St. Louis and San Jose Watch (1st round picks)

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Do you see three you like here ?
https://thehockeywriters.com/2019-nhl-draft-consensus-rankings-february/

Based solely on slot rankings

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
If it played out this way, give me Krebs at 11, but I don’t think he makes it that far. I probably take Seider at 14, although Newhook is hard to pass up there. At 25, I probably take McMichael, but Heinola is interesting too. It’s funny, if I can get a good player for that Sjs pick, I probably do. Draft gets thin right around there.

Reactions: ValJames

Sabrefan99

Jun 22, 2014
I’m wondering if the Blues finish out of the top 10, but win the lottery. Would the pick go to the Sabres?

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
The Blues are 1 point back of a playoff spot with 3 games in hand, though Colorado can change that to just 1 game in hand.

This is good news. I want that pick and I like that franchise

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The Blues are 1 point back of a playoff spot with 3 games in hand, though Colorado can change that to just 1 game in hand.

This is good news. I want that pick and I like that franchise

I don’t like them that much. They could finish with the 11th pick, thank you very much.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
What the Blues are doing is exactly why I wanted that pick this year even when they looked dead in the water earlier this season. Teams can remedy bad goaltending pretty quickly - the Blues found it in a guy many thought would simply be an AHL journeyman. Get the pick in the low-teens this season and get the player developing. Now, we just need the other WC wild card contenders to stop faltering and keep the Blues out of the playoffs.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
What the Blues are doing is exactly why I wanted that pick this year even when they looked dead in the water earlier this season. Teams can remedy bad goaltending pretty quickly - the Blues found it in a guy many thought would simply be an AHL journeyman. Get the pick in the low-teens this season and get the player developing. Now, we just need the other WC wild card contenders to stop faltering and keep the Blues out of the playoffs.
Not happening.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
It is starting to appear that you'll get our first this year. Binnington has really righted our goaltending issues in the past 12 games. Still wouldn't take this trade back though, ROR has been our MVP and I think you'll be happy drafting twice in a decent draft this year.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Both blues and sharks will be in the playoffs. So no need to talk about "two lotto picks". Only setting yourselves up for disappointment

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
You forgot the quotes around “genius”
I'm interested to see how you parlay your 3 picks which will probably all be in the high teens to low twenties (based on the current trajectories). Those types of players drafted at those positions are typically 2-3 seasons away from making an impact. Will Buffalo consider packaging some of them up for a player that fits into your core right now and continues your resurgence to take the next step next season?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'm interested to see how you parlay your 3 picks which will probably all be in the high teens to low twenties (based on the current trajectories). Those types of players drafted at those positions are typically 2-3 seasons away from making an impact. Will Buffalo consider packaging some of them up for a player that fits into your core right now and continues your resurgence to take the next step next season?

It's currently a point of discussion here on the board. There's a train of thought that says "Hey, this might be the last time we get a chance at multiple 1st rounders in a good long while....and we'll need those ELCs once we become legit contenders". Then there's another that says "Hey, these might be valuable and we might have a real opportunity to add to the core".

Who's to say what actually happens. I think most here would be OK trading one of the picks for someone signed relatively long term that fits into the core.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I'd keep them and pick the best you can get at that spot. Keep in mind the interesting body of work in favor of trading down to accumulate more picks. I think going the opposite direction only makes sense if you have a specific guy you really like that you will lose out on otherwise. But as a generic practice, I would not be planning to consolidate multiple firsts to try to move up. If you need a player that is ready NOW, then you should trade futures (including those picks) for an established guy in his prime or near prime.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I don't know about you guys but I'm not in the mood to completely waste the first SEVEN seasons of Jack's career. We need NHL quality players now, not 5 years from now.
I just think this is an extreme take that doesn't offer anything between NOW & 5 years from now. What about just 18 months from now? Using the 3 picks and having those picks develop doesnt preclude Botts from making other moves to bolster the roster whether in trades or UFA or the next wave coming from Rochester or Jr's or Europe. No Pommer, Sobotka, Sheary, Beaulieu, Bogo, Scandella, Hunwick. The only big raise RFA between now and then is likely Reinhart and Skinner UFA. There is still time to make moves and compete while still developing futures. We may not like it, but I can understand if thats the longview for Botts. Jack will be 24 with 6yrs left on his deal, Dahlin 20 with another year before RFA.

If we can find that right young player with some term to get for one or two of the firsts, I'm all for it, but it takes two to tango anf the fit has to be there for both clubs.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
We are now in situation where St Louis could make playoffs, win a round and this picks becomes a 23.

Sorry, but if all that happens, unless we get a miracle pick — this deal for O’Reilly is an absolute disaster.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
We are now in situation where St Louis could make playoffs, win a round and this picks becomes a 23.

Sorry, but if all that happens, unless we get a miracle pick — this deal for O’Reilly is an absolute disaster.
And remember that the guy who made that deal is who we are all supposed to have complete confidence will totally nail those picks.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
What you don't want to do is get into a situation like St. Louis had where we had a good core with no centers moving forward all around the age of 24-27, but then we had a gap to where the next core was 18-20 and not ready to step up. Thus, we did deals like Schenn and ROR where we gave away more picks just to fill in areas of need at the expense of keeping our youth filled with quality top 6/4 players. Luckily, we were able to trade players to get late picks back so they weren't completely left out of the first round, but those are players that are still a season or two away from making the leap.

I don't know the status of your main core, but since you have a lot of picks coming in the next two years, you can afford to move one or two of them to fill in areas of need without sacrificing the future nor wasting years of your current core waiting for draft picks to fall into areas of need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->