Stéphane Da Costa

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As someone bummed he signed with the Sens, what I've seen of him has been pretty pleasing so far, even if the Sens are going through their growing pains. He's got a good mind for the game, that's clear and he puts himself in among the trees to get his opportunities. The stick skills are clear and have translated well from college.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Him missing that empty net last night changed the game drastically.

If he hits that, I believe the score is 2-2 after the first...instead of 2-1 Colorado.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's close, but so far Da Costa's shown he may have this. Actually what Da Costa has done is shown he's more responsible with the puck then either.

Yeah Da Costa is really impressive. He's not physical but he can handle the physical play. He's not a monster defensively like Greening, but he is very slick with his stick and is usually positioned quite soundly so that causes a bunch of turnovers and takeaways. On top of this his passing is top notch and he has incredible vision.

As you say though...it might be his skating that separates him from the elite. However if he can get two really good skaters on a line with him it might not matter.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
He reminds me of comrie. Both small. Both have good hands. Both have good vision. Both aren't the greatest skaters. They also both don't shy away from physical contact for a small guy. If da costa can get 60 points like comrie, i'll be happy.

TTTT

Jan 7, 2010
I don't know Da Costa much, but he seems to have good potential from the games I saw.

If he would have been drafted, knowing that he got a lot to show, what would be his draft rank?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
he reminds me of grabovski during his earlier seasons. lots of heart and fearless and passionate

This is one thing that I've noticed as well. He seems to take hits really well and he always plays hard -- but man he has taken some hits.

Manny*

I'm surprised to see so many people knock his skating.

I've always thought that his skating was quite good. Good acceleration and a smooth stride with the puck. Maybe I'm missing something.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I don't know Da Costa much, but he seems to have good potential from the games I saw.

If he would have been drafted, knowing that he got a lot to show, what would be his draft rank?

Given that he's small player with talent and hockey sense I suppose he's like a bottom 1st or 2nd rounder that by the age of 21, is showing hockey sense could be what separates him and the other small skill guys that don't cut it.

But really, that wonky skating stride and size issues...you can see why he wasn't drafted at all. At the end of the day he's probably just an undrafted guy with hands...but hockey sense is what's helping him out big time. He sees thinks as fast as anyone on the ice so far.

His skill set has reminded me since day 1 of Kadri, Kadri's a cleaner skater and certainly looks more like a blue chipper...but at the end of the day these two may actually be similarly effective at the NHL level.

I'm surprised to see so many people knock his skating.

I've always thought that his skating was quite good. Good acceleration and a smooth stride with the puck. Maybe I'm missing something.

I think he's a better skater than he looks. He is not fluid and kinda skates like a child...I've found it surprising he can hold his ground, and he's gotten by a couple Dmen 1 on 1 where it looks like it's going slow motion...

I think it's similar, although it much lower level, to Jeff Skinner. Going into the draft some marveled at his edgework and balance, and how he could slip into holes effortlessly...but the straight ahead stride and overall speed had issues.

So far it seems like Da Costa is always finding the guy in the seem...or finding a seem to be found in.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Given that he's small player with talent and hockey sense I suppose he's like a bottom 1st or 2nd rounder that by the age of 21, is showing hockey sense could be what separates him and the other small skill guys that don't cut it.

But really, that wonky skating stride and size issues...you can see why he wasn't drafted at all. At the end of the day he's probably just an undrafted guy with hands...but hockey sense is what's helping him out big time. He sees thinks as fast as anyone on the ice so far.

His skill set has reminded me since day 1 of Kadri, Kadri's a cleaner skater and certainly looks more like a blue chipper...but at the end of the day these two may actually be similarly effective at the NHL level.

I think he's a better skater than he looks. He is not fluid and kinda skates like a child...I've found it surprising he can hold his ground, and he's gotten by a couple Dmen 1 on 1 where it looks like it's going slow motion...

I think it's similar, although it much lower level, to Jeff Skinner. Going into the draft some marveled at his edgework and balance, and how he could slip into holes effortlessly...but the straight ahead stride and overall speed had issues.

So far it seems like Da Costa is always finding the guy in the seem...or finding a seem to be found in.

I don't see the Kadri comparison. Could you elaborate?

4thliner*

He is an excellent smooth skater.....if anything maybe a bit more lower body strength would help him in order to be explosive for his size ala St. Louis

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Best rookie forward on the Sens so far, and I'd be tempted to say best rookie period so far on the Sens if I wasn't so impressed with Cowen at times. Outside of our established Vets, Da Costa has shown by far the best offensive acumen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad