Tribute St.Louis Blues all time team, what would your look like?

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
St.Louis Blues all time team, what would your look like?
Sutter Gretzky Hull
Steen Federko Shanahan
Demitra Turgeon Tarasenko
Tkachuk O'Reilly Backes
Pronger McInnis
Harvey Pietrangelo
Housley Parayko
Plante
CuJo

HM. Hawerchuk, Gilmour, Shartenkirk for me

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
St.Louis Blues all time team, what would your look like?
Sutter Gretzky Hull
Steen Federko Shanahan
Demitra Turgeon Tarasenko
Tkachuk O'Reilly Backes
Pronger McInnis
Harvey Pietrangelo
Housley Parayko
Plante
CuJo

HM. Hawerchuk, Gilmour, Shartenkirk for me
Some of those guys were great players but not great Blues. Housley in particular disgraced the Note with his play. Gretzky was here for like 2 months. Feels wrong to put guys like that on Blues all time team, no matter how great their overall career.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mud the ACAS

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Some of those guys were great players but not great Blues. Housley in particular disgraced the Note with his play. Greta was here for like 2 months. Feels wrong to put guys like that on Blues all time team, no matter how great their overall career.
I agree. Gretzky shouldn't count. He will make the top of every list just because of who he is, not what he did for the franchise.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I think a player should have to play a minimum of 3 full seasons to count.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
Shanahan - Oates - Hull
Bartechko - Hanzus - Demitra
Pellerin - Conroy - Atchenum
Twist - Reaves - Chase

Pronger - MacInnis
Brown - Pietrangelo
Dushesne - Parayko

Binnington
Joseph

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Hall and Fuhr as well
I disagree wholeheartedly. We should judge the player by the quality of his play while with The Blues. If the player played at least a full season with The Blues, he should be eligible - like Scott Stevens. Wayne Gretzky only played 14 regular season games for The Blues. So, maybe that, alone should disqualify him. But he was at the tail end of his career, and just a shadow of his prime abilities. So, his Blues' play, although decent, wouldn't make him one of the top 4 Blues' centres at their peak level as a Blue in any case. Glen Hall played 4 full seasons with The Blues, and his playing level in his first year with them (67-68) was as good as ANY Blues' goalie at his peak with this team. Both Hall and Plante played just about that same level the next season (68-69), and Hall's level was somewhat lower in 69-70, but still very high. I'd pick Hall and Plante as their 2 best, with Liut just a hair below (and he was excellent for them for a long time. Binnington started off great, but has shown some "coming down to Earth" this season.

So-Here's my list:

Shanahan-Oates-Hull
Turgeon-Unger-Demitra
Tkachuk/B.Sutter-Berenson-Tarasenko
Mullen-O'Reilly/Federko-Gilmore

Pronger - MacInnis
Stevens-Pietrangelo
Ramage-Parayko/B.Plager

Plante
Hall/Liut

Bowman/Berube

Some of the forwards are out of position, but I wanted to put the 12 best on the team. It was difficult to leave so many great Blues off. But, I believe these were the most valuable Blues at the peak of their games as a Blues' player. These AREN'T the Blues who helped the team the most careerwise, which would add Bob Plager,

Last edited:

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I’m gonna stay away from players pre 1990 as I don’t really feel to qualified to judge their play. This team is heavily biased by players who I liked the most as well.

Tkachuk - Oates - Hull
Demitra - Turgeon - Tarasenko
Schwartz - ROR - Shannahan
Perron - Backes - Oshie

Pronger - Macinnis
Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
Shattenkirk - Parayko

Binnington
Elliot

ROR and Binnington are new but given recent circumstances regarding breaking a drought I’ve accepted them as long term members. A lot of hard omissions from the list as well I found

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Anderson -Gretzky-Federko
Shanahan - Oates - Hull
Moore - Gilmour - Tkachuk
Kariya - Stastny Sr. - Hawerchuk

Pronger - MacInnis
Lapointe - Harvey
Stevens - Housley

Brodeur

Everyone at their career peak
Don't @ me

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
Out of curiosity I wanted to see what a roster would look like comprised ONLY of players who have played more games for the Blues than any other franchise.

B. Sutter - Federko - Hull
Berenson - Turgeon - Demitra
Courtnall - Unger - Tarasenko
Steen - Backes - Young

Schwartz
Perron

Pronger - Pietrangelo
Ba. Plager - Parayko
Bouwmeester - J. Brown

Bo. Plager/Ramage/Cavallini/Jackman

Joseph
Liut

Not as good as I'd hoped(only 3 HoFers), but not bad. The Blues' habit of cycling through players in the 80's and 90's hurts this roster.

Reactions: dutchblues

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I'm using the all time, but minimum one season model. So :
  • B. Sutter - Oates - Hull
  • Unger -Berenson -Shanahan
  • Backes - Federko - Tarasenko
  • Tkachuk -O'Reilly - Turgeon
  • Pronger - MacInnis
  • Stevens - Pietrangelo
  • Ba. Plager - Parayko
  • Hall
  • Liut

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I hate these things because I always leave someone out, accidentally or on purpose, who deserves to be there. Still, here we go...

F: Federko, Unger, Berenson, Oates, Shanahan, Hull, Sutter, Tarasenko, Babych, Pettersson, Demitra, Tkachuk, Lefley, Mullen

D: Pronger, MacInnis, B Plager, R Plager, Pietrangelo, Stevens, Brown

G: Hall, Liut

HM: ROR, Backes, Oshie, Gilmour, Arbour, Gassoff, Roberts, Binnington, CuJo, Fuhr

Edit 4/7/2020 - See, not even 24 hours later and I realize that I left Shanahan off my list! :mad:

Last edited:

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
All-time and even up until the mid 90’s is hard for me, because I didn’t really get to watch those players at all.

I ended up doing a last 20 seasons one after reading this(it’s the seasons I really actually remember), and the convo comparing the 99-00 team and the 18-19 team in another thread.

Demitra-Turgeon-Tarasenko
Tkachuk-O’Reilly-Backes
Steen-Weight-Young
MacDonald-Schenn-Oshie
Schwartz, Perron

Pronger-MacInnis
Jackman-Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester-Parayko
Shattenkirk

Binnington
Elliott/Allen

I tried to put players who were here for at least 2 years.

Last edited:

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Players not listed in any particular order.

Forwards - Hull, Oates, B. Sutter, Unger, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Demitra, Berenson, Federko, Mullen, Gilmour, Shanahan

Defense - Pronger, MacInnis, Pietrangelo, Brown, Bob Plager, Gassoff
Goal - Liut, Hall

HM
-- Tkachuk (I could put him in the top-12, but I also think his best days were before St. Louis and I don't know that he ever really stood out as "damn, he's outstanding" like guys noted above)
-- Binnington (I really want to put him on the team for backstopping us to the Cup, but damn ... I can't do that off just one year)
-- Babych (if he doesn't decide to try and fight and blow out his rotator cuff, who knows what kind of totals he puts up)
-- Larry Patey (totally underrated bottom-6 guy who excelled on the PK; if we're building a "complete" team, I'd want him on it)
-- Steen (going to finish way up on Blues all-time lists, but I can't push him into the top-12 forwards)
-- Backes (if we're talking heart and soul, he's on the team; all-time, though? Can't get him there)
-- Parayko (I see people putting him in the top-6; I get it, talent-wise he's probably better than Gassoff but I still think he's not using all of it plus he doesn't have the intangibles Gassoff had)

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Kariya Gretzky Turgeon
Shanahan Oates Hull
Hawerchuk Gilmour Tarasenko
Brind’Amour Federko Tkachuk

Pronger MacInnis
Stevens Pietrangelo
Housley Parayko

Brodeur
Binnington

Bowman / Berube

Caron / Armstrong

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
Not as good as I'd hoped(only 3 HoFers), but not bad. The Blues' habit of cycling through players in the 80's and 90's hurts this roster.

I've neglected to put a list together for this reason. I'm always torn between putting it based on how these players were with us, vs at their career peak. Because if it's the former, the only team that makes sense is the 2019 edition. If it's the latter, it's Hull + a bunch of Oilers + Brodeur; and maybe Gilmour.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Goaltending is Binnington all day. First rookie in the history of the league to win all the playoff games necessary to take home the Cup. His tandem netminder? Glenn Hall. Everyone else can go home.

Reactions: bluesXwinXtheXcup

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Sutter............Federko.............Mullen
Tkachuk........Oates.................Hull
Unger............Gilmour............Backes
Oshie.............Turgeon............Tarasenko

Stevens...........Pietrangelo
Pronger..........MacInnis
Duchesne.......Gassoff

Binnington
Hall
Liut

Very hard to do and have to omit great players like Berenson, Plagers, etc.

Reactions: bluesXwinXtheXcup

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Sutter............Federko.............Mullen
Tkachuk........Oates.................Hull
Unger............Gilmour............Backes
Oshie.............Turgeon............Tarasenko

Stevens...........Pietrangelo
Pronger..........MacInnis
Duchesne.......Gassoff

Binnington
Hall
Liut

Very hard to do and have to omit great players like Berenson, Plagers, etc.
You could get Barclay Plager (not to mention Rob Ramage, Bob Plager, and even a near 40 has been (Doug Harvey), onto that team, with NO problem, as they were ALL more solid, more valuable overall as defencemen for The Blues than was Steve Duschene (who was strictly an offensive player, and a defenceman's job is to play defence). Steve was a great power play QB, - no doubt about it. But, he was below par on defence. He was a Shattenkirk type, and VERY instrumental in Hull's and The Blues' 2nd line scoring tremendous amounts. But I don't feel he should be in a spot that pushes Barc Plager and Ramage out, considered that both of them were excellent on both defence, and offence. Also, Gassoff played well, and his tragic death cut short what certainly WOULD HAVE been a great career. But I don't think his short 3 years of tough, decent, but NOT all-star-level, play with The Blues, beats both Barc Plager's 6 or 7 years and Rob Ramage's 6 - years of all-star level play for The Blues. You could even make the case of putting Bob Plager ahead of both of them.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
You could get Barclay Plager (not to mention Rob Ramage, Bob Plager, and even a near 40 has been (Doug Harvey), onto that team, with NO problem, as they were ALL more solid, more valuable overall as defencemen for The Blues than was Steve Duschene (who was strictly an offensive player, and a defenceman's job is to play defence). Steve was a great power play QB, - no doubt about it. But, he was below par on defence. He was a Shattenkirk type, and VERY instrumental in Hull's and The Blues' 2nd line scoring tremendous amounts. But I don't feel he should be in a spot that pushes Barc Plager and Ramage out, considered that both of them were excellent on both defence, and offence. Also, Gassoff played well, and his tragic death cut short what certainly WOULD HAVE been a great career. But I don't think his short 3 years of tough, decent, but NOT all-star-level, play with The Blues, beats both Barc Plager's 6 or 7 years and Rob Ramage's 6 - years of all-star level play for The Blues. You could even make the case of putting Bob Plager ahead of both of them.

Completely forgot about Rammer. He was a warrior. You’re right, Ramage and a Plager belong on my 3rd pair instead of Duchesne and Gassoff. Good call Rob!! Thanks for setting me straight. Like I said, this is a tough exercise.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Spot on concerning Duchesne, Robb! I remember having many arguments with fellow Blues fans about it, but I hated the trade that brought Duchesne to the Blues! Ron Sutter, Bob Bassen and Garth Butcher were all role players, but that trade ripped the heart out of that version of the St, Louis Blues. It was one of those weird trades where we absolutely got the best player, but it didn't necessarily make the team better. Like I said, mine was a very unpopular opinion at the time, and still might be, but I stand by it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->