was at the Gambler games a lot.
While Schmaltz that season had showed he was fantastic offensively he was very raw and according to the Gambler watcher, Schmaltz had been coasting for some time because of his natural talent.
He was horrendous in his own zone (Phanuef level giveaways multiple times a game) in part because he was trying to avoid being hit.
He cheated forward so often you could have sworn he was a forward, his interest in defense was...inconsistent to put it nicely.
His maneuverability was bad and the only way he could skate was forward. Backpeddling was an adventure and side-to-side was anything but good.

There were games where he dominated, and there were games where he was actually a negative for the team.

However, since joining ND he has completely changed his game for the better. I can now see him skating in all three zones and in all directions with authority. He's not overly physical, but he is willing now to take a hit to deliver a pass or to clear the zone.
His IQ in the defensive zone has blossomed, it's not perfect (but what younger player's ever is?) but it is more than passable and it can be built from.

When the draft was made Schmaltz's best case scenario, if he didn't seriously adapt his game, was a slower Dennis Wideman.
Today? You can see that he could be a perfectly adequate replacement for Shattenkirk in a few years if Shatty decides to price himself out of the Blues plans. He's an exciting, responsible player that actually may have a good future in the NHL.

So, hats off to Schmaltz. His improvements rewarded the Blues' scouting staff trust in him and ultimately showed why the Blues' scouting staff does what they do for a living and why I don't.

I'm still not forgiving them for taking Scott Jackson over Stastny though.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
I just can't agree. Jake Walman is the clear cut choice here and I am kind of stunned how you could disagree with that. I want some explanations.

Look you foolish fool, Walman's got some upside, but Beach is on another level.
You know why?
Intangibles.

4th highest score on the **** (Toews Intangible Testing System) ever is owned by Cody Beach.

Furthermore, the boost he gives the room by allowing them to yell at the referees about them being "Beaches" is simply fantastic.

Did I mention intangibles? Because Beach, he has them.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I think Binnington will not get the attention he deserves. The kid has done nothing but impress despite the lack of hype surrounding him. I am a big Jake Allen fan, but so far at the same age, I think Binnington is ahead of Allen's game I terms of positioning and big game play. He should get strong consideration along with "the defenseman" for the next few spots.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
The next 28 voters would all have to vote for Binnington (who has the second most votes with 3) in order to tie Schmaltz. That's not happening, so I'm calling it.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad