St. Louis Blues media - NHL softest?

Mar 6, 2012
Good news. I know some people don't like Pang, but I do. I think he's a great color guy.

You need him to offset John Kelly, who is about as dull and dry as they get. I've warmed up to Kelly over the years (absolutely hated him at first)... but yeah, Kelly... while okay at calling the action, is just so bland and vanilla. Yawn. Without Pang and all of his goofiness and enthusiasm, the Blues broadcasts would probably be unwatchable.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
When JR is currently now in his new site doing articles. Are there any other Blues writer whom articles I could read and are free.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Jim Thomas, Lou Korac, Jeff Jones. I dont know if JJ actually does articles...i just get a kick out of his tweets.

JRs new articles are worth the money, all the other top notch guys are just an extreme bonus.

Reactions: RoarBacon

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Jim Thomas, Lou Korac, Jeff Jones. I dont know if JJ actually does articles...i just get a kick out of his tweets.

JRs new articles are worth the money, all the other top notch guys are just an extreme bonus.
Agreed that JR's new articles are definitely worth the money. I believe it cost like $42 for a full year. All the other excellent content on The Athletic, particularly from Corey Pronman about prospects and Justin Bourne about X's and O's, is just icing on the cake. Well worth the money IMO.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Agreed that JR's new articles are definitely worth the money. I believe it cost like $42 for a full year. All the other excellent content on The Athletic, particularly from Corey Pronman about prospects and Justin Bourne about X's and O's, is just icing on the cake. Well worth the money IMO.

Agreed. JR’s increased freedom to explore deeper issues and not just cover basic stuff and write game stories has really resulted in some quality content. And yes, lots of other good writers at the Athletic too. In addition to the guys you mentioned, I’ve been enjoying Tyler Dellow’s advanced stats breakdown articles too.

JT took over for JR at the Post but Gordo has been doing plenty too lately as JT gets up to speed. Gordo took over the Friday chats for instance and is doing one right now. I typically don’t read stuff from either of those guys though and if the article is from Ortiz I definitely don’t bother clicking on it.

Strick doesn’t really write anything but he’s a good twitter follow.

Reactions: stl76

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

I haven't ever liked JR's or his writing. I need to check out Jim Thomas and Jeff Jones. Dindn't remember Thomas at name so ty for that. Jeff Jones is totally new one for me.

Uuh Pronman writing there, that changes everything, his vision and writing is top notch, what I remember.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Agreed. JR’s increased freedom to explore deeper issues and not just cover basic stuff and write game stories has really resulted in some quality content. And yes, lots of other good writers at the Athletic too. In addition to the guys you mentioned, I’ve been enjoying Tyler Dellow’s advanced stats breakdown articles too.

JT took over for JR at the Post but Gordo has been doing plenty too lately as JT gets up to speed. Gordo took over the Friday chats for instance and is doing one right now. I typically don’t read stuff from either of those guys though and if the article is from Ortiz I definitely don’t bother clicking on it.

Strick doesn’t really write anything but he’s a good twitter follow.
I cringe every time Jim Thomas asks a question in the post game interview. He seems like a nice guy, but it's clearly evident from the types of things he asks about that he has zero hockey knowledge. It bothers me a bit TBH. Just wasting the coaches'/players' time.

At one point the JT asked Yeo if it was usual for players to skate hard at the end of practice...c'mon, you can google that or ask a pee wee player. No need to ask an NHL coach about it.

I read one of Gordo's chats and it was pretty good. I actually asked him about Stephen Dhillon (lol). Gordo took the time to answer, but I don't think he had ever heard of the guy before. Which, in fairness, most reporters haven't heard of Stephen Dhillon haha

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I haven't ever liked JR's or his writing. I need to check out Jim Thomas and Jeff Jones. Dindn't remember Thomas at name so ty for that. Jeff Jones is totally new one for me.

Uuh Pronman writing there, that changes everything, his vision and writing is top notch, what I remember.
JR has gotten alot better with this new job. I barely read anything he wrote anymore before the switch. And yes CP is worth it alone, Bob Mackenzie too.

The Athletic really pulled a coup.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I cringe every time Jim Thomas asks a question in the post game interview. He seems like a nice guy, but it's clearly evident from the types of things he asks about that he has zero hockey knowledge. It bothers me a bit TBH. Just wasting the coaches'/players' time.

At one point the JT asked Yeo if it was usual for players to skate hard at the end of practice...c'mon, you can google that or ask a pee wee player. No need to ask an NHL coach about it.

I read one of Gordo's chats and it was pretty good. I actually asked him about Stephen Dhillon (lol). Gordo took the time to answer, but I don't think he had ever heard of the guy before. Which, in fairness, most reporters haven't heard of Stephen Dhillon haha

I remember the Dhillon question. Figured it was you since you were talking about him a lot on here that week too! I mean, who else was going to ask a random Dhillon question?

Agreed on JT and I recall Yeo looking at him annoyingly early on in the season at some of his Qs. The little of him I’ve read, it’s clear he’s a professional writer but it’s also clear he’s a hocmey noob. Unless someone in management tells him something that’s noteworthy, I don’t see the point in reading his stuff. It’s not like he’s going to have any amazing insight on some play.

Agree with Dbrownss that JRs Athletic stuff is much better than it was at the PD. It’s not like he magically became a better writer. It’s just that the chains of being a beat writer are off. He was forced to write to the casual fan level of depth before. Now he’s writing to a more diehard approach. A lot more depth.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
I remember the Dhillon question. Figured it was you since you were talking about him a lot on here that week too! I mean, who else was going to ask a random Dhillon question?

Agreed on JT and I recall Yeo looking at him annoyingly early on in the season at some of his Qs. The little of him I’ve read, it’s clear he’s a professional writer but it’s also clear he’s a hocmey noob. Unless someone in management tells him something that’s noteworthy, I don’t see the point in reading his stuff. It’s not like he’s going to have any amazing insight on some play.

Agree with Dbrownss that JRs Athletic stuff is much better than it was at the PD. It’s not like he magically became a better writer. It’s just that the chains of being a beat writer are off. He was forced to write to the casual fan level of depth before. Now he’s writing to a more diehard approach. A lot more depth.

Who else indeed haha

A2A9NLW.png

http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Blues_chat_with_Jeff_Gordon_10?Page=1

Kreegz2

Dec 11, 2011
I like Panger and agree JK is bland.

We should get Gary Thorn. That guy is a real beauty.

Just bring back Ken Wilson. He could make a 5-0 game sound like the end of the world

Realistically though, I doubt the Blues get rid of JK before he feels his time is up. He's too entrenched and has the family connection to the organization. It would be pretty bad optics to get rid of him.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I haven’t made the jump to the Athletic. How often do articles come out and how easy is it to find them/navigate the site?

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I haven’t made the jump to the Athletic. How often do articles come out and how easy is it to find them/navigate the site?
Rutherford posts almost daily. I don't think he's gone two consecutive days without uploading an article. Not sure how frequent others post, but I'd say 3-4 articles a week is the minimum.

Navigating the site is quite simple IMO. Clean layout, and you can select specific teams you want to follow.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Rutherford posts almost daily. I don't think he's gone two consecutive days without uploading an article. Not sure how frequent others post, but I'd say 3-4 articles a week is the minimum.

Navigating the site is quite simple IMO. Clean layout, and you can select specific teams you want to follow.
Can you follow writers or just teams?

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
We have few media persons who understand hockey, the NHL or who care to closely follow the Blues.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Hmm, who was the guy in HFboard Blues member who writed articles? I only remember he was young and get bashed up right away. :deadhorse

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Hmm, who was the guy in HFboard Blues member who writed articles? I only remember he was young and get bashed up right away. :deadhorse

I assume you’re referring to Saraj something or other. Toronto area college kid that somehow got hired to be the Blues writer on hockeysfuture.com even though it was pretty clear he couldn’t have seen too many of our prospects actually play (Rattie is the best skater of all of the Blues prospects you guys!) That site is no longer updated though.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I assume you’re referring to Saraj something or other. Toronto area college kid that somehow got hired to be the Blues writer on hockeysfuture.com even though it was pretty clear he couldn’t have seen too many of our prospects actually play (Rattie is the best skater of all of the Blues prospects you guys!) That site is no longer updated though.

I think he is referring to kid who writes for Last Word on hockey. I don't think the writer actually posts here. The website has a HF partner account and posts articles for all teams. Last Word made a thread to post an article that was submitted to its site. Said article was bashed as it had inaccuracies. Someone later revealed it was written by a kid, as if that changed the level of insight of the article.

Here is the post. It was re: Beau Bennet signing. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/134838999/

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I think he is referring to kid who writes for Last Word on hockey. I don't think the writer actually posts here. The website has a HF partner account and posts articles for all teams. Last Word made a thread to post an article that was submitted to its site. Said article was bashed as it had inaccuracies. Someone later revealed it was written by a kid, as if that changed the level of insight of the article.

Here is the post. It was re: Beau Bennet signing. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/134838999/
The best part of that thread are the last two posts of people saying Jasking and Upshall are awful. :laugh:

They both have been pretty good this season. I never get why 4th and 3rd liners get trashed for not putting up 1st line numbers.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
The best part of that thread are the last two posts of people saying Jasking and Upshall are awful. :laugh:

They both have been pretty good this season. I never get why 4th and 3rd liners get trashed for not putting up 1st line numbers.

They both sucks, but Usphall bring in the table more versatile performance then Jaskin, PK'er + locker room guy.

I was maybe the only guy who liked when we signed Upshall. Do I need to bring up that post? Jaskin in other hand is garbage, he's just there, like Sundqvist, Bennett, Pääjärvi etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->