St. Louis and San Jose Watch (1st round picks)

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
In other words, you don't like the ROR trade so you're going to be irrational about the rest of it. This team is no worse talent-wise than any of the Murray teams, it's just got the worst coach in the league. That will get fixed after the season is over.
They have to fire the coach.....

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Yes, trading is a negotiation, and so far the guy has one trade that he's negotiated that was a clear win for the team in 2 seasons. He hasn't done well with most of his trades, including a massive talent blunder and almost all of his roster building moves for two straight years. His teams are worse than the teams designed to actually be bad -- he's got a #1 center, 3 quality top-6 forwards in prime production years, and an amazing blueline talent so no, he does not get a pass for anything.

The underlying purpose behind most of Botterill's trades were obvious. They were relatively cheap prices to pay for veterans to fill in the voids left by the previous slugs that populated the bottom six and Dcorps. He opted for fairly respected vets that would bring a professional atmosphere to the room, stabilize the room, as opposed to the constant fodder that had been churning in and out before then. All those moves were for was to buy time while he worked on shoring up the prospect pool and Rochester.

I just don't understand why this wasn't clear from the start. If you're so obviously unhappy about those moves, I'd love to know how you think Botterill would bring in better talent without having a flash-in-the-pan roster that made for a 2-3 year window before flaming out with lesser picks/prospects coming up behind. The Kane trade is a great example of my point. Why trade big assets for that guy when you (should) know damn well that while he's under contract with your team, the team is going to stink? Especially when that guy is about the big city and probably won't stay in Buffalo? It makes more sense to build up the drafted talent of the organization, and think about larger purchases when the depth is already there for a playoff run. I mean this in a respectful way, because I did this myself for a while...but why not just tune out for a couple years and come back when the team is ready to compete?

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
It's sort of ironic that at one point we didn't think we would end up with the St Louis 1st this year because it was going to be a top 10 lottery pick.

Same thing happened with Carolina, the other team we made a big trade with and felt justified by the results. (Obviously the Skinner trade is justified despite our record.) Some fans gloated on the main board about the standings halfway through the season.

Canes and Blues were losing teams when we were on top. The underlying stats showed all year that they both were good teams and the Sabres are not.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Looking at how hot the Blues are, and how easy their schedule is (5 or 6 of their last 7 against non-playoff teams), I don't see how that pick doesn't end up 20+.

Which means we are likely getting the SJ 1st. They have lost 5 straight but also have a very easy schedule to end. However, the league standings are very close and they could potentially drop to the tail end of the top-10 which will make that pick a little better.

A lot will depend on how STL and SJ do in the playoffs but that pick is likely 28+ (If either STL or SJ make final 4, which I think is VERY likely).

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Gonna be funny when the Blues pick is #31.
Their path through the playoffs is going to be brutal (could be Nashville-Winnipeg-SJ/CGY/VGK) but they're a top 5 NHL team IMO, they combine an efficient, dangerous-shot-focused offense with a top 3 defense in the NHL by any measure. As long as the goaltending stays afloat.

They could win a cup or lose in round 1, just because the teams at the top of that division are so good. (Though the stats don't like Winnipeg that much)

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Their path through the playoffs is going to be brutal (could be Nashville-Winnipeg-SJ/CGY/VGK) but they're a top 5 NHL team IMO, they combine an efficient, dangerous-shot-focused offense with a top 3 defense in the NHL by any measure. As long as the goaltending stays afloat.

They could win a cup or lose in round 1, just because the teams at the top of that division are so good. (Though the stats don't like Winnipeg that much)
That's not brutal. Nashville and Winnipeg are way worse than any of the top 3 Pacific teams. Of course hockey is random, but I really like their chances in that bracket. For my money they're the most well-rounded team in the West. No real weaknesses, and they've got all you need to win (1C, 1D, a gamebreaking offensive talent, good depth, and a goalie).

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Gonna be funny when the Blues pick is #31.

If the Blues pick is later than the Sharks - does the earlier of the 2 go to Anaheim ?

Or do they get the Blues pick regardless if its lower than 19??

Not that I really care at this point.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Tankathon | 2019 NHL Draft Order & Lottery Simulator

Looks like St. Louis’ recent 4 game win streak has pushed their pick to the #20 spot.

San Jose sits as #25 right now, so as much as I want the St. Louis pick, I won’t sweat it that much if the difference ends up being 5 spots.

Still hoping St. Louis ends up in the 16-19 range, but that’s not usually how buffalo luck works, so...

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

Looks like St. Louis’ recent 4 game win streak has pushed their pick to the #20 spot.

San Jose sits as #25 right now, so as much as I want the St. Louis pick, I won’t sweat it that much if the difference ends up being 5 spots.

Still hoping St. Louis ends up in the 16-19 range, but that’s not usually how buffalo luck works, so...

We just won the lottery for a generational Dman. We had an 80% chance to lose it. I'd say our luck has been pretty decent.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY

At this point it really doesn't matter...Anaheim takes the better of the two picks between STL and SJ, so our rooting interest should be to have the two picks as close together as possible so we're giving up the minimum value.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
At this point it really doesn't matter...Anaheim takes the better of the two picks between STL and SJ, so our rooting interest should be to have the two picks as close together as possible so we're giving up the minimum value.
I believe we keep the Blues pick if it’s under #20.
If it’s 20 or above it goes to Anaheim, assuming it’s better than the SJ pick.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
Just took a look at STL’s remaining schedule. We can definitely get that pick still. But it’ll probably be because it’s higher than SJS’s and Anaheim will take theirs.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
I believe we keep the Blues pick if it’s under #20.
If it’s 20 or above it goes to Anaheim, assuming it’s better than the SJ pick.

Correct. But almost no way the Blues finish below #20.

Best case, SJ continues to drop and somehow neither STL OR SJ make the WCF.

In all likelihood, the pick is 28-31. I'd be pretty shocked if it isn't.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Sharks lose again!

With Stl in a 4 way tie for 20th, I feel good that both picks are in the top 24 and the difference between the two will be 3-6 spots at most. Would be great to see stl finish with pick #18.

Reactions: Mitts888

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Rangers with a nice surprise 3-2 win over STL.

Another couple upset losses for teams facing St. Louis and we may get a top-20 pick afterall which would be nice.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
So let me get this straight, for i seem a bit slow to comprehend the logic behind which pick they can choose..

If the STL pick is #19 or lower (meaning STL stays right where they are or keeps falling in the standings), the Sabres keep the pick and ANA has to take the SJS pick?

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
So let me get this straight, for i seem a bit slow to comprehend the logic behind which pick they can choose..

If the STL pick is #19 or lower (meaning STL stays right where they are or keeps falling in the standings), the Sabres keep the pick and ANA has to take the SJS pick?
Correct. We need to be rooting for Teams like Col, Vegas, Nashville, Dallas, Montreal, Columbus and Carolina to push STLs pick back. All are hovering around 90 points.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Canes won and Montreal and CBJ are both up! Blues tied 2-2...we need Montreal and CBJ to hold on and the Devils to win in regulation. Dallas plays tonight who we also should root for.

Not that I expect the STL and SJ picks to be more then 4-5 picks apart but still...a late teens pick is much better then a mid 20s.

Lets finish 4th last and at least stand pat if not move up a few spots...winning #1 and getting Hughes would be the only thing to partially make up for this disaster of a second half.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad