Prospect Info: St. Louis Blues Prospect Ranking #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
SMH

Ok, the guy that just scored 30 goals as a first year AHL player is our 5th best prospect. LMAO. But he's too small? Didn't stop Fabbri from being voted a better prospect. But his game may not translate? Not being able to skate (Jaskin) would be a much more damning flaw in translating pro abilities. But he isn't that safe of a prospect? Right and Barbashev who was just drafted and hasn't passed any of the tests after being drafted that Rattie did is just so much a better bet at this point. Ever hear of Tomas Kana?

This is an example of Blues fans outthinking themselves into stupidity. A guy that pipes in 30 goals or more at every stop along the way would be a top 3 prospect in any system.

Next
I gotta say I strongly agree with this.

I realize we had a good draft but some of you are overrating the **** out of Fabbri and Barbashev. Good players yes, but I must have missed where they all the sudden are guarantees to become perennial all stars. How these guys are already getting ranked ahead of players who have proven themselves more is a bit mind-boggling.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

I realize we had a good draft but some of you are overrating the **** out of Fabbri and Barbashev. Good players yes, but I must have missed where they all the sudden are guarantees to become perennial all stars. How these guys are already getting ranked ahead of players who have proven themselves more is a bit mind-boggling.

Nah, I think the 10 or whatever shifts Rattie had in the NHL last season showed me he's going to bust. He was a total non-factor.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Nah, I think the 10 or whatever shifts Rattie had in the NHL last season showed me he's going to bust. He was a total non-factor.

That's why I keep waiting for Sejna to show back up on the Blues. He scored a hat trick on Patrick Roy, he's obviously bound for the HOF when he decides to re-join.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Prospect rankings can be, but are hardly limited to, "who has shown more" at a higher level. Many people factor in projected ceilings/roles, bust risk, player strengths and flaws, and even the relative value of the position played.

My personal rankings go Fabbri, Barbashev, Rattie, Jaskin, and then Allen. I'm sure that's quite different than how the top five would look for many others here. Yet, I've seen all of these guys play, have a good deal of hockey knowledge myself, and can articulate rational arguments for my rankings. There's quite a bit of room for reasonable disagreement in this process.

Also, if one believes that "player X is being overrated," then feel free to kindly mention why by sharing one's own thoughts on the player in question. Personally, I don't find the fact that Rattie scored 30 goals last year in the AHL to be a very compelling argument for Barbashev being overrated by Blues fans.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
EastonBlues22 said:
Yet, I've seen all of these guys play, have a good deal of hockey knowledge myself, and can articulate rational arguments for my rankings.

Pffft...as if anyone would believe that.

Also, if one believes that "player X is being overrated," then feel free to kindly mention why by sharing one's own thoughts on the player in question.
Because I said so and by default that makes me correct.
You're not really very good at this debate thing.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I went with Rattie. To me his skill set is more valuable to the Blues by being a pure sniper.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I went Jaskin because I feel he has a better shot at making an impact in the NHL, Rattie has the higher ceiling though, he's next

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Prospect rankings can be, but are hardly limited to, "who has shown more" at a higher level. Many people factor in projected ceilings/roles, bust risk, player strengths and flaws, and even the relative value of the position played.

My personal rankings go Fabbri, Barbashev, Rattie, Jaskin, and then Allen. I'm sure that's quite different than how the top five would look for many others here. Yet, I've seen all of these guys play, have a good deal of hockey knowledge myself, and can articulate rational arguments for my rankings. There's quite a bit of room for reasonable disagreement in this process.

Also, if one believes that "player X is being overrated," then feel free to kindly mention why by sharing one's own thoughts on the player in question. Personally, I don't find the fact that Rattie scored 30 goals last year in the AHL to be a very compelling argument for Barbashev being overrated by Blues fans.
You did a great job of subtly talking yourself up with this post. Keep it up.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range

He's already a global mod, we start letting him get even more of an ego and he'll turn into ColdComfort.

...Well that may require extensive surgery, and perhaps enough concussions to remove the stigma of wanting anything other than the utter destruction of the Red Wings

(I say this here because hopefully she won't see me and ban me to the trade board or something. I ain't messing with her where she usually roams, she'd chew me up and spit me out. And I have a weekly appointment with Mistress Allysin for that sort of thing)

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
That wasn't my intention. Instead of shifting the focus to me, let's try sticking to the Rattie/Barbashev discussion that was pretty clearly the main point of my post. To put a finer point on it:

1) Nobody is saying these two are going to be perennial all-stars.

2) A statement like Fabbri and Barbashev are being "overrated as ****" is a pretty strong statement to make. Feel free to back it up with a bit more detailed explanation of why you think Barbashev (and Fabbri?) are worse prospects than Rattie. Discussing something about the prospects themselves is usually helpful in this regards.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
There really shouldn't be any arguing of where our top 5 gets placed because to be honest, other than Allen they could all be interchanged.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
It's been a while since I visited this board so I wasn't around when the #1 prospect was picked but I'm pretty surprised that Allen won. He's the most NHL ready but certainly not the most valuable prospect or the prospect with the highest ceiling IMO. I guess that just goes to show how people view prospects very differently. Anyway, with the selections that are left, I'd have them as Rattie, Barbashev, Jaskin, Schmaltz, Parayko, Lindbohm, Vanelli, Edmundson, Hakanpaa. Very little separation from one guy to the next though so my rankings at this level are pretty fluid at the moment.

letmesleep

Mar 12, 2009
I'd like to see Niklas Lundstrom added to the list for voting next time, I think he's a better prospect than a lot of the ones on the list already.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
I went with Fabbri first, but Allen won out. So I voted for Fabbri second.

After that, for me, it goes(ceilings vs floors)

Rattie
Barbashev
Jaskin
Lindbohm/Schmaltz
Allen
Parayako
Letunov(shiny new toy syndrome)
Edmunson
Etc...

Outside of Fabbri, I think Rattie has the highest upside of any of our forwards. The kid just scored 31 goals in the AHL as a rookie. What the one thing everyone says about Rattie? He's to small, he's got a slight frame,blah,blah,blah.....well guess what, he was the best player on a team full of grown men. He has scored at an ELITE level since Bantam and has been right there with all of the top kids his age, yet people still question his skill level. I want to mention again, he scored 31 goals and everyone has been clamprimg for a sniper, well people, hes sitting right in front of you. Adding weight may very well be the easiest thing for an athlete to accomplish. Changing ones skating(Jaskin) is MUCH harder and will take a couple of years to fully complete. Yes Backes did it, but that shouldn't be considered the norm. With the way Rattie produced last year, I may even consider him our best prospect, but Fabbri is a shiny new toy and a center......and for some reason I think he will become a Blues version of Giroux. Rattie is by far the most accomplished scoring prospect we've had since Frank/Schwartz.

I really like Barbashev too, but I want to see him next season before I can place him ahead of Rattie. He looked NHL ready in prospect camp. Good size, great speed, great D game, the Blues just don't have space for him right now. Although it would be pretty cool to see him steal the 3rd line center spot, but I REALLY doubt it at this point. I have him above Jaskin too because of his position, center is just way more valuable than wingers. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see Jaskin as anything more than a 3rd liner. He may still progress, but I'm not sold yet. Fabbri, Rattie, Barbashev all look to have top 6 upside in 4-5 years when the Oshie, Steen, Backes' become too expensive to re-sign.

As far as the D prospect go Schmaltz/Lindbohm look like locks for the top 4 in the future. The only thing is they won t unseat Petro or JBo and I hope the Blues will keep Shatt past his current contract. But 50 pt top 4 dman in 4 years will be earning 7+ mil and the Blues can't afford that, so they could slide right into his spot. After finally getting to see these guys in person, I REALLY like them both. Schmaltz definitely looks like a first round pick, he has all the needed tools to compete in the new NHL. Size, speed, hands, elusiveness, strong stick play and a great shot. Lindbohm on the other hand was a revalation, that was partly because I knew very little about him. But after watching him play, he knocked my socks off, he was just as good as Schmaltz and sometimes even better. I really hope he plays in NA next year

Parayako is really good, the recent hype has pushed him into the spotlight a little more, but I just don't see him in the same light as the 2 mentioned above. He definitely looks the NHL part, he's a biggin'. And that's coming from someone who's 6'5" 315. He looks to be at least a top 7 and could very well become a top6 regular.

My biggest dropper was Vanelli, he did not look good at camp, but he has plenty of time to develop in the CHL. He has put up great numbers in the CHL, so he can play. It's just when compared to the others, he's got a ways to go.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I went with Fabbri first, but Allen won out. So I voted for Fabbri second.

After that, for me, it goes(ceilings vs floors)

Rattie
Barbashev
Jaskin
Lindbohm/Schmaltz
Allen
Parayako
Letunov(shiny new toy syndrome)
Edmunson
Etc...

Outside of Fabbri, I think Rattie has the highest upside of any of our forwards. The kid just scored 31 goals in the AHL as a rookie. What the one thing everyone says about Rattie? He's to small, he's got a slight frame,blah,blah,blah.....well guess what, he was the best player on a team full of grown men. He has scored at an ELITE level since Bantam and has been right there with all of the top kids his age, yet people still question his skill level. I want to mention again, he scored 31 goals and everyone has been clamprimg for a sniper, well people, hes sitting right in front of you. Adding weight may very well be the easiest thing for an athlete to accomplish. Changing ones skating(Jaskin) is MUCH harder and will take a couple of years to fully complete. Yes Backes did it, but that shouldn't be considered the norm. With the way Rattie produced last year, I may even consider him our best prospect, but Fabbri is a shiny new toy and a center......and for some reason I think he will become a Blues version of Giroux. Rattie is by far the most accomplished scoring prospect we've had since Frank/Schwartz.

I really like Barbashev too, but I want to see him next season before I can place him ahead of Rattie. He looked NHL ready in prospect camp. Good size, great speed, great D game, the Blues just don't have space for him right now. Although it would be pretty cool to see him steal the 3rd line center spot, but I REALLY doubt it at this point. I have him above Jaskin too because of his position, center is just way more valuable than wingers. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see Jaskin as anything more than a 3rd liner. He may still progress, but I'm not sold yet. Fabbri, Rattie, Barbashev all look to have top 6 upside in 4-5 years when the Oshie, Steen, Backes' become too expensive to re-sign.

As far as the D prospect go Schmaltz/Lindbohm look like locks for the top 4 in the future. The only thing is they won t unseat Petro or JBo and I hope the Blues will keep Shatt past his current contract. But 50 pt top 4 dman in 4 years will be earning 7+ mil and the Blues can't afford that, so they could slide right into his spot. After finally getting to see these guys in person, I REALLY like them both. Schmaltz definitely looks like a first round pick, he has all the needed tools to compete in the new NHL. Size, speed, hands, elusiveness, strong stick play and a great shot. Lindbohm on the other hand was a revalation, that was partly because I knew very little about him. But after watching him play, he knocked my socks off, he was just as good as Schmaltz and sometimes even better. I really hope he plays in NA next year

Parayako is really good, the recent hype has pushed him into the spotlight a little more, but I just don't see him in the same light as the 2 mentioned above. He definitely looks the NHL part, he's a biggin'. And that's coming from someone who's 6'5" 315. He looks to be at least a top 7 and could very well become a top6 regular.

My biggest dropper was Vanelli, he did not look good at camp, but he has plenty of time to develop in the CHL. He has put up great numbers in the CHL, so he can play. It's just when compared to the others, he's got a ways to go.

31 goals is nice. But his assists were crap. Jaskin had a better ppg. Come playoff time, Jaskin was a man amongst boys in the AHL. Rattie was a lost puppy. And bulk is easy for some if you have the frame. We shall see if Rattie does. It also matters if you use it. At almost 6 foot, Rattie isn't small. He is just skinny and plays small. People lose sight of Jaskin's skill. He has it as well, and in spades. Yes, he needs to improve his skating to make the BLUES roster. However, last year Jaskin would have been a consistent NHL contributor on 20 teams (estimated). Rattie would have scored 30 AHL goals on all of them. At the same age, Jaskin is a step above Rattie. To me that clearly says he is the better prospect.

medkit

Mar 22, 2014
How long is this thing staying open? Voting has been stagnant for days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad