Stéphane Da Costa

BigEyedPhish

Aug 23, 2006
:D
has looked bloody brilliant..

Coming into this season in Ottawa all the spotlight was on Z-bad, Rundblad, and Cowen.. However I think it is safe to say that so far the guy who has stood out the most is Stephane DaCosta... He seems to be everywhere. He would have more points if some of his line-mates could get used to some of his passes, which seem to come out of nowhere.. Alfy himself seemed a little too surprised by some passes last game against Minnesota.

Some on our board have said he looks like Daniel Briere, which I have to kind of agree. I can't remember what Briere looked like his rookie season, but I can't think he is that far off..

Either way, I think the Little Parisian needed some props on the prospects forum, I realize he probably has a thread already, but the search function was broken.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I've only seen him twice, in his game vs. the Leafs at the end of last season, and his game vs. the Leafs just the other day. I was pretty impressed by him in the game last season, a little waterbug who generated a number of good scoring chances. Last game I didn't notice him too much except for when he got absolutely destroyed by Phaneuf (definitely needs to learn to keep his head up, should have seen that hit coming from a mile away), but that's probably because I was too focused on the Leafs almost-choke-job! Nice hands though, for sure.

Last edited:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Blown out of the water by his talent level and shocked by his grit for a little dude. He's gonna be a player in the NHL - whether or not he plays the whole year this year, or has to spend some time in the AHL, he'll be back.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
Yeah my favourite part of that is that you could see him on the bench saying "****, my fault" after the hit. Then he scored a sick goal in the last two minutes of the third - his first ever in the NHL - to bring the Sens within one.

His puck-handling is phenomenal and while he needs to bulk up more to really be a top-two line centre he doesn't back down and continues to perform even when taking a beating. In time I think he could become like a poor man's Briere (EDIT: Credit where credit is due, I think Shanny first made this comparison) and a fine second-line centre.

But of course that's us extrapolating from a very small number of games in which we've seen him play.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
has looked bloody brilliant..

Coming into this season in Ottawa all the spotlight was on Z-bad, Rundblad, and Cowen.. However I think it is safe to say that so far the guy who has stood out the most is Stephane DaCosta... He seems to be everywhere. He would have more points if some of his line-mates could get used to some of his passes, which seem to come out of nowhere.. Alfy himself seemed a little too surprised by some passes last game against Minnesota.

Some on our board have said he looks like Daniel Briere, which I have to kind of agree. I can't remember what Briere looked like his rookie season, but I can't think he is that far off..

Either way, I think the Little Parisian needed some props on the prospects forum, I realize he probably has a thread already, but the search function was broken.

Briere had blazing speed coming out of junior, whereas DaCosta does not have that element to his game. He has, IMO, more imagination than Briere.

The kid has looked amazing so far. He obviously needs to get a bit stronger, but what first year player doesn't?

I am stoked that the Sens managed to get this kid inked. He'll have a pretty good NHL career.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
His hockey iq and vision have been pretty evident since day 1 last year. He's certainly got talent and his smarts seem to make up for his wheels. Youd think He'd get pushed around but he's surprisingly strong on his feet so far.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
i think he might have the best hands and vision on the team after Spezza.
he certainly has a unique element to his game.

He's already at the point for me that im looking for him to make something happen whenever he's on the ice. i look forward to his shifts as much as anyone else on the team.

If he's really this good, its like we hit a lottery pick.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
So this thread has been entirely Sens fans, and one of the most "Sen forgiving" Leafs posters (I don't mean that in a bad way) :laugh:

At this point, most threads about rookies should stay on a teams board because no one has anything to really say about them. Da Costa has been impressive but I think we'd be well-served to wait before threads like this, and not just because he might cool down. I was really interested to see what opposition fans had to say but its not like we're going to have loads of Minnesota fans praising him in here!

squidz*

I think he looks like...

He fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

Better than expected hockey from him though.

Pietraneglo222

71KR

BigEyedPhish

Aug 23, 2006
:D

He's already at the point for me that im looking for him to make something happen whenever he's on the ice. i look forward to his shifts as much as anyone else on the team.

Karlsson has great vision as well. I'd go as far to say Karlsson has better vision than Spezza.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Was one of the most hyped signable players on this board for about 2 years. Glad to see he's finally made it and playing well.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I've only seen him twice, in his game vs. the Leafs at the end of last season, and his game vs. the Leafs just the other day. I was pretty impressed by him in the game last season, a little waterbug who generated a number of good scoring chances. Last game I didn't notice him too much except for when he got absolutely destroyed by Phaneuf (definitely needs to learn to keep his head up, should have seen that hit coming from a mile away), but that's probably because I was too focused on the Leafs almost-choke-job! Nice speed and hands though, for sure.

And you never saw where he and Karlsson played the Leafs at one point? Or when he split the Leafs D perfectly but failed to gain control of the puck?

Interesting.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
And you never saw where he and Karlsson played the Leafs at one point? Or when he split the Leafs D perfectly but failed to gain control of the puck?

Interesting.

He put the puck through carl gunnarsson's skates. We should just give him a spot in the hall of fame right now!

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I've caught pieces of a few Senators games this season, I've liked what I saw.

He's caused a few takeovers too. It's early and I'd need to see more before really assessing him, but he kind of looks like a poor's man Datsyuk.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I've caught pieces of a few Senators games this season, I've liked what I saw.

He's caused a few takeovers too. It's early and I'd need to see more before really assessing him, but he kind of looks like a poor's man Datsyuk.

Similar skill sets...the kids vision and smarts are very high. He seems like the type of player that can find chemistry with anyone, you can tell he just feels the ice. He's got a great stick too...his responsibility and smarts with the puck have been very good.

Skating is his weakness but he's got good balance and it doesn't keep him from making the right play...but it's what will likely separate from the top tier players in the league.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

Interesting.
Was eating my first turkey dinner of the weekend while watching the game, and watching the Leafs more than the Sens, will make sure to pay more attention to the kid next time.

BradyTkachucky

Jul 31, 2005
Ottawa

see: Karlsson, Erik:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad