Prospect Info: St. Louis Blues Prospect Camp

sbkbghockey

Aug 26, 2008
at the ice rink, USA
A couple of other notes from today(my first post was typed with a toddler asleep on me:)

Sergeev must be nursing an injury. He skated in drills, but wasn't skating during the scrimmage. He looked like a pretty good skater. Not much to go on, but he seemed like he belonged.

MacEachern-REALLY liked what I saw from him. Only got to watch him during the scrimmage, but he's big and fast!! Showed some good puck skills and was very hard to knock off the puck. He was probably the best forward on "team Barbashev". Definitely looks like a legit NHL prospect, really looking forward to keeping an eye on his development. Anyone have any insight into where he's playing next year? Is he still going the NCAA route? I seem to get him and Kurker mixed up.

I can see why Bill Armstrong drafted Dunn. He's a long term project, which fits the Blues timeline nicely right now, but he has some serious high end potential. I don't know where I would project him, some scouts on this board compared him to Keith, I can definitely see why they would use him as a comparison. Do I think he'll become an Conn Smyth, Norris trophy winner, no, but who knows? He has offensive instincts you can't teach, speed you can't teach, and hands to match his wheels. Now he's a defenseman after all, so he will need to REALLY improve this area of his game. He was skating with Vanelli at first and it was ugly. I think that was mostly because of Dunn, because once Vanelli skated with Schmaltz it was a complete 180. But if his D can catch up to his offensive skill, he might be the one to eventually replace Shattenkirk, not Schmaltz or Vanelli but Dunn!

Does anyone know who was the goalie wearing the brown pads? He was a smaller guy, but he was very scrappy, love seeing that in goalies. Husso was VERY polished. He was quick, square and quite. Which are some of the most important qualities in a goalie, at least to me ;). Appleby did really well, but I don't know if the Blues will sign him, we already have too many guys and not enough nets. I guess he could displace Lundstrom in the ECHL, but I don't know where else we could put him. He was the 2nd best goalie in the group.

Milkkola-I liked what I saw, he's got good size and was a fluid skater. He does have a miserable shot, but of skills needed, that one can be learned. He was one of the few that actually threw his weight around, skated with his head up and made mostly clean exit passes. Looks like a Blues type D prospect.

Tschantz-he was a big boy, would be a nice player as a 4th line energy player with a little skill to boot.

I don't really know much about Selman, but I really liked what I saw. He looked older than most of the guys, so I'm assuming he was an invite, but he showed real hustle and a good amount of skill. Made some real nice passes, I think he's a center(?), he played like a center. I don't know much about him, and he looks like he may already be at or near his ceiling, but the kid could play. I hope the Blues give him a chance, they need all the center prospects they can get. He was on the smaller size, but he showed a lot more than Barbashev did today. Granted Barbs is an under the radar type player, I've likened him to Stastny recently because he isn't flashy but makes the right play and is defensively responsible. But hey, for free Selman would be a great addition to the pool.

Got over to camp yesterday and I agree with Meatwagon

Fabbri and Parayko and look like the real deal. They were definitely a level above the rest.

MacEachern played a mature game in the scrimmage, he had a lot of energy, cycled the puck well, battled along the boards and in the corners. If he keeps developing, he could become a great energy guy on the 3rd line. Some of the prospects tried to get a little to fancy with the extra ice of 4-on-4 and 3-on-3 but Mac played a more simple game that's effective.

Dunn is raw but has those unteachable tools to make him a good player. He has good hockey sense, sick hands, and a speedy skater. His D positioning was a bit poor but I think he's got the hockey sense and skills to refine his D-zone skills.

I disagree with Meat on Milkkola, he's got good size and a decent skater but his play with the puck is poor. He didn't puckhandle well and his passing was a bit off. He's a long way from NHL ready but easily something he can work on. If he did make the NHL, he's likely a defensive D-man possibly like Polak.

I was underwhelmed by Barbashev, he has good hockey sense and can finish well but at times he disappeared. Also physically he looked like a boy compared to a number of our other prospects. To be an NHL-ready prospect he's going to have to hit the gym. Smaller guys can be successful in the NHL today but those "little guys" are often the most physically fit on their teams.

I also liked Descheneau's game. He's another undersized speedy F with good hockey sense. He played bigger than his size and contributed offensively.

Schmaltz played a strong game on D, he wasn't flashy but made solid plays. Probably the second best D prospect after Parayko.

After that the other prospects are long-range prospects and/or future minor leaguers.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Interesting that everyone says Barbashev looks like he needs to bulk up so much because I thought the opposite when watching him in international tournaments. I wonder if that says more about the average size of the Blues' current prospect pool because he was often one of the thicker, sturdier players at the WJC and super series. Yes, that's compared with his age group, but he absolutely looked like one of the most physically NHL-ready players among them.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Barbashev definitely has a tendency to disappear, I noticed that quite a bit in the WJC's.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Barbashev definitely has a tendency to disappear, I noticed that quite a bit in the WJC's.

I didn't. He was always one of the most involved and effective players. There were times when his team was getting dismantled, though, and he was constantly playing defense, but that wasn't about Barbashev.

High n Wide

Feb 24, 2015
St. Louis

I haven't had a chance to watch him game to game if that's what you're referring to, but I definitely agree in terms of how he plays with and without the puck. His off the puck play leaves a lot to be desired, but man he can make a play out of nothing when he has it.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I haven't had a chance to watch him game to game if that's what you're referring to, but I definitely agree in terms of how he plays with and without the puck. His off the puck play leaves a lot to be desired, but man he can make a play out of nothing when he has it.

I guess we'll just have to see how these players' games translate to a higher level because this is not the Barbashev I've seen play at all. His play off the puck is pretty solid. He checks well, back-checks hard, and has good positioning through the middle of the ice to clog lanes. And he's not really a player with Tarasenko's magical ability to make something out of nothing, his style is more like Bergeron.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
He played a ton in Moncton. Watching him there I didn't see much coasting till towards the end if the game after he played what seemed like every other shift

High n Wide

Feb 24, 2015
St. Louis
I guess we'll just have to see how these players' games translate to a higher level because this is not the Barbashev I've seen play at all. His play off the puck is pretty solid. He checks well, back-checks hard, and has good positioning through the middle of the ice to clog lanes. And he's not really a player with Tarasenko's magical ability to make something out of nothing, his style is more like Bergeron.

Well like I said, my opinion there was only based on seeing him the one time at the Prospect Camp so I'm sure it wasn't completely indicative of his normal game. I don't watch much (any) of him so your opinion is much more insightful. I'm glad to hear that about him, though.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Well like I said, my opinion there was only based on seeing him the one time at the Prospect Camp so I'm sure it wasn't completely indicative of his normal game. I don't watch much (any) of him so your opinion is much more insightful. I'm glad to hear that about him, though.

I've seen a handful of streamed Wildcats games and I've seen him each time in the WJC and super series. That's not a lot, but, yea, I hope it's a better indicator than prospect camp. Highlights don't tell the whole story, but there are some good Barbashev highlight packages on youtube, too.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
BIG THING TO KEEP IN MIND AT THESE CAMPS.

The age difference of the players is pretty huge. You have guys that are 21, 22 with kids that are 17/18. Experience, confidence and pure amount of time played is huge.

The really cool thing is when you see someone like Fabbri who is dominant at age 19.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
So from what i'm reading, sound like the consensus is you guys are high on Selman. I don't think he's reached his ceiling and i'm not saying this because I knew him as a kid but because I caught some U of M games and have followed him throughout NCAA career, he missed time Sophomore season and each season has produced more offensively and improve his work in the circle.

I'm predicting he is ~PPG his Senior yr and would be stoked to see StL bring him into their organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad