SSM Greyhounds Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
OHL Gold Cup rosters are out. Looks like 4 of our prospects are playing.

2019, 1st Holmes, Jacob (D)
2019, 3rd Boudreau, Marc (F)
2019, 6th Brzustowski, Luc (D)
2019, 10th Brown, Hunter (D)

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Certainly food for thought. However, looking at this from the other side offers a different viewpoint:
1) LeGuerrier may get picked up in the NHL draft this year (he is a late birthyear, and this is his first draft). If he gets drafted and has a good season next year he might get signed and we might not have two OA LD.
2) This season we had two OA RD. While not ideal, this proves that management will go this route under certain scenarios. Arguably RD is even harder to replace than LD.
3) Based on our depth chart, we may end up without enough RD on the roster anyway and playing an LD on their off side. If that happens then having two OA LD doesn't hurt us as much because we just move a defenseman back to their natural side once the two OAs finish their last season.
4) If management doesn't believe Calisti will develop as well as Wale, they may choose to move Calisti and keep Wale.

1) I sent you a post just now explaining the Vilalta thing and ELC's, and LeGuerrier's situation is another good example. Being a late birthday, teams can draft him, sign him and send him back for his OA year without worrying about burning an ELC year. So unless they think he is simply amazing and is ready for AHL duty right away, they'll likely send him back for his OA year. Perks of drafting a late birthday. LeGuerrier is not the type of quality player who is likely going to be good enough to say he shouldn't be going back for his OA year, so I'd plan without him. Worst case, you have to trade for a OA LD replacement after trading Wale, and you still probably end up with a net gain in the end.
2) That's exactly why I don't think they'll go with two OA LD. LD are not hard to find. You are going to have Calisti, Halushak and the 6th round guy you just drafted (I'm not even going to bother trying to spell his name, but I'd count on him being an option within the next year or two), and you could easily find more in trades which won't even cost a lot. RD you had two OA's because you had nothing behind them... You had to put someone on their off-side until you acquired Wawrow at the TDL. Plus they were really good; far better than the LD's, so it was totally different.
3) I have nothing really to say for that. It's true, but I think there's a good chance SSM invests in RD through trade (perhaps getting a few OA's) or the Import draft, so I doubt they play guys on their off-sides.
4) They may decide that Calisti is not good enough, but the idea would be to make the bottom pairing LD role kind of a rotation to ease Halushak into the OHL and to have Calisti face some competition. If Wale, LeGuerrier and O'Rourke, Halushak is not going to get much ice time.

Personally, I wouldn't mind SSM trying out a defense that looked something like this for next year:

O'Rourke-OA
LeGuerrier-Holmes
Calisti-Wawrow
Halushak-Import

If the Import is good enough, he can start bumping guys down the lineup. At the TDL, if SSM is competitive and one of those younger guys aren't good enough, then maybe you see a trade to bolster that group, but I think it's a solid group to start with at least. Use the last open OA spot to either get Taylor an OA partner, or to add an OA center to replace some lost depth down the middle.

Reactions: HockeyPops

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Love reading your posts. One more thought from me here; I wonder if the Soo considers only carrying 7 defense this year? They have such great forward depth, that carrying 15 forwards might allow more development there.

Great discussion going on in here!

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
O'Rourke-OA
LeGuerrier-Holmes
Calisti-Wawrow
Halushak-Import
I have crafted different responses to this every day, but keep flip flopping as to what I think would be best.

I believe we need to address goaltending and defense through adding OA and the Import draft. Ultimately, this management team seems to favour developing players internally over trading for players, so how do we address these areas with the minimum transactions required? My answer is to release Pucek, draft an import goalie, and trade for one OA defenseman while keeping all of O'Rourke, LeGuerrier, Wale, and Holmes. That gives us 5 defensemen capable of playing top 4 minutes. That also gives us the flexibility to add one more OA at the trade deadline if we really want to. We might still find our forward group needs bolstering but won't know until we get going if that's the case.

Sure, we could look at moving Wale, and then getting another OA d to replace him, but are we any further ahead by doing that? Their has to be a clear cut reason for management to make a transaction, or they aren't going to do it.

If we are able to package up Calisti or a forward when we trade for the OA defenseman we probably look at that, but otherwise our forward group probably remains intact minus Pucek.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
TheScout.ca - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds Top 10 Prospects

Full article (including the list) is behind the paywall. But it's still 3 paragraphs worth a look. Excerpts:

The list is heavy on 2018 draftees but it is 2019 selections Jacob Holmes and Marc Boudreau who lead the way.
Tyson Tomasini, Kalvyn Watson, and Dominic Mufarreh were forwards we liked from the 2002 age group and will be on the short list to grab roster spots.
Finn Brown, Nate Mann, Matthew Halushak and Cole McGuire all put themselves very much in the mix with strong seasons.
We weren’t overly high on the Greyhounds 2019 draft

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
2018, 13th - McIntyre, Justin (G)

Congratulation to Justin McIntyre and the Young Eagle Mannheim, who won the German U17 Division 1 Championships at the end of March. Young Eagle Mannheim went through the Southern Conference as the top team, and in the Finals played against the Northern Conference winners Polar Bears Junior Berlin. McIntyre played the final, recording a 5-1 win and claiming the championship. Congrats!

Translated website:
In the fight for the championship of the U17 DNL Division I met from Friday to Sunday, the best U17 teams in Bad Tölz each other. Ultimately, the Jungadler Mannheim in the final of the German Championship with 5: 1 prevail against the polar bears Juniors Berlin and celebrate the German championship in the U17 .
THAT WAS GOING ON THE WEEKEND: YOUNG EAGLES SECURE U20 AND U17 CHAMPIONSHIP!

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
OHL Gold Cup rosters are out. Looks like 4 of our prospects are playing.

2019, 1st Holmes, Jacob (D)
2019, 3rd Boudreau, Marc (F)
2019, 6th Brzustowski, Luc (D)
2019, 10th Brown, Hunter (D)
All 4 prospects got on the tournament score sheet. Brown & Holmes with a point, Brzustowski with 2 points, and Boudreau finished tied for 5th in tournament scoring with 5 points, and his GTHL Red team lost a close gold medal game. Well done lads.

OHL Gold Cup Recap; Four Hounds among 100+ participants

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
2017 5th - Beecher, John (F)

2019 NHL Draft: 10 Risers from Top 350 for May
6) John Beecher (LC, USA, NTDP U18)
APRIL RANKING: 70
MAY RANKING: 31
VARIATION: +39
ANALYSIS: Beecher blew me away at the U18s. Quite literally, with his speed — I knew he was fast, but not THAT fast. He blazed a trail right into my first round. Speed is the name of the game in the NHL right now and Beecher has the size to go with it. He’s been compared to Ryan Kesler — as a two-way force and both wearing No. 17 — but Beecher also reminds me of another Ryan in Ryan McLeod, who fell to Edmonton in the second round last year (40th in 2018).
Beecher has been up and down my rankings to date — 55, 47, 27, 32, 38, 54, 53, 70, now 31 — but his performance at the U18s sold me on him being a top-40 pick. I had concerns over Beecher’s offensive upside — thus the fall into my third-round range — but he alleviated those concerns by scoring a few nice goals in that tourney and displaying good offensive instincts. I think the offence — the numbers — will come for him in time and with increased opportunity. I was torn on Beecher for much of the draft year, but I’ve decided I like the player. He’s going to be a player.
Note, TheHockeyWriters now have both Caufield and Beecher ranked in the top 31 (first round).

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
2019 3rd - Boudreau, Marc (F)

Prospect Pipeline - 2019 OHL Gold Cup Top Performers
Marc Boudreau
2018-19 Team: Toronto Marlboros (GTHL)
Drafted: Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, 59th Overall
Gold Cup Statistics: 3G, 2A, 5PTS

Although his team came up short in their Gold Medal game against Team GTHL Blue, Marc Boudreau proved to be an unrelenting force throughout the 2019 OHL Gold Cup. Owing to his hard-working nature and determination on the ice, Boudreau played an influential role in all three zones and came to be counted upon by his coaching staff regardless of the situation.

Come to the end of the tournament, Boudreau had tallied three goals and two assists for a four game total of five points. Placed in a tie for fifth-overall in tournament scoring, Boudreau’s ability to impact the outcome of every single game in a variety of different ways spoke to his value as a prospect and bright future within the game. A downright steal by the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds in the third-round of the 2019 OHL Draft, Boudreau’s consistency and raw lethality should allow him to translate to the OHL-level with ease in the year’s ahead.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Hounds to take camp on the road
The Hounds 2019 Orientation and Development Camp will be held at the Mastercard Centre, practice facility of the NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs and the AHL’s Toronto Marlies, May 31 – June 1.
a group of roughly 24 forwards, 12 defencemen and six netminders will attend the two-day camp in Toronto.
Here are our draft picks over the last two years (excepting Caufield, McNair, Rauch, Ebrahim). Looks like we might be looking at an additional 8 forwards, 4 defense, and 1 goaltender invites as free agents.

2018, 4th - Kerins, Rory (F)
2018, 5th - Watson, Kalvyn (F)
2018, 7th - Mufarreh, Dominic (F)
2019, 3rd - Boudreau, Marc (F)
2019, 4th - D'Intino, Jordan (F)
2019, 5th - Parsons, Owen (F)
2019, 8th - Haymes, Luke (F)
2018, 8th - Tomasini, Tyson (F)
2018, 8th - Mann, Nate (F)
2019, 9th - Chiddenton, Rhys (F)
2019, 11th - Savard, Tyler (F)
2018, 11th - Brown, Finn (F)
2019, 13th - Miller, Connor (F)
2018, 14th - Gorton, Jack (F)
2019U, 1st - Frechette, Alexandre (F)
2019U, 3rd - Timchenko, Alexander (F)

2018, 1st - O'Rourke, Ryan (D)
2019, 1st - Holmes, Jacob (D)
2019, 6th - Brzustowski, Luc (D)
2018, 7th - McGuire, Cole (D)
2018, 9th - Halushak, Matthew (D)
2019, 10th - Brown, Hunter (D)
2019, 14th - DeVries, Luke (D)
2019, 15th - Heroux, Logan (D)

2019, 7th - Taylor, Coulter (G)
2018, 10th - Parker, Owen (G)
2019, 12th - Di Pasquo, Luca (G)
2018, 13th - McIntyre, Justin (G)
2019U, 2nd - Zeppa, Noah (G)

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Theriault going to the Dogs
Theriault, who has a 2000 birth date, was selected by Niagara in the 12th round of the 2016 OHL priority selections draft. He has since suited up for the Soo Thunderbirds of the Northern Ontario Jr. Hockey League.
76 points for the Soo Thunderbirds this year. Not bad for a 2000 born. Congrats to signing with Niagara.

There is another 2000 born Soo Thunderbird that had 76 points this year. Noah Boman was drafted in his major midget year by the Greyhounds in the 2017 U18 draft. He lead the entire NOJHL this season with 1.52 pts per game.

The Greyhounds have some options going into 2019-2020.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Jacob Holmes signed today. Updated depth chart in first post.

If everyone returns from last year's team besides those graduating, there are only 2 roster spots remaining (one of which is a goaltender). This is assuming Holmes has a spot, along with Watson and Mufarreh which I think are all highly likely. It's also assuming Hayton, Pucek, and Jacklin have spots which might be less likely.

Regardless, there will be lots of competition for the remaining roster spots in training camp this year. Boudreau, D'Intino, Brzustowski, McGuire, Tomasini, Mann, Halushak, Brown, Frechette, Boman are all going to be gunning for the remaining few roster spots, and that doesn't even include our goaltenders. If Raftis feels we have more OHL quality players than spots, we very well might see trades before training camp, or we might see him carry extra players after training camp with an eye to making trades and finding spots for these players on other teams.

Next season there will likely be even fewer spots opening up on our roster, with only one 1999 OA retiring, and perhaps only one or two other spots opening up as our group of 2000's gets pared down to 3. If Raftis feels he has more quality OHLers than spots, he does a disservice to these players by not giving them an opportunity somewhere by trading them.

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Hounds ink Holmes to deal
Peter Ruicci ends his article with this:
Asked about his present interest in signing other drafted players, Raftis said: “We’re working on a couple of other guys right now.”
Raftis doesn't make a habit of signing guys that aren't going to play. If he's really working on signing two more players and successfully does so, that would bring the number of signed returning players to 24(!) Not many spots to earn at training camp this year, for sure. Off season transactions may be coming yet.

Edit: With the lack of open roster spots, I reckon the only players that it makes sense for Raftis to be working on signing right now would be Caufield, Beecher and Kupari.

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
https://www.saultstar.com/sports/local-sports/dean-raftis-impressed-by-hopefuls

“There’s a lot of good talent in the pipeline,” said Dean, who got a chance to see numerous Hounds prospects at the 2019 Orientation and Development Camp at the Mastercard Centre in Toronto. “Give credit to our scouting staff.”

“I can’t wait for our main training camp in August,” Dean added. “There will be a lot of guys pushing each other.”
General manager Kyle Raftis agreed.

Raftis spoke of how in past years, the Hounds have been able to identify players who’ll likely make the team in August, and those not quite ready.

“Not this time,” Raftis said. “Our guys were really close in a lot of categories. There was less separation between players. There’s no question our main camp will be very competitive.”

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Found a scouting report from last year on Tanner Dickinson

http://mihockey.com/2018/04/top-2002-birth-year-players-to-know-before-this-weeks-ohl-draft/
Tanner Dickinson (Oakland Jr. Grizzlies 15U) – “Smaller, skilled forward who can play all three forward positions. Has a good sense for the game, reading and reacting to the play quicker than a majority of his opponents. Solid playmaking center who sees the ice well – getting the puck to the guys who can score. Plays an honest 200-foot game. Supports the puck well in all three zones. Does a lot of the little things that help his team win.”

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Thanks for finding and posting that Pops. So it looks like he wasn't drafted in 2 drafts? He must really have said NO to anyone in the O about playing here vs Ohio State?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
A little disappointed about the Greyhounds lack of communication regarding this year's spring development camp. Nothing yet except a few tweets with no real information. For comparison, last off season they published an article the Monday following camp with a writeup and a link to the roster:

Last season's article:
Hounds complete Spring Development Camp – Soo Greyhounds

EDIT: Raftis tweeted out the roster - my bad for not finding it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad