St. Louis and San Jose Watch (1st round picks)

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
What you don't want to do is get into a situation like St. Louis had where we had a good core with no centers moving forward all around the age of 24-27, but then we had a gap to where the next core was 18-20 and not ready to step up. Thus, we did deals like Schenn and ROR where we gave away more picks just to fill in areas of need at the expense of keeping our youth filled with quality top 6/4 players. Luckily, we were able to trade players to get late picks back so they weren't completely left out of the first round, but those are players that are still a season or two away from making the leap.

I don't know the status of your main core, but since you have a lot of picks coming in the next two years, you can afford to move one or two of them to fill in areas of need without sacrificing the future nor wasting years of your current core waiting for draft picks to fall into areas of need.

The franchise is a nightmare...there is no analog to anything going on in St Louis, I wouldn’t try to find one.

Yes, it would be ideal to trade the picks for help now but we’d be looking for a player like ROR, whom we traded away to get the picks in the first place.

I just wouldn’t even bother asking. “It’s Chinatown, Jake....forget about it.”

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008
We are now in situation where St Louis could make playoffs, win a round and this picks becomes a 23.

Sorry, but if all that happens, unless we get a miracle pick — this deal for O’Reilly is an absolute disaster.

Teams draft pick does not get worse if they win one round of the playoffs. The only time it gets worse is if they make the conference final.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
We are now in situation where St Louis could make playoffs, win a round and this picks becomes a 23.

Sorry, but if all that happens, unless we get a miracle pick — this deal for O’Reilly is an absolute disaster.
Winning a round doesn't cause a draft pick to drop. It's only if a team manages to make it to the conference finals that their pick drops from where it would be solely based on the standings.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Teams draft pick does not get worse if they win one round of the playoffs. The only time it gets worse is if they make the conference final.
Winning a round doesn't cause a draft pick to drop. It's only if a team manages to make it to the conference finals that their pick drops from where it would be solely based on the standings.

There's much disastering to accomplish, please don't interfere with facts.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Wings fan coming in peace.

With Buffalo having three picks in the first round, is there any sense of whether the Sabres would be willing to trade down on one of them? I certainly hope Detroit sells at the deadline, and could see them maybe getting a late first rounder, and one or more extra 2nds/3rds.

If you guys end up with two picks in say, the 15-20 range...what's the price to move up about 10 slots (from, say, 25 to 15)? Or are they all simply off the table? Just doing some early theorycrafting on whether the Wings could finagle both a top 5 pick on a center, and another first rounder on a good defenseman.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010

The trade has been a disaster since day one. Nothing St Louis does from here on changes that.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

With Buffalo having three picks in the first round, is there any sense of whether the Sabres would be willing to trade down on one of them? I certainly hope Detroit sells at the deadline, and could see them maybe getting a late first rounder, and one or more extra 2nds/3rds.

If you guys end up with two picks in say, the 15-20 range...what's the price to move up about 10 slots (from, say, 25 to 15)? Or are they all simply off the table? Just doing some early theorycrafting on whether the Wings could finagle both a top 5 pick on a center, and another first rounder on a good defenseman.
From what I understand everything outside the top 10 is a total crapshoot so moving up from 25 to 15 would be pointless.

Reactions: 67Blues

MayDayMayDay

Out here doing time bandit shit...
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Hey, crap shoot or not, we stand to pick up three young assets who, if properly developed, stand to sustain our window for contending for a handful of years. I'm happy about that.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
From what I understand everything outside the top 10 is a total crapshoot so moving up from 25 to 15 would be pointless.
Broberg, Soderstrom, and York are all currently in the 10-15 area, and I'd be happy with any of them. At the moment, I have Byram as the clear #1 for defensemen, these guys as the second tier, and then everybody else.

But for the sake of discussion, you have 15 and I have 25. What's the add for me to move up?

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
There's much disastering to accomplish, please don't interfere with facts.

Apologies. Still based on their upward movement they could get to to 20th overall. Who knows, Maybe 23. They are red hot. It's looking pretty bad. I would actually think of moving one of the picks for a centre with some term with the proviso that Sabres keep the better of the two. The Blues pick is unlikely flipping to 2020. It all depends on what we could get, for sure. I'm happy to package the worst of these two picks with a Nylander to get a centre back with two years of term. We are trash down the middle right now.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Apologies. Still based on their upward movement they could get to to 20th overall. Who knows, Maybe 23. They are red hot. It's looking pretty bad. I would actually think of moving one of the picks for a centre with some term with the proviso that Sabres keep the better of the two. The Blues pick is unlikely flipping to 2020. It all depends on what we could get, for sure. I'm happy to package the worst of these two picks with a Nylander to get a centre back with two years of term. We are trash down the middle right now.

If they get too hot, let's just pool some money together and hire Jeff Gillooly to hang out by the locker room when O'Reilly comes out.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Moving from 15-18 to 26-31 in a deep draft will not happen unless you over pay.

To move down what do you think you need to add?

You are looking at at least that late 1st and Detroit’s early 2nd say in the high 30s.

Even then it depends on the draft depth and how players are scored.

If the draft has a clear too 20 then a cliff to those 21-40 it will never happen. If you had a group 15-40 that were pretty close then a team might do it.

Buffalo will not

If a team like buffalo felt they are getting better and the next 5 yrs they draft 23-31 then they aren’t trading picks in the teens.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Blues run has been pretty amazing, Can Binnington keep it up? I'd imagine they'll have a hiccup at some point, but coming off b2b wins v NSH, they now have an 'easier' 4 v NJ, ARI, COL & MIN before a matchup v TOR. Happy for STL fans, but not for our draft position.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
2018 NHL Entry Draft Transactions

It cost a 2nd rounder last year to move up from 26 to 22.

Rangers
Traded • 2018 first round pick (#26-Jacob Bernard-Docker) • 2018 second round pick (#48-Jonathan Tychonick) to Senators for • 2018 first round pick (#22-K'Andre Miller) on 2018-06-22

And it cost a 3rd to move up from 29 to 25

Maple Leafs
Traded • 2018 first round pick (#25-Dominik Bokk) to Blues for • 2018 first round pick (#29-Rasmus Sandin) • 2018 third round pick (#76-Semyon Der-Arguchintsev) on 2018-06-22

Reactions: jkutswings

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That website gives a good history of what picks have moved for at the draft.

It has been a long time since a top 10 pick was moved just for picks.

In 2016, it cost a 3rd to move from 12 to 11.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
That website gives a good history of what picks have moved for at the draft.

It has been a long time since a top 10 pick was moved just for picks.

In 2016, it cost a 3rd to move from 12 to 11.
Based on those transactions, going from 25 to 15 would at minimum cost another pair of 2nd rounders. Good to know.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
This got awfully disappointing real fast.

San Jose is one of the elite teams in the NHL, and St. Louis has won 10 straight.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->