Tribute St.Louis Blues all time team, what would your look like?

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Demitra - Oates - Hull
Shanahan - Federko - Tarasenko
Sutter - ROR - Perron
Courtnall - Backes - Schenn
Ex: Unger, Mullen

Pronger-MacInnis
Stevens-Pietrangelo
Barclay Plager - Parayko
Ex: Brown

Plante
Binnington
Liut

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
i like a 4th line of Durbano Chase Twist
and have Noel Picard along with Gassoff on defense

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
we can just force the other teams to react to our forward thinking :)
just in case, my third line might have to be Patey Steen and Meagher
great penalty killers and could play two way hockey against top lines

Kind Sir

Dec 19, 2013
Shanahan - Oates - Hull
Sutter - Federko - Mullen
Steen-Turgeon - Tarasenko
Tkachuck- Gilmour - Courtnall

Pronger - MacGinnis
Plager - Plager
Stevens - Pietrangelo

Plante
Cujo

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I disagree wholeheartedly. We should judge the player by the quality of his play while with The Blues. If the player played at least a full season with The Blues, he should be eligible - like Scott Stevens. Wayne Gretzky only played 14 regular season games for The Blues. So, maybe that, alone should disqualify him. But he was at the tail end of his career, and just a shadow of his prime abilities. So, his Blues' play, although decent, wouldn't make him one of the top 4 Blues' centres at their peak level as a Blue in any case. Glen Hall played 4 full seasons with The Blues, and his playing level in his first year with them (67-68) was as good as ANY Blues' goalie at his peak with this team. Both Hall and Plante played just about that same level the next season (68-69), and Hall's level was somewhat lower in 69-70, but still very high. I'd pick Hall and Plante as their 2 best, with Liut just a hare below (and he was excellent for them for a long time. Binnington started off great, but has shown some "coming down to Earth" this season.

So-Here's my list:

Shanahan-Oates-Hull
Turgeon-Unger-Demitra
B.Sutter-Berenson-Tarasenko
Mullen/Federko-O'Reilly-Gilmore

Pronger - MacInnis
Stevens-Pietrangelo
Ramage-Parayko/B.Plager

Plante
Hall/Liut

Bowman/Berube

Some of the forwards are out of position, but I wanted to put the 12 best on the team. It was difficult to leave so many great Blues off. But, I believe these were the most valuable Blues at the peak of their games as a Blues' player. These AREN'T the Blues who helped the team the most careerwise, which would add Bob Plager,

I'm fine leaving Gretzky off based on his short stint here, but I disagree that his level of play while here wasn't good enough to crack the lineup. He had 21 points in 18 regular season games with the Blues. He had 16 points in 13 playoff games with the Blues, which was good for 37 points in 31 games. That is a 97.8 point pace over 82 games. And that isn't just a small sample size. He had 102 points in 80 regular season games that year including the games he played with the Kings. That was good for 12th in the league that season, which is a higher spot than Unger ever reached with the Blues.

Compared to his prime? Yeah, he was just a shadow of his prime abilities. But his prime was a 200 point player. Just because he wasn't prime Gretzky doesn't mean he was some scrub. Again, I'm not saying you have to put Gretzky on the list and i would probably leave him off mine based on the amount of time he was here. My point is just that I've noticed a general attitude that Gretzky was just some average player by the time the Blues got him. He wasn't prime Gretzky anymore and he wasn't the best player in the league any more. But he was still an elite player.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm going to limit my list to players who I have memories of watching live games of while I was alive. I can appreciate the history/legacy of the franchise and I can look at stats from before I was alive, but I can't pretend I have any real connection to those players. My list is also based as much on fanhood as it is their actual talent/impact to the franchise. No particular order:

C: Oates, O'Reilly, Janney, Backes
RW: Hull, Tarasenko, Demitra, Perron
LW: Tkachuk, Kariya, Schwartz, Courtnall
D: Mac, Pronger, Petro, Parayko, Jax, J-Bo
G: Cujo and Fuhr

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'm fine leaving Gretzky off based on his short stint here, but I disagree that his level of play while here wasn't good enough to crack the lineup. He had 21 points in 18 regular season games with the Blues. He had 16 points in 13 playoff games with the Blues, which was good for 37 points in 31 games. That is a 97.8 point pace over 82 games. And that isn't just a small sample size. He had 102 points in 80 regular season games that year including the games he played with the Kings. That was good for 12th in the league that season, which is a higher spot than Unger ever reached with the Blues.

Compared to his prime? Yeah, he was just a shadow of his prime abilities. But his prime was a 200 point player. Just because he wasn't prime Gretzky doesn't mean he was some scrub. Again, I'm not saying you have to put Gretzky on the list and i would probably leave him off mine based on the amount of time he was here. My point is just that I've noticed a general attitude that Gretzky was just some average player by the time the Blues got him. He wasn't prime Gretzky anymore and he wasn't the best player in the league any more. But he was still an elite player.
My lasting memory of him as a Blue is turning puck over leading to Yzerman series-winning goal. So if you played less than half a season and defining moment is being posterized, hard to rank you as a franchise great.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'm going to limit my list to players who I have memories of watching live games of while I was alive. I can appreciate the history/legacy of the franchise and I can look at stats from before I was alive, but I can't pretend I have any real connection to those players. My list is also based as much on fanhood as it is their actual talent/impact to the franchise. No particular order:

C: Oates, O'Reilly, Janney, Backes
RW: Hull, Tarasenko, Demitra, Perron
LW: Tkachuk, Kariya, Schwartz, Courtnall
D: Mac, Pronger, Petro, Parayko, Jax, J-Bo
G: Cujo and Fuhr
Not sure how vivid your memories of Janney are if you rank him as a franchise great.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Not sure how vivid your memories of Janney are if you rank him as a franchise great.
He was a 100+ point center that had more points than Brett Hull when I was a kid starting to get into hockey. He followed up that performance with 84 points in 69 games, which was on pace for another 100 point season. Overll in his 186 games with the Blues he scored at a 1.25 point per game pace. I'm all ears to hear about all the better center performances this franchise has seen between then and now (besides ROR and Backes who are already on my list).

But beyond that, there is a reason that I included this sentence in my post: "My list is also based as much on fanhood as it is their actual talent/impact to the franchise." Care to venture a guess what I meant by that?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
no Shanahan?
That is 100% because he was a gigantic asshole the few times I met him as a kid. Each interaction I had with him is worse than any other interaction I've ever had with a pro athlete. Like I said, my list is based as much on my personal fandom as much as actual talent/ability. Those are my favorite 4 LWs over my life as a Blues fan.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
That was actually my guess
I was never a fan either and Quinn and Sutter hosed us with that signing as Stevens was a greater need than another scorer on that team

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I'm deciding to do a list of players that I witnessed play instead of listing off some all time greats that I don't have any personal attachment to. I started watching hockey in 2006, and Blues hockey a little afterwards. It's also strictly how much I liked the player. As result, here is what I have:

Paul Kariya - Ryan O'Reilly - Vladimir Tarasenko
Jaden Schwartz - Brayden Schenn - Andy McDonald
Alex Steen - David Backes - TJ Oshie
Patrik Berglund - Keith Tkachuk - David Perron

H.M. Ryan Reaves, Brad Boyes, Vladimir Sobotka, Robert Thomas, Robby Fabbri

Vince Dunn - Alex Pietrangelo
Jay Bouwmeester - Colton Parayko
Mike Weaver - Kevin Shattenkirk

H.M. Joel Edmundson, Roman Polak, Robert Bortuzzo

Brian Elliott
Jordan Binnington

H.M. Jaroslav Halak, Chris Mason​

The only thing I will add is that I'm imagining Kariya feeding Tarasenko and the thought is glorious.

Last edited:

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Shanahan - Oates - Hull
Bartechko - Hanzus - Demitra
Pellerin - Conroy - Atchenum
Twist - Reaves - Chase

Pronger - MacInnis
Brown - Pietrangelo
Dushesne - Parayko

Binnington
Joseph
This post legit made me laugh out loud.

Bollocks to the 'minimum three season with the team' nonsense, that was not how the OP put it, start your own thread.

I would want a lineup to score 20 goals and get 200 PIMs every game.

Gretzky-Hull-Oates
Shanahan-Gilmour-Federko
Mullen-Ronning-Demitra
Brind’Amour-Tkachuk-Tikkanen

MacInnis-Stevens
Ramage-Bouwmeester
Plager-Bourgeois

(Blues are way too deep at goalies, I don't think I can pick just two)
Fuhr
Cujo
Binnington
Plante
Hall
Brodeur
Liut

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Spot on concerning Duchesne, Robb! I remember having many arguments with fellow Blues fans about it, but I hated the trade that brought Duchesne to the Blues! Ron Sutter, Bob Bassen and Garth Butcher were all role players, but that trade ripped the heart out of that version of the St, Louis Blues. It was one of those weird trades where we absolutely got the best player, but it didn't necessarily make the team better. Like I said, mine was a very unpopular opinion at the time, and still might be, but I stand by it.
Im 99% positive I saw an interview Kelly Chase gave where he said the exact same thing.

Reactions: simon IC

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Kariya Gretzky Turgeon
Shanahan Oates Hull
Hawerchuk Gilmour Tarasenko
Brind’Amour Federko Tkachuk

Pronger MacInnis
Stevens Pietrangelo
Housley Parayko

Brodeur
Binnington

Bowman / Berube

Caron / Armstrong
No comment on the players, but just the thought of Army and Caron working together makes me smile. Just polar opposites in a lot of ways, but both like to swing big trades.

Reactions: Spektre

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
There was a thread on the main boards a while ago, and this was my lineup for the Blues post 1990 dream team:

Kariya - Gretzky - Tarasenko
Shanahan - Oates - Hull
Demitra - Turgeon - Mullen
Gilmour - O'Reilly - Brind'Amour

HM: Tkachuk

Pronger - MacInnis
Stevens - Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester - Parayko

Brodeur
Joseph

If we are going all time, I would make a couple changes for sure:
Hall instead of Cujo
Federko in for Mullen or Demitra (probably Mullen, just out of love and respect for Pavol)
Harvey instead of Bouwmeester
Probably try work Stastny Sr. in there as well...

For the record, I am just trying to make the best line up of players, not necessarily counting their performance (length or quality) as a Blue into account. But then a guy like Demitra is in there mostly for nostalgia soooo guess you could say my list is flawed lol

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I disagree wholeheartedly. We should judge the player by the quality of his play while with The Blues. If the player played at least a full season with The Blues, he should be eligible - like Scott Stevens. Wayne Gretzky only played 14 regular season games for The Blues. So, maybe that, alone should disqualify him. But he was at the tail end of his career, and just a shadow of his prime abilities. So, his Blues' play, although decent, wouldn't make him one of the top 4 Blues' centres at their peak level as a Blue in any case. Glen Hall played 4 full seasons with The Blues, and his playing level in his first year with them (67-68) was as good as ANY Blues' goalie at his peak with this team. Both Hall and Plante played just about that same level the next season (68-69), and Hall's level was somewhat lower in 69-70, but still very high. I'd pick Hall and Plante as their 2 best, with Liut just a hair below (and he was excellent for them for a long time. Binnington started off great, but has shown some "coming down to Earth" this season.

So-Here's my list:

Shanahan-Oates-Hull
Turgeon-Unger-Demitra
B.Sutter-Berenson-Tarasenko
Mullen/Federko-O'Reilly-Gilmore

Pronger - MacInnis
Stevens-Pietrangelo
Ramage-Parayko/B.Plager

Plante
Hall/Liut

Bowman/Berube

Some of the forwards are out of position, but I wanted to put the 12 best on the team. It was difficult to leave so many great Blues off. But, I believe these were the most valuable Blues at the peak of their games as a Blues' player. These AREN'T the Blues who helped the team the most careerwise, which would add Bob Plager,

I don’t mind your team, but u can’t be serious about leaving big Walt out

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
We should do an all time garbage team of guys who for whatever reason had significant roles at some point in a blue note.

Brewer- Backman

would Probly be the top D-pair lmao

maybe find spots for Curtis Sanford, Martin Rucinsky( remember how much we hated him towards the end lol) Peter cajanek, BJ crombeen, Matt D’agostini, Eric Boguniecki, Sasha khavanov, etc....etc.......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->